James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually FFG announces a cycle, then a deluxe for their LCGs

For Warhammer 40,000: Conquest we are half way through the third cycle with no hints, teasers, or announcements for the next deluxe.

There is a rumor that FFG might be losing the Warhammer license, hence no expansions for Warhammer Quest: Adventure Card Game, Forbidden Stars, or Diskwars... And now no deluxe announcement for Conquest.

Granted Quest got two POD heroes, under the radar, they feel rushed.

Also apparently Conquest playtesters say they haven't playtested anything for Conquest in a long time.

These are rumors and heresay, but it does make me think. I'll be bummed if they lose the Warhammer license. I love Conquest and Diskwars, and like Forbidden Stars and Warhammer Quest very much. I suppose there is enough game available for each of those titles, but part of the FFG buy in is knowing new stuff is coming.

Anyone else worried or do you think it's all just baloney?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Have a good day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you've made me sad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it's not anything. But signs are certainly here. It would certainly explain why the packs have been coming out every 2-3 weeks this cycle. Which is insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I hope it's not nothing. But signs are certainly here. It would certainly explain why the packs have been coming out every 2-3 weeks this cycle. Which is insane.

Yeah, I forgot about that too. It's like they are rushing out the stuff they had "finished" before the license expires.

The POD heroes for Warhammer Quest play into that too, almost like they were the finished part of a larger expansion, but maybe they couldn't finish and print the whole thing in time, so they just released the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
I hope it's not nothing. But signs are certainly here. It would certainly explain why the packs have been coming out every 2-3 weeks this cycle. Which is insane.

Yeah, I forgot about that too. It's like they are rushing out the stuff they had "finished" before the license expires.

The POD heroes for Warhammer Quest play into that too, almost like they were the finished part of a larger expansion, but maybe they couldn't finish and print the whole thing in time, so they just released the heroes.

exactly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the rumors, but I don't think the lack of a deluxe announcement is necessarily cause for concern. It seems that post-rotation rules they are changing their stance on deluxes for the non-LoTR games to be more "when we feel we need it" with expansion cycles being the regular releases.

Which makes sense, given that deluxe cards are here forever, while if they flub play testing on a particular pack it will eventually cycle out. Plus outside of LoTR, the deluxes and expansion cycles have very little to do with one another so having them on a strict schedule makes little sense (particularly for Conquest now that the two final factions are out).

Wholly agreed that the speed of recent releases has been absurd, though. Not sure what's with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:

Wholly agreed that the speed of recent releases has been absurd, though. Not sure what's with that.

So what is the ideal speed for releases. Is packs coming out every 2 to 3 weeks too fast or to slow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
I can't speak to the rumors, but I don't think the lack of a deluxe announcement is necessarily cause for concern. It seems that post-rotation rules they are changing their stance on deluxes for the non-LoTR games to be more "when we feel we need it" with expansion cycles being the regular releases.

Which makes sense, given that deluxe cards are here forever, while if they flub play testing on a particular pack it will eventually cycle out. Plus outside of LoTR, the deluxes and expansion cycles have very little to do with one another so having them on a strict schedule makes little sense (particularly for Conquest now that the two final factions are out).

This sounds reasonable, but it doesn't account for the all but official abandonment of all their other Warhammer properties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noblejohn wrote:
Skaak wrote:

So what is the ideal speed for releases. Is packs coming out every 2 to 3 weeks too fast or to slow?

In the past the cycle was once a month, release a deluxe. So in a year you'd get two (6 pack) cycles and 2 deluxe sets. which lets the meta grow a little before it changes, though even that pace is a little fast for a customizable card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Flik
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest I would not be surprised if they are slowing it down a little and perhaps figuring out new planets to add or a different game mode for Conquest.

recently I found that they were churning out a crazy amount of packs in a short space of time but they have just added deepstrike mechanic and really need to build on the number of cards that have it so perhaps only small packs for now is not a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:

They're generally stable when releasing a Faction Cycle of deluxes. GoT has seen Starks released, with a quick announcement for Lannister. I'd expect that to continue through the rest of the houses. A:N was stable through releasing one deluxe for each initial faction +.

The deluxes here haven't followed that pattern, instead introducing new factions. So I can see this argument being reasonable. But with the lack of announcements for the other GW-based IPs, I'm not hopeful. Especially with the seeming acceleration of releases to get them all out ahead of something.

At the very least, it's good news that they didn't start a faction-based Deluxe cycle, only to lose the IP with an unbalanced card pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noblejohn wrote:

Too fast; what's the point in getting new cards if you don't have a chance to even try them out before the next set hits?

It's slightly less of a problem, I guess, since this cycle doesn't have a warlord in every pack, but I'd still prefer more like a 4-5 week cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GenCon is right around the corner. I suspect we'll get some word then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
Too fast; what's the point in getting new cards if you don't have a chance to even try them out before the next set hits?

Yeah, I think no faster than monthly is fine. Still trying to drum up interest/organisation locally too, so I'm sitting here with a vast collection and few players

I wouldn't mind if they stuck to one cycle of six small packs per year, and one or two deluxe sets bookending the year, depending on how much they have lined up.

When looking through FFG's news page I think they've been ridiculously busy. I'm not going to worry about the lifespan of any of their games just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Cervantes
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not trying to add fuel to the fire but I came to the forums with this very suspicion. I work with games and without naming names I'll say a very prominent board game distributor has placed a lot of FFG Warhammer products such as sleeves, expansions, modules, supplements, dice on clearance sale and I couldn't help but notice Conquest amongst the list. I found this very strange as Conquest has been a massive success at least in our store, at times outselling Netrunner. That being said, this entire thread could all be debunked at the in flight report next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You never know - FFG themselves put products about to be discontinued on clearance too. If we see a Conquest sale on their site we know it's over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They even put products on clearance that aren't being discontinued. At a recent local sale at the FFG Event Center I picked up Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation for $10. Gearworld: The Borderlands has also shown up at these sales. Both of them are still in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, so a final announcement, like with CoC, is what we'll have to wait for. What's their scheduled month for bad news normally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard about this and this only adds to the concern.

I have been up to date (from consumer side) about what is happening to their other Warhammer licenses.

Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game got two really small print-on-demand expansions released. This seemed very rushed and as if being part of something bigger that did not happen. Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game sold really well and everybody expected this game to be showered with adventure expansions.

Forbidden Stars, a major success in terms of reviews, has not gotten any attention since release. Few months ago the designer of Forbidden Stars was let go and he was working on a standalone expansion for Forbidden Stars at the time. This was another game that many reviewers said looks perfect for faction expansions.

And now reading about rushed Warhammer Conquest packs and nothing new announced sounds pretty bad.

I really hope that by the end of GenCon I feel really stupid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
I really hope that by the end of GenCon I feel really stupid

The daily woes of being a supergenius

I really hope this is part of some new Asmodee strategy to keep announcements closer to actual release. Four of the Conquest packs are not yet released, which should theoretically give four months to prepare future deluxe/cycle announcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

Forbidden Stars, a major success in terms of reviews, has not gotten any attention since release. Few months ago the designer of Forbidden Stars was let go and he was working on a standalone expansion for Forbidden Stars at the time. This was another game that many reviewers said looks perfect for faction expansions.

Just curious, how did you find out about the guy who got let go from FFG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make sense about how hard they are putting Star Wars stuff out. Kinda like they are losing the Warhammer license, and are maxing out their Star Wars games to make up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're also maxing out their Game of Thrones stuff - they just added ANOTHER game. This one revolves around Varys. So now they have five GoT games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noblejohn wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

The designer has posted on Forbidden Stars forums about some of the ideas he was working on. I assure you that this is not a rumour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
noblejohn wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

The designer has posted on Forbidden Stars forums about some of the ideas he was working on. I assure you that this is not a rumour

Yes, he also posted about it in this BGG thread too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.