Hide
7 Posts

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar» Forums » General

Subject: Storm of Sigmar brought me back but now I'm confused... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shayne Hull
msg tools
I left Games Workshop last year after 15 years because of their dodgy tactics (re-releasing rulebooks after just 2 years!) and ridiculous prices.

The Storm of Sigmar box set brought me back. Great price with great content. I also really like the simplified rules.

Anyway, having known the Old World of Warhammer, I'm quite confused as to Age of Sigmar's relationship with the previous Warhammer world.

Is Age of Sigmar set after the previous Warhammer setting? Or does it completely get rid of that as if it never existed?

Some armies have stayed but have new names. Others seem to be gone all together. Is this right? No more Empire? Where are the High Elves?

Does this also mean all the characters are gone? No more Teclis? Karl Franz?

From what I've read so far it seems like all of this could still fit the new setting. Are there plans to release new Empire and High Elves (probably under a different name) armies?

Lastly, Total War and the Warhammer Quest card game from Fantasy Flight are fairly new releases but set in the Old World. Why? This just seems confusing.

Mostly I'm happy with the new setting, the new armies (especially the Stormcast Eternals), the cheaper starter set (Storm of Sigmar) and the simpler rules. Though I feel like I'm the odd one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Sigmar is set centuries after the End Times event that finished off the Old World, and there are references to what was throughout the various books. It is essentially its own thing, however, and from what I can tell is redefining a lot of the old setting with some broad strokes. This does mean that, for the most part, old loved characters are gone, with a few exceptions, and the focus has thus far been on more generic characters that fit the roles that the old characters did.

As for the various factions, all have had a release of PDF rules that cover the old miniatures that were out at the end of 8th edition, and most have made the conversion to a new faction - the Empire is now split into the Free Guilds, the Ironweld Arsenal (along with some of the old Dwarf stuff) and the Faithful of Sigmar (which seriously need more options to be viable...), Brettonia seems to have vanished from the current rules, and the High Elves have been split into 5-6 different sub-factions. The Orks split into the Savage Orruks and the new Bonesplitters sub-faction, and they've introduced Fyreslayers alongside the classic dwarf armies from 8th edition.

Finally, I believe that the licensed games are still set in the Old World as that's what the License says. It takes time to update game lisences, and I expect we'll likely start seeing stuff for the AoS setting sometime next year - and we're already seeing a few games directly from GW as well.

And you're definitely not the only one - it's great that you can just print off a few pages, grab a couple of pages, and get a free rulesheet and start playing AoS - though I'd definitely suggest looking at the General's Handbook, as that really addresses a lot of issues that people have been having with the basic AoS ruleset (primarily, adding a points system to the game, allowing for more balanced force building).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Hull
msg tools
Thanks for the detailed reply. That does clear up a lot. I'm really keen to get into this as it's a great setting with not-too-complex-rules and amazing miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Mogos
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add one more thing... If you liked the Old World fluff and setting better, there is still nothing stopping you from playing your ancient even if discontinued army using new rules and old setting. Every model that existed in the 8th edition got rules, and even points, including Bretonnia and Tomb Kings. Some of the names may have been obscured, though, but the free app will help you figure out what is what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you really enjoyed the old Warhammer fluff I suggest reading some of the Age of Sigmar novels... They really bring the new universe and its characters to life. So much of the depth of the old world came from the old novels that it's not fair to expect to get the same depth from the new universe unless you are willing to dive into the new fiction.

The Black Library has many of the new stories available as audio dramas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Perez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The old world blew up and the realms were contaminated and consumed by Chaos. Sigmar saved some but mostly grabbed himself all the heroes he needed to reform them into his new super soldier army; the Stormcast Eternals.

The new setting is still in it's infancy, adding new stuff and expanding it's history, factions and everything. It's a great time to get into the game as it's basically a new game that just starting and growing.

At my local store the Age of Sigmar group is growing! I'm new, I had never played a table top war game and Storm of Sigmar was the perfect gateway drug. I'm reading the novels and the scenario books. I have the battletomes for the 2 starter set armies and I'm interested in 2 factions. I want to buy it all, but that's not happening... The hobby side of it is also great.

I'm also enjoying the Total War Warhammer videogame. It's all new to me since I had never played that type of video game either, but I love the setting and I think it's going towards the End Times storyline, which is exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, Age of Sigmar didn't destroy the Old World.

That was the End times stuff from 8th edition. GW pretty much have to do something different from there.

The major thing to understand about AoS is that it is Mythic Fantasy, along the lines of Greek myth. So everything is exaggerated, over the top fantasy.

That said, it is a surprisingly refreshing take on fantasy that is pretty fascinating once you get into the novels and sourcebooks.

AoS has made me start buying GW minis again for the first time in 15 years, and I am seriously considering building up small forces of at least 6 armies now....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.