Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I am either blind, dumb, or information is so buried in the rules that it is difficult to find easily. Obviously, I am going with the last choice and don't need any snarky comments on the other two options.

Anyway, on to my question. What is the starting Notoriety of the Pirates?

I'm playing solo and need to make a Dr66 less than or equal to an opposing pirate in order to petition the crown for a KC. I cannot find mention of this anywhere.

I have a feeling you are going to see a lot of posts by me in the near future as a I waddle through these rules. Sorry in advance.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notoriety starts at '0'. The rulebook doesn't instruct you to place any number markers in the Notoriety boxes of the Ship Log for a newly activated pirate.

Try to hold back your questions until you've read the whole rulebook. To make life easier for yourself, read the series replay article here:
http://www.vftt.co.uk/Games/Avalon%20Hill/00%20The%20General...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
urbanus wrote:

Try to hold back your questions until you've read the whole rulebook.

LOL, I find that comment pretty funny considering how the rule book is set-up. Actually I have read through the rules several times. The replay article is very helpful so thanks for that link. However, it really doesn't answer my question regarding how one is to petition a KC at the beginning of the game if there is no Notoriety to check against. I'm particularly looking at rule 13.21. Can I assume then that a KC will not get commissioned until the pirates start to gain notoriety? If a KC action comes up in the solitaire game that should just be ignored?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom in Toronto
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, notoriety starts at 0 (i.e. no values in the box at game start) and your assumption is correct.

There is technically nothing to prevent you from attempting to petition a KC at anytime (including right away), however rolling less than 0 on a dr66 is of course impossible. Given the lowest roll is an '11', I wouldn't try it for a while, maybe when a pirate gets to the ~30s?

IMO I find the petitioning of a KC quite an elegant and realistic solution. As you gain notoriety and near victory, the 'crown' starts to take notice and responds accordingly, willing to send out a KC to smash the pirate menace, as it were.

enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made that comment as you said you were waddling through the rules, it wasn't entirely clear to me what that meant .

There is no point in petitioning for a KC if there is no opposing pirate with enough notoriety.

23.3 [...] A dummy with no KC in play will petition the Crown for one whenever he draws a "KC" action line if Blood has a Notoriety >= 11. [...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for both of your replies. I think I was expecting to much out of the "system" to run the dummy pirates for me. I have no problem making the best decisions for them and playing the game that way knowing that is how it is mainly done except for the situations that are mentioned under the solitaire rules.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.