Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How did they keep this a secret? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject line says it all. This game is being released 11 days after being announced. How did it remain under wraps while it was in development? How were there no leaks (at least none that I no of)? FantasyFlightGames have pulled off big surprises before, but this is one that is quite surprising.

Surprised and pre-ordered!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tkpope wrote:
The subject line says it all. This game is being released 11 days after being announced. How did it remain under wraps while it was in development? How were there no leaks (at least none that I no of)? FantasyFlightGames have pulled off big surprises before, but this is one that is quite surprising.

Surprised and pre-ordered!

Pretty simple really. Threaten folks with their jobs and they keep a secret. NDAs are a bitch...

Honestly, I don't know why more companies don't do this. Revealing something a couple weeks before you can get it capitalizes on the hype of the announcement. How many games have you seen fire up the BGG hotness when they're announced and then completely disappear before they're available? I think it's awesome that I don't have to wait until next Spring to play it.
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Avatar
I was in a LGS probably as this was being announced talking about a hole bunch of different FFG games with a staff member and MoM come up and he said something like 'which edition', to which I said 'there is only one edition' and the conversation moved on. Got home and read the announcement. Implies that they had at least some prior knowledge (or it was a genuine mistake and a big coincidence).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
tkpope wrote:
The subject line says it all. This game is being released 11 days after being announced. How did it remain under wraps while it was in development? How were there no leaks (at least none that I no of)? FantasyFlightGames have pulled off big surprises before, but this is one that is quite surprising.

Surprised and pre-ordered!

Pretty simple really. Threaten folks with their jobs and they keep a secret. NDAs are a bitch...

Honestly, I don't know why more companies don't do this. Revealing something a couple weeks before you can get it capitalizes on the hype of the announcement. How many games have you seen fire up the BGG hotness when they're announced and then completely disappear before they're available? I think it's awesome that I don't have to wait until next Spring to play it.


Yeah, I get NDA's. But nobody secretly tweeted about something fantastic being announced on Monday. Not one leak. Not one picture. Not one even remotely weird interview where somebody from FFG says, "Nobody at FFG believes in MoM anymore? You'll see..."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Hejtman
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
I wrote about it in April I guessed they will announce it on Gen Con.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22298164#22298164
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorastro (the british guy who makes these fantastic Imperial Assault painting tutorials) hinted that he was very excited about a new FFG game that would be presented at GenCon, and that he was not yet allowed to talk about it. Since this one has minis as well, I suppose that's it.

So there was at least some info going around, even to people who do not directly work for FFG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeOfEarl wrote:
Sorastro (the british guy who makes these fantastic Imperial Assault painting tutorials) hinted that he was very excited about a new FFG game that would be presented at GenCon, and that he was not yet allowed to talk about it. Since this one has minis as well, I suppose that's it.

So there was at least some info going around, even to people who do not directly work for FFG.


Possibly, but his Facebook post yesterday made it seem as if he was as surprised as anybody. Considering he's known for Imperial Assault mini-painting, it could very well be something Imperial Assault related that he was hinting at.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. What about the 'why?' as well? I don't pay attention to every FFG line, but I can't remember the last time a game was announced so close to release (ignoring print on demand stuff which is always announced as available). Does anyone know of a standard release within the last couple of years given the same announcement treatment as MoM second edition? If not, what are the reasons behind it? Is it part of a general change in approach, moving to x% of releases being announced this close to release? Or a new approach to gen con buildup? Curious.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
DukeOfEarl wrote:
Sorastro (the british guy who makes these fantastic Imperial Assault painting tutorials) hinted that he was very excited about a new FFG game that would be presented at GenCon, and that he was not yet allowed to talk about it. Since this one has minis as well, I suppose that's it.

So there was at least some info going around, even to people who do not directly work for FFG.


Possibly, but his Facebook post yesterday made it seem as if he was as surprised as anybody.


I'm guessing people under NDA still have to feign ignorance just like everyone else.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel T.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a rumour about the Arkham Horror: The Card Game.
That's probably the GenCon secret big hit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:


I'm guessing people under NDA still have to feign ignorance just like everyone else.

That's never been a requirement of an NDA that I've signed...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Hellicon wrote:
Good question. What about the 'why?' as well? I don't pay attention to every FFG line, but I can't remember the last time a game was announced so close to release (ignoring print on demand stuff which is always announced as available). Does anyone know of a standard release within the last couple of years given the same announcement treatment as MoM second edition? If not, what are the reasons behind it? Is it part of a general change in approach, moving to x% of releases being announced this close to release? Or a new approach to gen con buildup? Curious.


The app might factor in. It's possible it's been printed and in a warehouse for months now, as they struggle to iron out any issues with the app. It's likely they're still tweaking it now, so only announced when they were 100% positive they could make the date.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vlad3theimpaler wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:


I'm guessing people under NDA still have to feign ignorance just like everyone else.

That's never been a requirement of an NDA that I've signed...


So when anyone asks you about a project that you're meant to keep secret, what do you do?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
vlad3theimpaler wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:


I'm guessing people under NDA still have to feign ignorance just like everyone else.

That's never been a requirement of an NDA that I've signed...


So when anyone asks you about a project that you're meant to keep secret, what do you do?


I kinda thought the first two words in NDA were "Non Disclosure"? Mabe I need to look up what "non" means.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
vlad3theimpaler wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:


I'm guessing people under NDA still have to feign ignorance just like everyone else.

That's never been a requirement of an NDA that I've signed...


So when anyone asks you about a project that you're meant to keep secret, what do you do?


I kinda thought the first two words in NDA were "Non Disclosure"? Mabe I need to look up what "non" means.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
DancingFool wrote:
DukeOfEarl wrote:
Sorastro (the british guy who makes these fantastic Imperial Assault painting tutorials) hinted that he was very excited about a new FFG game that would be presented at GenCon, and that he was not yet allowed to talk about it. Since this one has minis as well, I suppose that's it.

So there was at least some info going around, even to people who do not directly work for FFG.


Possibly, but his Facebook post yesterday made it seem as if he was as surprised as anybody.


I'm guessing people under NDA still have to feign ignorance just like everyone else.


Tyler means that once the information is made public by the company itself, you don't need to feign ignorance anymore. You can brag 'I knew all along but couldn't tell you, because of an NDA'.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vittek wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
DancingFool wrote:
DukeOfEarl wrote:
Sorastro (the british guy who makes these fantastic Imperial Assault painting tutorials) hinted that he was very excited about a new FFG game that would be presented at GenCon, and that he was not yet allowed to talk about it. Since this one has minis as well, I suppose that's it.

So there was at least some info going around, even to people who do not directly work for FFG.


Possibly, but his Facebook post yesterday made it seem as if he was as surprised as anybody.


I'm guessing people under NDA still have to feign ignorance just like everyone else.


Tyler means that once the information is made public by the company itself, you don't need to feign ignorance anymore. You can brag 'I knew all along but couldn't tell you, because of an NDA'.


Yes, once the product is out, of course you can tell people you worked on it. Your name is probably going to be listed in the credits anyway. It's also kinda helpful when you're trying to get more work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As well as FFG people and various game reviewers, many game distributers must have been in the know. They seem to be fairly confident that they will have copies ready for sending out by next week, even outside the US. So they must have been shipped and in the warehouses a while ago. I also guess that they must pre-order well in advance, I assume that random quantities of games don't just turn up on their doorsteps. So with so many people involved it is a minor miracle that nothing leaked out but that seems to have been the case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I love how people talk about NDA's like some sort of Mafia pact that no-one could dare break.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
keitharchaeologist wrote:
As well as FFG people and various game reviewers, many game distributers must have been in the know. They seem to be fairly confident that they will have copies ready for sending out by next week, even outside the US. So they must have been shipped and in the warehouses a while ago. I also guess that they must pre-order well in advance, I assume that random quantities of games don't just turn up on their doorsteps. So with so many people involved it is a minor miracle that nothing leaked out but that seems to have been the case.


It could have just been listed as "Major FFG GenCon Board Game Launch 1" or something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
DukeOfEarl wrote:
Sorastro (the british guy who makes these fantastic Imperial Assault painting tutorials) hinted that he was very excited about a new FFG game that would be presented at GenCon, and that he was not yet allowed to talk about it. Since this one has minis as well, I suppose that's it.

So there was at least some info going around, even to people who do not directly work for FFG.


Possibly, but his Facebook post yesterday made it seem as if he was as surprised as anybody. Considering he's known for Imperial Assault mini-painting, it could very well be something Imperial Assault related that he was hinting at.


Perhaps he meant this game: DOOM: The Board Game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
keitharchaeologist wrote:
As well as FFG people and various game reviewers, many game distributers must have been in the know. They seem to be fairly confident that they will have copies ready for sending out by next week, even outside the US. So they must have been shipped and in the warehouses a while ago. I also guess that they must pre-order well in advance, I assume that random quantities of games don't just turn up on their doorsteps. So with so many people involved it is a minor miracle that nothing leaked out but that seems to have been the case.


It could have just been listed as "Major FFG GenCon Board Game Launch 1" or something.


Perhaps, but unless they knew more about the nature of the game they would have to be very trusting. I would have thought without knowing much about the game itself it would be difficult to estimate the numbers that they would be likely to sell.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.