Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game tonight, and I wanted to get a feel on how game length was running for folks. I know that most games are...optimistic...with their game length, but it seemed really off this time around. 6 player game took us a little over 2 hours to play - a far cry from the 45 minutes advertised.

Now...we had maximum player count, and this was our first time. But I can't see the same group getting under an hour and a half. I think most enjoyed the game...and I'm eager to try it again...but a few were put off since there were expecting it to take no more than an hour.

I know the "simultaneous play" should make player count irrelevant, but really a higher player count is going to add to the time. And it really wasn't simultaneous, because as noted in another thread, we often had to play cards in turn order, so people could see if others ahead of them were trying to catch the same wave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! I've only played alone and am planning to play with many players in the next few weeks so am eager to hear what everyone's experiences will be. Were you aware of the shorter variant for just short board or long board? I've been playing this variant solo to learn the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
KTFerguson wrote:
Played our first game tonight, and I wanted to get a feel on how game length was running for folks. I know that most games are...optimistic...with their game length, but it seemed really off this time around. 6 player game took us a little over 2 hours to play - a far cry from the 45 minutes advertised.

Now...we had maximum player count, and this was our first time. But I can't see the same group getting under an hour and a half. I think most enjoyed the game...and I'm eager to try it again...but a few were put off since there were expecting it to take no more than an hour.

I know the "simultaneous play" should make player count irrelevant, but really a higher player count is going to add to the time. And it really wasn't simultaneous, because as noted in another thread, we often had to play cards in turn order, so people could see if others ahead of them were trying to catch the same wave.

Hey Keith! Wow! That could be the longest game of Tavarua recorded!

It sounds like the primary driver for your long play length was the non-simultaneous turns.

In the case when we've had AP play, we just have the first player give 10-15 seconds for everyone to 'lock in' their action, and if someone doesn't lock it in, then they 'automatically' choose to wait. This seems to solve the issue pretty quickly

I suppose it's up to the group - but if you're playing every round with playing cards in turn order - you probably will have very long game length, as you've stated.

Hope this helps Keith!

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the timer idea because when you are surfing you have to think quickly as the waves keep coming at you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Sasachaz wrote:

It sounds like the primary driver for your long play length was the non-simultaneous turns.

In the case when we've had AP play, we just have the first player give 10-15 seconds for everyone to 'lock in' their action, and if someone doesn't lock it in, then they 'automatically' choose to wait. This seems to solve the issue pretty quickly

I suppose it's up to the group - but if you're playing every round with playing cards in turn order - you probably will have very long game length, as you've stated.

Hope this helps Keith!

Cheers, -Cody

Thanks Cody...

I've been thinking about this some more. I think it was a combination of things. We played with a full player count - 6 - and none of us had played before. So, it was me, who had read the rulebook once, trying to explain it. We got the rules right...but there was definitely a lot of "how does this score again", and referencing back to the rulebook.

And, yeah, the sequential playing of cards did slow things down...but honestly, I'm not sure how else to handle it. The first time we had 3 people lined up to go for a wave, there was a lot of "well, are you going to wait"? "I'm not going to wait, you should wait". "Maybe I'll wait...or maybe I have a high card". So, after that we implemented the turn order rule. And with 6 players...there was competition for waves several times.

And, we did have one or two players with AP.

I'm headed to WBC (World Boardgaming Championships) tomorrow, and will bring it along...I'd like to play with maybe 4 players...and now that I really know the rules, explanation should be much easier...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
KTFerguson wrote:
Sasachaz wrote:

Hope this helps Keith!

Cheers, -Cody

Thanks Cody...

I've been thinking about this some more. I think it was a combination of things. We played with a full player count - 6 - and none of us had played before. So, it was me, who had read the rulebook once, trying to explain it. We got the rules right...but there was definitely a lot of "how does this score again", and referencing back to the rulebook.

And, yeah, the sequential playing of cards did slow things down...but honestly, I'm not sure how else to handle it. The first time we had 3 people lined up to go for a wave, there was a lot of "well, are you going to wait"? "I'm not going to wait, you should wait". "Maybe I'll wait...or maybe I have a high card". So, after that we implemented the turn order rule. And with 6 players...there was competition for waves several times.

And, we did have one or two players with AP.

I'm headed to WBC (World Boardgaming Championships) tomorrow, and will bring it along...I'd like to play with maybe 4 players...and now that I really know the rules, explanation should be much easier...

Hey Keith!

Thanks for the feedback man! I appreciate you sharing your story! I know that AP can definitely slow games down to a crawl some times. It sounds like you had a number of factors working against a quick timeline for you, and I'm sorry that Tavarua didn't represent it's time-investment properly for your group! I hope that you have a better experience in the future Keith!

Cheers, -Cody

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.