8 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Neccessary of the Keeper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
Thinking about getting this game, but I'm a bit unsure which edition would be the right choice.
We really enjoy co-op games, but most of the time we don't have a 3rd person to play the role of the Keeper (even if we had, they would most likely want join us co-operating, rather than act against us).
So, there is a 1st and a 2nd edition. Is it possible to play any of them without an actual Keeper? I mean, like 2 players in co-op only. Or is it like Descent, where the Overlord is indispensable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you definitely want the 2nd edition App feature. That way you won't need a Keeper player and you can all just enjoy the solo play.I already have all the 1st ed. stuff, but I would seriously recommend getting the 1st. edition if you can find it reasonable. Reason is you will be getting a lot of Mini's and tiles that will work with the new system. I think all that content is worth it and when you really get into version 2, you are more than likely going to wish you had all those investigators and monsters from the first edition.

Now, having said that, FFG is hinting that those mini's might be made available down the road, so I guess you could roll the dice and hope they come through on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also as a side note...Descent 2nd edition now also has an app that gets rid of the overlord called Road to Legend. If the overlord was the only thing holding you back from Descent you may want to check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
thebaker1983 wrote:
Also as a side note...Descent 2nd edition now also has an app that gets rid of the overlord called Road to Legend. If the overlord was the only thing holding you back from Descent you may want to check it out!

Really? Now, that's some good news!
I own the 1st edition, though...
Might be great if it could be used with that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Sounds like you definitely want the 2nd edition App feature. That way you won't need a Keeper player and you can all just enjoy the solo play.I already have all the 1st ed. stuff, but I would seriously recommend getting the 1st. edition if you can find it reasonable. Reason is you will be getting a lot of Mini's and tiles that will work with the new system. I think all that content is worth it and when you really get into version 2, you are more than likely going to wish you had all those investigators and monsters from the first edition.

Now, having said that, FFG is hinting that those mini's might be made available down the road, so I guess you could roll the dice and hope they come through on that.

Thanks!
For now I would be fine with the base game, but I thought this Keeper thing might be something that could be solved by some other way, like a variant or an automatized Keeper, maybe something along the lines of that of Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
sorgur wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:

Really? Now, that's some good news!
I own the 1st edition, though...
Might be great if it could be used with that too.

FFG stopped support for Descent 1st Edition years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorgur wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:

Thanks!
For now I would be fine with the base game, but I thought this Keeper thing might be something that could be solved by some other way, like a variant or an automatized Keeper, maybe something along the lines of that of Arkham Horror.

There have been many attempts (i have done a few), but it's a tough nut to crack since each scenario is different with different goals. You definitely want second edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
kittenhoarder wrote:
sorgur wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:

Thanks!

There have been many attempts (i have done a few), but it's a tough nut to crack since each scenario is different with different goals. You definitely want second edition.

Okay, convinced enough.
Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.