1 , 2  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Any plans for additional factions/characters beyond 7? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zhang Zewen
msg tools
mbmb
It is definitely exciting to see the artwork and learn more about the 2 factions from Invaders from Afar.

Introducing more factions and characters,in my opinion, helps to build up the world of a game and allow players to be invested in the discussion of the lore. I always look forward to seeing more diversity with balance game design.

Are there plans to release more factions or characters after this expansion? Or would this be limited by the faction icons already planned on the game board?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Zhang: I've brainstormed a few ideas for other factions that would either take over the home bases of existing factions or be accessible via tunnel off of the board, but at this point they're just early ideas. Also, I'm curious to see how Jakub wants to expand the world--Scythe is largely an art-first design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhang Zewen
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the prompt reply Jamey.
Sounds like the possibilities are endless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured the two extra places were for expansions, plural. You could then decide which expansions you wanted to own, and if you own them all you could just choose which ones to use in any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I hope that when you get together with Jakub, you also have a good writer join you guys so we might start getting some novels based on this out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Guy: I'm waiting for a proposal from my author of choice. I think he's the right person for the job, but the proposal will aid the decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel M
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can definitely see endless factions if all they do is cover starting faction home bases. Just have faction home base tiles that cover existing homes and similar river walking abilities. Balancing would be key with each new faction as well.

Jamey, have you thought about giving the workers special powers like Tuscany special workers? Maybe the last worker out on the player mat could have a special power like produce twice the resources or can move resources to other tiles. I think that could be interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Miguel: That's a really neat idea! I hadn't thought about giving specific workers different powers, but I think that's pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
Dexposure.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
here's another crazy idea: make the Euporian faction, where the workers are dice that are rolled and put on their player mat, the pip number will represent military strength(high number)/productivity (low number) when sent out on the board. When the worker is sent to home base they are rerolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Zhang: I've brainstormed a few ideas for other factions that would either take over the home bases of existing factions or be accessible via tunnel off of the board, but at this point they're just early ideas. Also, I'm curious to see how Jakub wants to expand the world--Scythe is largely an art-first design.

Wait...the tunnel faction from Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia? I smell crossover!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realkingmiggi wrote:
I can definitely see endless factions if all they do is cover starting faction home bases. Just have faction home base tiles that cover existing homes and similar river walking abilities. Balancing would be key with each new faction as well.

Jamey, have you thought about giving the workers special powers like Tuscany special workers? Maybe the last worker out on the player mat could have a special power like produce twice the resources or can move resources to other tiles. I think that could be interesting!

Great idea! Grande worker is moving over to his new box with a new "produce double resources" action!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I do enjoy crossover stuff! I've been hesitant to do that with Scythe because it's Jakub's world, though it's fun to talk about the ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With alternative player mats, you could add in new buildings, workers, just about anything.

Upgrades that attach to units / buildings / workers.

Recruit secret agents or diplomats that occupy other players' faction or player mats, allowing blocking actions or adding trade benefits respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhang Zewen
msg tools
mbmb
In terms of flavor, it will be awesome to see factions from other parts of the world like China, India, Middle East, Africa etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Closer to the scene of action, how about Magyar, Bohemians or Bulgarians?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of some cool mechs for all of those areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

zhangzewen wrote:
In terms of flavor, it will be awesome to see factions from other parts of the world like China, India, Middle East, Africa etc.

...so literally a tunnel through the world to China? whistle

While ideas for additional factions are cool, I think there's some time before we need anything beyond what is already there & in process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comin soon: Return of Scythe, Son of Scythe, Revenge of Scythe and Syche, the Next Generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaus O K wrote:
Comin soon: Return of Scythe, Son of Scythe, Revenge of Scythe and Scythe, the Next Generation.

Scythe II: The Wrath of Scythe
Scythe III: The Search for Scythe
Scythe IV: The Scythe Home
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe Alone 2: The Scythquel
Scythe Too: Electric Boogaloo
Scythe 3d: Scyt Just Got Real

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Watts
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danwarr wrote:
Klaus O K wrote:
Comin soon: Return of Scythe, Son of Scythe, Revenge of Scythe and Scythe, the Next Generation.

I thought it was:

Scythe II: The Factory Strikes Back
Scythe III: The Return of the Engineer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffjwatts wrote:
Danwarr wrote:
Klaus O K wrote:

I thought it was:

Scythe II: The Factory Strikes Back
Scythe III: The Return of the Engineer

Scythe Episode I: The Phantom Scythe
Scythe Episode II: The Scythe Wars
Scythe Episode III: Revenge of the Scythe
Scythe Episode IV: A New Scythe
Scythe Episode V: The Scythe Strikes Back
Scythe Episode VI: Return of the Scythe
Scythe Episode VII: The Scythe Awakens

Scythe One: A Scythe Story

Silence of the Scythe

Scythebusters

Scythe's List

Lord of the Scythes: The Fellowship of the Scythe
Lord of the Scythes: The Two Scythes
Lord of the Scythes: Return of the Scythe

The Scythe: An Unexpected Scythe
The Scythe: The Desolation of Scythe
The Scythe: Battle of the Five Scythes

The Scytheshank Redemption

The Dark Scythe

12 Angry Scythes

Scytheception

It's a Wonderful Scythe

Scythe Away

Saving Private Scythe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John di Battista
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
There's always the possibility of expanding the current factions instead of adding new ones. New leaders and leader/player boards certainly seem like a possibility. New mech types with different rules/specializations as cards which sit above the player board seem . Allow players to mix and match mechs from their faction for different effect.

Also if we're brain storming, perhaps there could be a neutral hex sized megamech which sits on the factory in token form (so players can place pieces on top of it). The first player to bring a (large) number of resources to the factory can repair it and activate it. It takes up an entire hex and cannot coexist with any other mechs or characters (workers can still ride on it) and cannot use tunnels. On on one hand it's a combat and resource harvesting beast, on the other it's incredibly invasive and lowers peoples appraisal of you. The way it works is that every time it moves the previous space (except the factory) is covered with a desolation tile. Desolation tiles give no resources, lose all encounter tokens and each time one is placed you lose some amount of approval. If you desolate a village you lose a lot of approval. When ever it moves onto a new space you immediately gain a fair number of the produced resource (without having to spend a harvest) plus one for each worker riding on top of it with the exception of villages which you get nothing for. The megamech has a sizable combat bonus can only initiate combats when it moves into an occupied hex like a normal mech. Opponents however can initiate combats from any adjacent hex. Further more when combat is initiated against the megamech any player who has combat units adjacent may pledge them to the fight. Only the initiator can add power to the fight, but anyone with a stake in it can play combat cards. When/if the megamech dies it leaves behind a destroyed mech tile (flip side of the factory tile) on the tile it occupied replacing the good it produced. Workers may perform produce actions on the mech corpse and retrieve their choice of wood, oil or metal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Temple
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Guy: I'm waiting for a proposal from my author of choice. I think he's the right person for the job, but the proposal will aid the decision.

George RR Martin's plate might be a little full, don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Stafford
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaGeRit wrote:
There's always the possibility of expanding the current factions instead of adding new ones. New leaders and leader/player boards certainly seem like a possibility. New mech types with different rules/specializations as cards which sit above the player board seem . Allow players to mix and match mechs from their faction for different effect.

I like these ideas a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.