Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else missing the Turner's Mill building tile for the solo variant in their copy? I'm not sure where it would even fit in the punch boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
Is anyone else missing the Turner's Mill building tile for the solo variant in their copy? I'm not sure where it would even fit in the punch boards.

We're looking into it - it was there on the same punchboard as the Whaling Track when we sent our proofs over. We're going to see if it's a limited mistake across the whole line or if it's just with a subset of prints. Sorry about that, and stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Yeah. It looks like I'm missing it as well. Here is what the whale track punchboard looks like for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hpbruin wrote:
Yeah. It looks like I'm missing it as well. Here is what the whale track punchboard looks like for me.

Thanks for the pic. It appears that this is true across the whole production, which is disappointing to all of us. We will post a print file here on BGG for those that want to use the tile while we print replacements to send to backers. I'm really sorry for the oversight.

- Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Despite the missing tile, this is a beautifully produced game and I'm looking forward to playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirkman wrote:
hpbruin wrote:

Thanks for the pic. It appears that this is true across the whole production, which is disappointing to all of us. We will post a print file here on BGG for those that want to use the tile while we print replacements to send to backers. I'm really sorry for the oversight.

- Chris

What! There's a tile missing?!? I was too distracted by the gorgeous art work and the lovely production job to notice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the solo game playable without this tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
danrodz wrote:
ckirkman wrote:

- Chris

What! There's a tile missing?!? I was too distracted by the gorgeous art work and the lovely production job to notice

Thanks for looking into this so quickly Chris!

I agree with Daniel, the artwork and production is so gorgeous that I hardly even notice a missing tile. I can't wait to try this out tonight (and if not tonight, then this weekend).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
Is the solo game playable without this tile?

Completely. It's a single extra building and its inclusion is already optional. Shouldn't affect the experience at all, but like Chris, I apologize for the mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lundberg
United States
Locust
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also seem to be missing the 4 captain tokens that are referred to in the solo variant rules. Anyone else? Or did I overlook them?

Regardless, I have been looking forward to this game since I backed it i October, and it looks like it will not disappoint. It is beautiful and VERY well made. I CAN NOT wait to get it on the table! Thanks for putting so much work into this labor of love!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TriviaGeek wrote:
I also seem to be missing the 4 captain tokens that are referred to in the solo variant rules. Anyone else? Or did I overlook them?

Regardless, I have been looking forward to this game since I backed it i October, and it looks like it will not disappoint. It is beautiful and VERY well made. I CAN NOT wait to get it on the table! Thanks for putting so much work into this labor of love!!!

Those are on the punchboard - they're the four circles with ship's wheels on them. The images in the rulebook are the previous designs. That punchboard was updated, while the rulebook was not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they were on the same punch sheet as the main board. They're pretty small and almost look like decoration. One in each player color to match the board backs, in case you're using more than 1.
Otherwise, there's nothing special about them, any old token will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Regardless of the missing tile, I'm impressed with the quality of the punchboard. As shown in the official unboxong video, the pieces almost literally fall off the sprue!

Printing is great, and the thickness is perfect.

Nice job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirkman wrote:
hpbruin wrote:

- Chris

Will you also be reprinting the 5 tiles from Rising Tide that have mistakes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
ckirkman wrote:
hpbruin wrote:

- Chris

Will you also be reprinting the 5 tiles from Rising Tide that have mistakes?

Which tiles are those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Storehouse: The built side says +3 brick, the rule book and unbuild side says +2 brick.

Newspaper: The built side says 3pts per 2 ship's log pages, the rule book and unbuild side says 1pt per 2 ship's log pages.

Loading Dock: Has the Post Office's power written on the built side.

College: The tile says 2 food and 2 brick to build, the rules say 2 food and 1 brick to build.

Salvage Yard: The tile says +4 VP for each 4 goods, rules say +1 VP for each 4 goods.

Edit: 6th misprinted tile found.
Municipal Office: The tile says 4 wood and 4 brick to build. The rules say 4 food and 4 brick to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for spotting those. We're keeping a list for corrections, and I'll post an Errata today.

The rulebook is the correct for the first 5.
The cost printed on the Municipal Office is correct (5 wood)

Strange thing is that some of these are correct in the proofs, so I'm not really sure what version the factory printed.

I don't know if there's a plan for reprints of these other tiles at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
Thanks for spotting those. We're keeping a list for corrections, and I'll post an Errata today.

Strange thing is that some of these are correct in the proofs, so I'm not really sure what version the factory printed.

Thanks, I've been really looking forward to this game and it's bummer to see so many errors as I'm sure it is even more so for you and the DHMG crew. I'm still looking forward to playing it this weekend.
If reprinting the tiles isn't possible, would you be able to provide the corrected tiles in a pdf so that we may print out stickers to fix our tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:

In a perfect world, everything that was correct when submitted to the printer would be re-printed correctly for free.

Fingers crossed for a solution that gets as much corrected as possible and at minimal cost to DHMG & GtG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm expecting my game today from the Kickstarter, and I have to say that my excitement, which was sky high, has been dampened somewhat. I LOVE Dice Hate Me games, and own many of them, and can't recall any of their games having this many issues. One missing non-essential tile I can live with, especially if they are going to follow through with sending backers a corrected one, but this seems like a remarkable amount of errors on printed tiles. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of putting stickers on game components that aren't meant to be there. I really don't want to have to refer to an errata sheet for five or six different tiles when I'm playing a game. I'm really surprised and disappointed about this, especially from a company that I have always associated with quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really sorry this has damped your enthusiasm. We expect a few typos to slip through the cracks but several of these are significant. We're certainly not happy about it either, but I do take responsibility, as I had a chance to catch a number of these. (And I don't know what happened to the ones that were correct in the proof.)

But GTG is definitely committed to the backers, and I'll do my best to see that we fix the problem. I'm really sorry that this has occurred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:

I do hope there is a proper plan to have these re-printed and sent to backers. One misprint I could accept; I'd even accept that amount of errors in the rulebook, but that amount of errors on the actual game components? What on earth has gone wrong?

I do hate it that when a Kickstarter I back, to supposedly get the game printed in the first place (the first release), correct the errors that crept through in the second printing, but then ignores the first edition backers that got the game printed in the first place. I am also not a fan of putting stickers on components to correct them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
Sivilized wrote:

Thanks, I've been really looking forward to this game and it's bummer to see so many errors as I'm sure it is even more so for you and the DHMG crew. I'm still looking forward to playing it this weekend.
If reprinting the tiles isn't possible, would you be able to provide the corrected tiles in a pdf so that we may print out stickers to fix our tiles?

i'll 2nd the PDF to print out stickers idea. obviously i'd like the tiles to be reprinted but in the meantime that's a lot of errata to keep track of and teach to new players. stickers would help a good deal with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGregor
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dislike making these types of posts, and want to do my best to not sound like some whiny entitled gamer. I am the rules teacher in my game group and have become quite familiar with rulebooks over the years. However, I noticed some things in the rules that just struck me as odd.

In the suggested 2-player buildings it lists a variety of buildings and then says "All Victory Buildings", even though some victory buildings were included in the list. It just seemed a bit redundant and confusing for a first time rules read. Additionally, if you look at the picture, which is assumed to be a 2-player setup, as there are two sets of player pieces, the buildings displayed are NOT the suggested 2-player buildings, but there are no rules to explain how that could happen.

Once I realized there was a recommended first time 2-player set up, I immediately began sorting the tiles and looking for a small 2 in the corner, or some other differentiating marker. As mentioned above, this also wasn't present. I will come back to this toward the bottom.

The whaling rules were worded in a strange way, IMO. Why whaling wasn't simply described as drawing tiles equal to the boats+1 is so strange to me. Instead it reads, "...If there is at least 1 ship on the whaling track, draw 1 token from the bag, followed by an additional token for each ship on the whaling track". Again, this isn't wrong, it just could have been simplified, and the way it is written required me to reread it a couple times.

In the Returning A Ship portion of the movement phase, they introduce the cost of the whale as a "lay". This is fantastic and thematic, and it is used throughout the entire paragraph. Then right below in Selling and Buying Whale Tokens, it is switched back to cost. At this point, you had taught me what a lay was, and I had taught this to the players at the table. When I switched back to "...first takes half of the cost of each sold token..." one person paused and said "is that the lay?" to which I replied, "I don't know...I think?".

Not having a reference for the sell price of goods is a bit of an oversight. Sure, its only 2 dollars for bricks, and a dollar for everything else but for less seasoned gamers, it would have made the whole experience a bit more welcoming.

Some clarity on the Tryworks is required. I can't go to a building if I can't use its function, but could I use the Tryworks on the last turn of the game if my boat doesn't have right whales? I still have a chance to fish, and statistically I am likely to draw at least one. Maybe this is just a firm no as I don't have any right whales currently.

Again, I am nitpicking, but these little things could have been polished by people who read rules often. The game has a nice simplicity, and could have been presented far more cleanly, but none of these are enough to frustrate me to not playing it anymore...except the following.

The integration of the expansion is an utter mess. I have played the game, read, and reread the rules, and I still have no idea how to do it in an easy way. The setup rules read as follows:

"When playing with the Expansion Buildings, randomly select 4 of the Suggested 2 Player Buildings from the New Bedford core game and 4 of the Suggested 2 Player Town Expansion Buildings. If playing with 3-4 players, also select 4 of the 3-4 Player Buildings from the core game and 4 of the 3-4 Player Town Expansion Buildings. Randomly select 2 Victory Buildings from each set as well."

However, none of these tiles are denoted on the tile as being "2 Player Suggested" or otherwise. That would have made everything SO EASY. Now I have to find the tile, remember if it from the base game or expansion, because that isn't marked on the tile, reference the base game or expansion rule book to see if it is a 2-player standard or larger game tile, and then do this 12 more times?

It does say that experienced players can play with buildings in any combination, but then follows that with an immediate caveat that it should be a spread of 2-player and 3+-player building tiles. Which, again, are not marked in any clear way.

Additionally, I cannot fathom the reasons the expansion tiles were not marked. This would make expansion set up easier, and I am sure the expansion provides more complexity to a pretty simple game. I might like to play this with my family and use the base version, but sorting through 40 ties by name with no identifying marker, is just too time consuming.

At this point, I have decided to sort the tiles into a 2-player suggested bag, and an "everything else" bag. I wish the tiles were marked in a way that made this easy, but after every game, I have to think about if it is a base game or expansion tile, look at the rules reference to see if it is a 2 or 3+ tile, and then put it away in its appropriate bag.

Many gamers on this site have hundreds of games to choose from, and when it comes to simple worker placement games there are so many great titles that little annoyances like this could just mean this game sees the shelf more than the table.

I hope I didn't come off as an a-hole here. It really is a pretty game, and I love the historical flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
I'm expecting my game today from the Kickstarter, and I have to say that my excitement, which was sky high, has been dampened somewhat. I LOVE Dice Hate Me games, and own many of them, and can't recall any of their games having this many issues. One missing non-essential tile I can live with, especially if they are going to follow through with sending backers a corrected one, but this seems like a remarkable amount of errors on printed tiles. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of putting stickers on game components that aren't meant to be there. I really don't want to have to refer to an errata sheet for five or six different tiles when I'm playing a game. I'm really surprised and disappointed about this, especially from a company that I have always associated with quality.

Keep in mind, FWIW, that the misprinted tiles are only found in the expansion. The core game is printed without any problems (except for the missing Mill, which is an optional component for the solo game).

So yeah, while it's certainly not good that the 'Rising Tide' expansion came with misprints - and needs to be corrected - you'll be perfectly fine playing the base game without any problems. So there's room for some enthusiasm!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.