BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Can't decide... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to choose something to order. Have a look at my collection, and tell me what you think I might like! I'm thinking of something that isn't too similar to what I already have, something that doesn't require more than 2 hours tops, and other than that, I'm not really sure. I don't have any dudes on boards games.

Games I want: Robinson Crusoe (waiting for new version), Agricola (new edition), Mice & Mystics, The Networks. None of these are in stock at the retailer of my choice (BoardGameBliss) - which is another requirement, that it be in stock there, as I want to order tonight.

I can't guarantee I'll use your suggestion, but you never know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatBoardGames.ca has Mice and Mystics, and then there is Arcadia Quest which is available (a fun mini game) and for the really intense game that is completely different: Duel of Ages II. The last 2 are available from BoardGameBliss. I tend to purchase from GreatBoardGames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shotgun suggestions:

Letters from Whitechapel because Sherlock & Clue rated highly. Available at bliss but pricey.

Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga or Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem as dudes on map (kinda sorta) games. Both on sale at bliss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes buy from GreatBoardGames too, but right now I have an order on hold with BoardGameBliss, waiting to ship until I pass the free shipping threshold. I like that they hold items for free, and in general I have had a better experience with them, especially in communications, and I like their rewards program.

Arcadia Quest looks good, so I may go with that! I previously had it on my wishlist - can't recall why I dropped it; perhaps the price, or the superficial resemblance to Mice & Mystics. Either way, Tom Vassal was enthusiastic about it in his review... But last time I trusted that, I wound up with Cash n Guns 2.0, and it bombed pretty hard.

It's $90 though. I wouldn't want to make a mistake at that price. I was also considering Shadows Over Camelot, Formula D, Legends of Andor, Caverna, Through the Ages (New), 51st State, DungeonQuest...

Arcadia seems good, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I trust you purchase will be good ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd skip:

Formula D: fairly light, movement choices constrained by your dice rolls, doesn't feel like there is a good ratio of decision making to play time.

Legends of Andor: except for the first (learning) mission, the other missions seem to ramp up the difficulty level fairly quickly. I'd say go for it if you like a fantasy themed co-op, but be prepared for some frustration (ymmv).

I don't have a good sense of what games you may like, maybe Core Worlds if you like SF deck builders or Thunder Alley if you're looking for a racing themed game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rjr1968 wrote:
I trust you purchase will be good ones!

I couldn't decide last night, kept adding a game to my cart, then hesitating and removing it, putting a different game in, and so on, so I delayed a bit. They don't ship until tomorrow anyhow. Ended up ordering Agricola revised edition (they just got more stock today), a couple small/cheap filler games, and Forbidden Desert (as well as my outstanding on-hold orders.

I don't know exactly how many games I have off hand, but all but three of them were purchased since March... It's a new addiction. I put Arcadia Quest back on my wishlist, though. Can't remember why I took it off, other than the price (not long ago I said I'd never spend over $40 on a single game. LOL!). I'll be ordering more again soon enough - I really want The Networks and the GOTY Robinson Crusoe, and I try to never pay shipping costs, so I'll have to add more to the order. Perhaps Arcadia Quest will be part of that order, I'm not sure yet. It does seem a little like Mice & Mystics, with the addition of PVP, but maybe they feel very different if you actually play them?

monstrooper wrote:
I'd skip:

Formula D: fairly light, movement choices constrained by your dice rolls, doesn't feel like there is a good ratio of decision making to play time.

Legends of Andor: except for the first (learning) mission, the other missions seem to ramp up the difficulty level fairly quickly. I'd say go for it if you like a fantasy themed co-op, but be prepared for some frustration (ymmv).

I don't have a good sense of what games you may like, maybe Core Worlds if you like SF deck builders or Thunder Alley if you're looking for a racing themed game.

I feel like I have a lot of deck builders already, which is why I skipped over Core Worlds. What you mention about Legends and D are the main reasons I kept balking with putting them in the cart and taking them back out, and another one that was in that rotation was Shadows Over Camelot, which I dunno, something about it just seems like I won't like it, but yet I hear it calling to me in the night...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have Blood Rage, yet.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Definitely considered it. Wasn't in stock, though. Perhaps in a future order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer (BGG Blog) TheBrewingGamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

I'll be picking this one up very soon. Looks absolutely awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.