23 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: What's the most ships you've used in a match? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Fowler
Canada
flag msg tools
To date I've never fielded more than three, what was the largest squadron anyone's fought a single battle/scenario in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
27 is my max. 1000pts of Romulans vs Federation.

This was taken a while ago, but we are planning a rematch, there has been several acquisitions for both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Barnes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played in some bigger games and had 10 ships I was controlling plus I lent the other side some klingons.

My favorite is a starbase assault the attacker has 200 or 300 points but has to destroy the new battle ships being produced, the defender just has to last a certain amount of turns and has 1/2 the attackers points but has defense guns

that scenario usually has 6-8 ships on the attackers side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The most ships I have managed myself is 8 at a time in 1 game and they were all heavily upgraded as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
This Sunday I'm going to be fielding five in a 120 point OP (The Doomsday Machine).

Apparently there are some players in our local area who don't tend to come to my store's OPs because they're TOS-exclusive; they only play with TOS-era ships. Since it's The Doomsday Machine, a TOS episode, they should be attending. I'm running a pure TOS fleet to hopefully make them feel welcome, so I'm running five ships due to the low costs involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fielded 5 in one (120 tournament) match. all 5 were Jem'Hadar attack ships with mostly generic captains and a couple of weapon upgrades. actually did ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was a solitaire scenario with 9 on one side and 7 on the other. It was pretty laborious. Kudos on the big scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
When OPs were 100: 4 ships
When OPs were 120: 4 ships
When OPs were 130: 5 ships
1v1 match: 9 ships on my sidr, 9 on his
3v3v1 match: 19 in Fed/Kli, 23 Dominion, 9 Romulan (mine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used three generic Vorchas and drew the Klingon booster in TCM OP3. I ran 4 Keldons in Peak Performance.

As for casual games, I think I've run 200 points in a huge game - probably 6-7 ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
STAW isn't really meant for such big games but they can be fun on occasion. Full Thrust DOES work with really big battles and is a lot of fun. It's worth trying if you haven't one of these days. The Vector movement is a different enough experience to make it worth doing all by itself.

It's definitely a low overhead system (which is why it supports a lot of ships). It does bog down a little if there are a lot of fighters and missiles on the table.

NOTE: that FT does not support Star Trek ships natively, but you can use the design system to build them. The only issue is that it really doesn't do shields that well, though there is some player created ship systems that work pretty well for shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite builds is the Cardassian attack group: 3 Keldons and 2 Hidekis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this game actually shines most in very large battles. Here's a couple videos of my favourite big battles:

two 700-point battles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jemAxYZHmhc

7 Klingon battle cruisers and a space station versus huge force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ae95GTixE

300 points vs 300 points:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lwCP6YvwMw

In the second battle of the first video you'll notice that I had 8 Klingon ships plus a space station, so 9 basically is the most that I've fielded in a single battle.

I really enjoy big battles and STAW does these brilliantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pollard
United Kingdom
Beeston
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Six Tholians, in the TWOK OP. They were slightly less crunchy than normal, thanks entirely to the Nebula.

Won one, lost two (although it would have been the other way around but for not being able to bring myself to fly safely in circles behind web for 55 minutes...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
I think that this game actually shines most in very large battles... I really enjoy big battles and STAW does these brilliantly.

Agreed. In larger games just about all the issues people complain about fade away in larger games. Torpedoes are more significant, smaller ships can do something, loaded hero ships are not that big of a deal because there will be 10 + ships to fire back at it. The game is great but truly a joy to play at 400+ points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
timpollard wrote:
Six Tholians, in the TWOK OP. They were slightly less crunchy than normal, thanks entirely to the Nebula.

Won one, lost two (although it would have been the other way around but for not being able to bring myself to fly safely in circles behind web for 55 minutes...)

That photo and fleet description sounds familiar. Would that happen to have been at Chimera in Nottingham (England) on July 14th of this year (just under two weeks ago)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Sharitt
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I need to play at a larger point value. I think my Klingons might benefit from a bigger game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bsharitt wrote:
Maybe I need to play at a larger point value. I think my Klingons might benefit from a bigger game.

Klingons work great in larger games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
bsharitt wrote:

Klingons work great in larger games

Very cool. Klingon invasion of Cardassia. I love themed battles based on actual episodes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:

Very cool. Klingon invasion of Cardassia. I love themed battles based on actual episodes.

Me too. Themed games are the best examples of what the game has to offer IMHO. If you can spot it, in this game we were using Chang's BoP for Dukat's captured ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I see it? Is it just above a K'Tinga or D7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
I think I see it? Is it just above a K'Tinga or D7?

You get a gold star meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! *LoZ Item Get Music*

Chang's BoP expansion has the best model for the class IMO. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
MaskedThespian wrote:
This Sunday I'm going to be fielding five in a 120 point OP (The Doomsday Machine).

Apparently there are some players in our local area who don't tend to come to my store's OPs because they're TOS-exclusive; they only play with TOS-era ships. Since it's The Doomsday Machine, a TOS episode, they should be attending. I'm running a pure TOS fleet to hopefully make them feel welcome, so I'm running five ships due to the low costs involved.

Well, the TOS players didn't turn up, but I did get quite a bit of kudos from the regulars for my themed build.

I took:

I.R.W. Gal Gath'thong [18]
- Romulan Commander 7 (Captain) [5]
- Plasma Torpedoes (I.R.W. Algeron) [3]
- Plasma Torpedoes (I.R.W. Algeron) [3]
Ship Total: 29 SP

Romulan Bird-of-Prey (Romulan Bird-of-Prey) [16]
- Liviana Charvanek 5 (Captain) (I.R.W. Algeron) [3]
- - Massacre [3]
- Plasma Torpedoes (Starter Set) [5]
Ship Total: 27 SP

I.R.W. Algeron [18]
- Tal 3 (Captain) (I.R.W. Algeron) [2]
- Cloaked Mines [3]
Ship Total: 23 SP

Romulan Battlecruiser (D7 Class) [16]
- Romulan 1 (Captain) (I.R.W. Gal Gath'thong) [0]
- Nuclear Warhead [3]
Ship Total: 19 SP

Romulan Battlecruiser (D7 Class) [16]
- Romulan 1 (Captain) (I.R.W. Algeron) [0]
- Nuclear Warhead [3]
Ship Total: 19 SP

Resource: Main Power Grid [3]

Fleet Total: 120 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

With the exception of Cloaked Mines and Massacre, everything was a TOS card (and the Cloaked Mines are technically "older" technology), even my generic skill 1 captains.

I went 2-1, beating a Federation Fighters/Dreadnought/Regent's Flagship build, losing to a Romulan Scout Ship/Reman Warbird/Reman Warbird build, and beating a pure Federation USS Prometheus/Sovereign class/USS Stargazer fleet.

Overall, taking five ships in a regular OP (especially one with a narrowed table due to trying to avoid the Doomsday Machine token) is okay, but it can get a bit hectic, especially when you're as inexperienced as me with regards to manoeuvring. It went pretty well, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.