3 Posts

MBT (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Overwatch fields of fire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RJ Lee
United States
flag msg tools
Just received this fantastic game, and am having a ball. I did have one question.

Rule 4.4.3.2.2 on Overwatch/CIS reads: "If the firing vehicle is executing Overwatch Fire at a target located within its Front (or rear) 60°, 120°, or 180° Field-of-Fire—the modifier is –1. This is applicable whether the vehicle is Turreted, Turretless 360°, or Non-Turreted."

What Field-of-Fire applies to each type of vehicle?

(a) Is it 60 degrees for Turreted, 120 degrees for Turretless 360, and 180 degrees for Non-Turreted (which seems counterintuitive)?

(b) Is it effectively 180 degrees for all three types (which applies the "or" literally, but would make the mention of the 60- and 120-degree fields superfluous)?

(c) Does it depend on something on the data card I'm missing? I realize some vehicles have Fields-of-Fire specified in degrees in their TT factors, but what do we do with a Turreted vehicle with TT factor 2? Is the Field-of-Fire 60 degrees? 60 degrees x 2? This also seems to affect how we apply the optional turret rules.

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Turreted vehicles normally have a 360 degree field-of-fire. For 120, 180 or 360 degrees, that information is listed on their data cards.

Turret vehicles have a TT rate of 1, 2 or 3 listed on their data cards. That relates to the application of optional rule 7.8 where actual turret counters are used and the turrets are adjusted 1, 2 or 3 hexsides.

When the optional rule 7.8 is NOT in play, Overwatch fire for turreted vehicles is measured as 60 degrees from the front of the vehicle with a -1 modifier. Otherwise, the Overwatch adjust -3 modifier must be applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Lee
United States
flag msg tools
Got it -- thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.