BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Pitching a board game idea - The Battle of Cetza rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago, when I first read Joe Dever's "The Dungeons of Torgar" from the world of Magnamund series, when I got to the Battle of Cetza, I got completely lost in its setup layout that is depicted on one of the pages. I literally spent days reconstructing the map in some alternative video game editors and drawing it a lot of times, reading through the book several times to find out all of the different segments which vary based upon Lone Wolf's personal participation in the battle and then thought about all the theoretical possibilities.

While the fanbase for the series might not be as large as some other out there (e.g. the Tolkien empire) I still think that adapting it into a board game with good mechanics could be a significant success.

This is the map:

This game would have one atypical change. Normally game features forces of Evil which greatly outnumber the enemy and are orientated towards attacking. This is completely the other way; the Eruan and Lencian alliance is greatly outnumbering the enemy and is on the offensive, while the Drakkarim are on the defensive, desperately trying to utilize their strategic position.

The bridge is heavily fortified and attacking there, while it would almost immediately yield victory, would be nearly suicidal. the northern (rotate the map three hours clockwise) part is heavily entrenched, with stakes connecting the two hills and archer stakes all along, with a unit of Hammerlanders - very tough fighters - should anyone by chance even break through there and attempt to cut the Drakkar forces in two.

The Allies have two generals; King Sarnac and Prince Eru. Killing them will trigger victory for the Drakkarim as the Allied forces will rout.

The Drakkarim are led by Baron Shinzar (commander of the Drakkarim) who doesn't boost other units like these two, but is able to put up an immense fight himself, being a huge giant.

The ruined temple will feature the evil sorcerer, Ziran. Ziran could use his powerful magic blast along most of the map, occasionally bombarding the forces of Eru and Lencia, making it a priority to either take him down first (which would take forces and delay an attack on the main objective) or quickly rush for the objective as he keeps bombarding across the map.

The game would feature the forces of Eru and Lencia having Lone Wolf on their side. It is precisely the strategic usage of Lone Wolf and his tactical placement at hot spots that is necessary to win the game. The game would feature a small deck of cards featuring the Kai Lord's abilities (including a huge range of skills, such as those that heal damage, inflict on the enemy, speed up the hero, use ranged weapons, magic skills, etc). To make no two games the same, the Eru-Lencian player would have to choose among the deck of cards which would be Lone Wolf's skillset for the game, trying to figure out a good and useful combination.

I have been also thinking that Lone Wolf's starting skillset may also represent the difficulty in a way. Say, 1 advanced and 3 basic skill cards would be standard; every new card will grant the Drakkar player special tokens which he can use to make consecutive turns in the game on his wish and/or get a free blast from Ziran.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.