$60.00
$20.00
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, the romney/obama thing was weird enough. Friends defriending people they'd known and gamed with for a decade when obama was elected.

So many republicans had irrationally believed Romney was going to win the election- even selectively ignoring or modifying polls to make them match "reality".

But what I'm seeing lately is more disturbing.

It seems Trump is so bad that in order to believe in him, conservatives are committing emotionally to the point that they are tossing logic out the window. They are highly emotional, talk about how things "feel" instead of how they are, and so on.

It's like some kind of stockholm syndrome.

I can't be certain trump will win or lose at this point but if he does lose, I think republicans are going to behave appallingly badly. Hard to imagine they will behave worse than under Obama but I think that's on the table this time.

It is bizarre. Had to get it off my chest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Institutionalized 'The problem can't be me, so it must be you.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
maxo-texas wrote:
Okay, the romney/obama thing was weird enough. Friends defriending people they'd known and gamed with for a decade when obama was elected.

So many republicans had irrationally believed Romney was going to win the election- even selectively ignoring or modifying polls to make them match "reality".

It seems Trump is so bad that in order to believe in him, conservatives are committing emotionally to the point that they are tossing logic out the window. They are highly emotional, talk about how things "feel" instead of how they are, and so on.

I can't be certain trump will win or lose at this point but if he does lose, I think republicans are going to behave appallingly badly. Hard to imagine they will behave worse than under Obama but I think that's on the table this time.

And they have a convenient excuse, they already hate Hillary and she is a woman. Oh my God, a woman President! It's the end of the world!!

I supported Obama in 2008 and had great expectations that he would be more progressive than he turned out to be. I was totally surprised that the Repuds would sabotage the nation to get even with a black President.

Come to think of it, you are probably right. The Repuds have no reason to change their strategy. Stop everything from happening and complain, complain, complain about it. They might even block 3+ Supreme Court appointments over the next 4 or 8 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

And they have a convenient excuse, they already hate Hillary and she is a woman. Oh my God, a woman President! It's the end of the world!!

I supported Obama in 2008 and had great expectations that he would be more progressive than he turned out to be. I was totally surprised that the Repuds would sabotage the nation to get even with a black President.

Come to think of it, you are probably right. The Repuds have no reason to change their strategy. Stop everything from happening and complain, complain, complain about it. They might even block 3+ Supreme Court appointments over the next 4 or 8 years.

Beg to differ on one point: hating Hillary is a totally reasonable expectation of a conservative, but not voting for her because she's a woman is just plain wrong. With President Obama, it was because he was black, right? And I'm sure that was true for some, but far less than Obama backers would care to suspect. And now we have a woman, and hate to break it to you, but far fewer people care about Hillary being a woman than cared about the color of President Obama's skin.

And the GOP didn't sabotage the country to get back at a black president. Sadly, they sabotaged the country because there is a total void of leadership in the party. There isn't a single person there who knows how to actually do anything, so the only thing they can turn to is doing nothing. It's the downside of a decade-plus of populism. You are ascribing to malice what is much more readily ascribed to incompetence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they hated white male Bill Clinton a fair bit as I recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have they asked to see her birth certificate yet? In order to prove she is human and not actually Satan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Had lunch with a coworker the other day. Based on what he's read on facebook, if Trump is elected a lot of his liberal friends want to leave the country. If Hillary is elected a lot of his conservative friends want to rise up in arms and overthrow the government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
No, I do not think it was hate, not to the same degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
sbszine wrote:
No, I do not think it was hate, not to the same degree.

It was more the sort of disgust you have when Bubba Joe manages to finagle himself a pass into Lord Poofbottom's Yacht Club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Well, it's clear that they will block votes on any supreme court justices for the last quarter of clinton's term.

I also never expected them to adopt the policy of "no" and that's a principle reason why I stopped voting for republicans in lower offices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Beg to differ on one point: hating Hillary is a totally reasonable expectation of a conservative, but not voting for her because she's a woman is just plain wrong. With President Obama, it was because he was black, right? And I'm sure that was true for some, but far less than Obama backers would care to suspect. And now we have a woman, and hate to break it to you, but far fewer people care about Hillary being a woman than cared about the color of President Obama's skin.

And the GOP didn't sabotage the country to get back at a black president. Sadly, they sabotaged the country because there is a total void of leadership in the party. There isn't a single person there who knows how to actually do anything, so the only thing they can turn to is doing nothing. It's the downside of a decade-plus of populism. You are ascribing to malice what is much more readily ascribed to incompetence.

I agree that I have a similar opinion on the black/female issue. There were numerous issues (direct racist statements) where republicans speaking candidly exhibited opposition to obama because he was black.

With Clinton, I don't think she processes as female to them. The hate her at a level that people hate child molesters. It's not rational and they have engaged in irrational, expensive actions over and over to try and get her on something. Clinton seems more like the white whale to their ahab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, it is also equally clear that she has been engaging in irresponsible or shady moves for decades, to the point both her and her husband have left all kinds of wreckage behind them.

Just because you haven't been caught doesn't mean you are innocent in fact. Just guilt free under the law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
maxo-texas wrote:
I dunno, because I wouldn't classify most Trump voters under the heading of "Republican." Most Trump voters belong to that proudly Know-Nothing, vaguely racist, amorphous underclass of voters who love to push fringe rhetoric and trumpet the "my country is getting away from me" stuff.

Actual Republicans simply dug in their heels after Romney lost and became the "party of No" for the next four years, and I expect them to do the same this time around. Because it's not like you won't see Calgary Ted again, or Rubio again, or most of the rest of them (Rand Paul, Ben Carson, Nikki Haley, Santorum.) The "Republican brand" has survived beatings before, and if anything this round gives mainstream Republicans a chance to come back as "savior" candidates, determined to "rescue" the party from the hate-filled rhetoric of Trump. They just have to bide their time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
conservatives are committing emotionally to the point that they are tossing logic out the window.

It must be strange for you to finally see it. This is what I saw in 2007 when you nutters were all "hopey changey".

I think the scary thing is that both party's have a bunch of whiny emotional idiots at the forefront.

Stop your fucking crying and man up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tstone wrote:
Of course, it is also equally clear that she has been engaging in irresponsible or shady moves for decades, to the point both her and her husband have left all kinds of wreckage behind them.

Just because you haven't been caught doesn't mean you are innocent in fact. Just guilt free under the law.

I think you will find solid agreement from many democrats that she has engaged in shady dealing and enriched herself.

But she is not evil incarnate. She's about typical for most senators and congressmen who leave washington much wealthier than they arrived.

Trump on the other hand is widely recognized (by many senior republicans as well) as a sociopathic, narcissistic idiot with a quick temper who is unfit to be president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
tstone wrote:

I think you will find solid agreement from many democrats that she has engaged in shady dealing and enriched herself.

But she is not evil incarnate. She's about typical for most senators and congressmen who leave washington much wealthier than they arrived.

Trump on the other hand is widely recognized (by many senior republicans as well) as a sociopathic, narcissistic idiot with a quick temper who is unfit to be president.

C'mon, you don't have to be "evil incarnate" to be utterly unfit for office.

We could go on about both candidate's demerits and both have a HUUUUGGEEEE list and IMO, are both appallingly unqualified for office and have been both foisted to where they are using entirely superficial and frivolous criteria.

My vote is going to be based on my concerns for SCOTUS.

In Hillary's case alone, we know for a FACT that shennanigans she was likely involved with machinations that cost the DNC their chair a day before their convention kicked off.

We know for a FACT that she is guilty of things that would see any FBI agent disqualified from employment and likely jailed for her deeds, and certainly is not qualified to be even a basic military enlistee at this point.

So...make her president?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Would it help if I told you I hate you now, rather than waiting until November when Hillary wins the election?

(Haha, that was a joke - I don't hate you. I was just trying to make a funny. Carry on...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
conservatives are committing emotionally to the point that they are tossing logic out the window.

It must be strange for you to finally see it. This is what I saw in 2007 when you nutters were all "hopey changey".

I think the scary thing is that both party has a bunch of whiny emotional idiots at the forefront.

Those last two photos are Of Bernie and his older brother, who had just memorialized their parents stating that they would be proud of Bernie's accomplishments. I think he could be forgiven for getting emotional under the circumstances. See here for the full video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/larry-sanders-bernie-con...

You are as moronic as they come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

I don't think hating any politician is a reasonable expectation except in very extreme circumstances (ie. hate Hitler, etc)

The fact that it's ok to so easily hate people is sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tstone wrote:

So, guilty until proven innocent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
So I see we've moved from "rationalizing away all of Hillary's guilt" to "rationalizing that those who think she's guilty are probably mentally damaged."

C'mon! What about the "sexist!" card? It's right there in your hand, next to the edge-worn, dog-eared "racist!" card. Play it! Play it! You know you want to.

You're not worth a new post. So here's the one from above again.

Quote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tstone wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
tstone wrote:

C'mon, you don't have to be "evil incarnate" to be utterly unfit for office.

We could go on about both candidate's demerits and both have a HUUUUGGEEEE list and IMO, are both appallingly unqualified for office and have been both foisted to where they are using entirely superficial and frivolous criteria.

My vote is going to be based on my concerns for SCOTUS.

In Hillary's case alone, we know for a FACT that shennanigans she was likely involved with machinations that cost the DNC their chair a day before their convention kicked off.

We know for a FACT that she is guilty of things that would see any FBI agent disqualified from employment and likely jailed for her deeds, and certainly is not qualified to be even a basic military enlistee at this point.

So...make her president?

What dumb rhetoric. We know for a FACT that likely X happened?

What a dumb statement.

Might as well say, we know for a FACT, that the giant purple mongoose is likely the true ruler of the universe.

Why bother adding FACT in front of speculation. If it isn't FACT, it isn't FACT.

Facts are not just "likely".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
maxo-texas wrote:

Better not to take chances. Sell your shit and get the fuck out while you still can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And I apologize for attacking the statement, but why is there a need to make a rhetorical spin on everything?

We aren't likely to convince almost anyone of anything in here ideologically so it's best to instead give a clear data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

I think the scary thing is that both party's have a bunch of whiny emotional idiots at the forefront.

HA HA Weak Beta cucks.
Go lick up your wife's bf's baby batter mess off her ass!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.