$35.00
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We Anime collectors call a usually rare collection of all of the many episodes of a long series a "Perfect Set." In the case of AOTP, I've decided for various reasons to similarly just collect 1 of each: Core Game, Zendikar, and Innistrad. I was bringing them over to my local board game group tonight as a backup game, and sure enough, we played it instead of the regularly scheduled game (Scythe) due to unexpected parameters of time limitations and the people who showed up.

To prepare for the evening, I had asked myself how to set up the game for newbies in a way that would be the easiest for both them and for me. I decided to go with 600 Points per army (for the very first time) but to only used mono colored Planeswalkers of different colors, so we could quickly build up the Armies and Spell Decks with no extra drafting for people who could both use the same color.

In addition, I made a list of official scenarios based on any number of players that might show up as follows:

2 Players: Core 1: The Duel
3 Players: Innistrad 3: Ambush
4 Players: Core 2: The Skirmish
5 Players: Core 3: The Melee

We ended up playing the 4 Player team game, and it went easily for three new players and myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christo Lockxxx
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the great post. I have been holding back on taking AOTP to my regular gaming nights because although I have played 1 vs 1 with a like minded gamer, I am not convinced it is to the game for everyone. Your post made me re-think this and once I get Innistrad, I will give it a shot. Thanks for the inspiration on the best scenario's for the amount of players too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh One of our players was the eight year old daughter of one of the guys. She smiled after the game when she got to look through the other Planeswalkers we hadn't used, and said "Isn't this Kiora...I've got her card!" (from MTG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post, thanks!

As someone who owns and plays a lot of miniature skirmish games how would you rate this overall now that you've got all three sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
NuMystic wrote:
Great post, thanks!

As someone who owns and plays a lot of miniature skirmish games how would you rate this overall now that you've got all three sets?

I have two boxes of each set just so there's multiple cards and units for people who are playing similar colors but even just having one of each set there's finally a fair amount of variety which this game was sorely missing even after the first expansion. I just wish they'd release smaller sets of just planeswalkers, cards and units now. Just keep adding to our ability to add to the game like that. Terrain would be nice but I have a few pieces or Heroscape terrain and I don't really want to fill the whole board with it. Again to answer your question I quite enjoy the game a lot more now with more stuff and it doesn't get stale so quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.