Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second play ever, and 1st play tonight in about 1-year.

Some questions came up:

First, a quick clarification of steps. When dividend cube is on #5, you:
1st pay dividends
2nd Phase check
If stock is at 48 or higher, shift in Phase 2.
If you just shifted into Phase 2, Black gets auctioned and then Brown.
3rd Move Phase Cube from Phase 1 to Phase 2
4th Public company with highest income increases in value and ALL private companies lose 1 space of value

I think this is all correct, and here are the questions:

1) Nationalization does not occur during the Phase Shift (when a stock is at 48), it only occurs on the NEXT dividend, correct?

2) Each dividend (Phase 1 and Phase 2), if NO company is nationalized, the Nationalization cube moves up 1 tick, correct?

3) When Brown and Black are auctioned, if no one buys one of the shares, the Nationalization cube ticks up 3 spots, but it does not explicitly say if this is or isn't a nationalization. The ruling comes if the Nationalization ticks up FOUR spaces. Three for no one buying, and 1 more because there were "technically" no nationalizations that turn. We played IF no one bought, the cube would only move up 3. 4 spaces sounded too punitive. Is this correct?

4) As long as we're talking about the Black and Brown shares, following the order of the rules, is there a Stock Adjustment after purchasing these shares? That means if you buy AND set Brown at say... $24. Brown would IMMEDIATELY tick down one level... We did NOT play this way as it sounded too punitive.

All-in-all a fun game. There's a lot to wrap my head around, but I enjoyed it.

Some takeaways:

a) I owned all (2 shares) outstanding of blue. It was 2 levels below $42, and I built 2 which kicked me up 1 share value, which also caused me to cross a black income space and next thing I know I'm at $42/share. I should have bought a share of blue BEFORE expanding because I had no money in my treasury!

b) I need to figure out Black and Brown more. I had full ownership of Blue, so does it make sense to buy a share of either Black or Brown? I'm ahead in cash and income on Blue, and there's $0.00 money in Blue's treasury. So do I NOT buy Bl or Br and instead, pay $42 of my $56 to one share of Blue? I open my self to dilution... I DID by Brown, and another player jumped in so we can capitalize. I started a par value high enough to avoid getting Nationalized... that is if the other companies didn't get swallowed too fast...

c) I want to also wrap my head around benefits of having a private share. Each dividend you lose value...

Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
elmsley4 wrote:
Second play ever, and 1st play tonight in about 1-year.

Some questions came up:

First, a quick clarification of steps. When dividend cube is on #5, you:
1st pay dividends
2nd Phase check
If stock is at 48 or higher, shift in Phase 2.
If you just shifted into Phase 2, Black gets auctioned and then Brown.
3rd Move Phase Cube from Phase 1 to Phase 2
4th Public company with highest income increases in value and ALL private companies lose 1 space of value

I think this is all correct, and here are the questions:

It is.

Quote:
1) Nationalization does not occur during the Phase Shift (when a stock is at 48), it only occurs on the NEXT dividend, correct?

Correct.

Quote:
2) Each dividend (Phase 1 and Phase 2), if NO company is nationalized, the Nationalization cube moves up 1 tick, correct?

Correct. Specific ruling by the publisher as this is not mentioned in the rules.

Quote:
3) When Brown and Black are auctioned, if no one buys one of the shares, the Nationalization cube ticks up 3 spots, but it does not explicitly say if this is or isn't a nationalization. The ruling comes if the Nationalization ticks up FOUR spaces. Three for no one buying, and 1 more because there were "technically" no nationalizations that turn. We played IF no one bought, the cube would only move up 3. 4 spaces sounded too punitive. Is this correct?

"Too punitive" is not basis for interpreting Winsome Games rules. Neither is "not punitive enough" for that matter.

The intent of the rule writing is that a clear and precise reading of the rules should be used. On that basis, I didn't see a nationalization that turn so the cube would go up during the nationalization check, meaning 4 spaces for the round.

Note that I do not have any specific ruling here from the publishers and could be wrong.

Quote:
4) As long as we're talking about the Black and Brown shares, following the order of the rules, is there a Stock Adjustment after purchasing these shares? That means if you buy AND set Brown at say... $24. Brown would IMMEDIATELY tick down one level... We did NOT play this way as it sounded too punitive.

See above. I've always played that they are in fact minors so their stock price goes down.

I'll let smarter readers than I address your strategy questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I submitted to the Winsome Yahoo group too.

Have you played any of the 2016 set? I just got mine in the mail the other day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I saw that. John is bound to answer there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.