$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » General

Subject: Too bad... kinda a missed opportunity here. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game screams to be made in Legacy style. Think of the possibilities of the storytelling part, increasing horror situation and unfolding of mysteries based on how well the players plays.

Thoughts?

PS: Still crossing my fingers for a "reset-able" Legacy style board game.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimate Frog wrote:
PS: Still crossing my fingers for a "reset-able" Legacy style board game.

That would be a "campaign" game, like Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Ultimate Frog wrote:
PS: Still crossing my fingers for a "reset-able" Legacy style board game.

That would be a "campaign" game, like Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set.


Minus the story arch.

I just looveeee board games that tells a good story (but not story telling game like arabian nights).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimate Frog wrote:
peakhope wrote:
Ultimate Frog wrote:
PS: Still crossing my fingers for a "reset-able" Legacy style board game.

That would be a "campaign" game, like Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set.


Minus the story arch.

I just looveeee board games that tells a good story (but not story telling game like arabian nights).


Why "minus the story arch"? A campaign game like the one Kevin cited has an overarching story.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Ultimate Frog wrote:
peakhope wrote:
Ultimate Frog wrote:
PS: Still crossing my fingers for a "reset-able" Legacy style board game.

That would be a "campaign" game, like Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set.


Minus the story arch.

I just looveeee board games that tells a good story (but not story telling game like arabian nights).


Why "minus the story arch"? A campaign game like the one Kevin cited has an overarching story.


Really? Never try to play it before, so maybe I was wrong. kinda draw my speculation from playthroughs on youtube. Looks like it was just a mission card, beating monsters, loot things and leveling up.

Please give me an example about its overarching story.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimate Frog wrote:
Really? Never try to play it before, so maybe I was wrong. kinda draw my speculation from playthroughs on youtube. Looks like it was just a mission card, beating monsters, loot things and leveling up.

Please give me an example about its overarching story.


As far as I know (I only played a few games on the App), the box come with an overarching campaign. The campaign (Raise of the Runelords) has specific rules that may not apply to other campaigns. Each campaign is divided in chapters, each chapter has specific rules and is further divided in quests (the single games you play). I don't know what the story is, I only remember that the sequence of quests is tied together by a common plot.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Ultimate Frog wrote:
Really? Never try to play it before, so maybe I was wrong. kinda draw my speculation from playthroughs on youtube. Looks like it was just a mission card, beating monsters, loot things and leveling up.

Please give me an example about its overarching story.


As far as I know (I only played a few games on the App), the box come with an overarching campaign. The campaign (Raise of the Runelords) has specific rules that may not apply to other campaigns. Each campaign is divided in chapters, each chapter has specific rules and is further divided in quests (the single games you play). I don't know what the story is, I only remember that the sequence of quests is tied together by a common plot.
In PACG you just play out the story - you are unable to affect the direction that the story takes. Each Scenario reveals another chapter in the story, each Adventure Pack reveals a major plot element, but there is one - fixed - story per campaign. In that way it's not dissimilar to playing Halo. Personally, I've played PACG and completely ignored the story, it just takes so long to play through along with multiple replays of Scenarios, that I can't hold the story arc in my head - so I don't bother.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have just described my feelings when I play Eldritch Horror. I mean, the story (or mystery) goes out the window after two or three turn. Maybe not being able to hold on to the story is my own fault, but I didnt feel it with dead of winter (and another card game, maybe the name was fallenn IIRC).

And I got to say playing a game that is heavy on story for just the mechanic just turn the fun into a chore.

Some game shape the story with the play mechanic, some with stories integrated with it. I am dying to try out above and below, and near and far. I heard those two combined both mechanics and story telling aspect.

Kind of curious on how this version of pandemic shapes playing experience.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimate Frog wrote:
Please give me an example about its overarching story.

In Rise of the Runelords, the heroes start out investigating some robberies in a small town. Then the town is invaded, so they help with that. Which leads them to a bigger conspiracy. Eventually they are fighting really strong monsters, to save the world. The game is structured as 6 chapters of 5 scenarios each. Each chapter has a narrative, and each chapter leads to the next.

Here is the rough plot outline, as I remember it:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
First, the heroes deal with goblin raiders. Then some ogres storm the town. That leads to a fight with giants. And then supernatural enemies.


In the box, each chapter has a paragraph of flavor, and each scenario has a paragraph of flavor. Which, honestly, isn't enough to really feel like a compelling story. However, fans created the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Guide v1.7, which uses material from the original RPG campaign to present (roughly) a page of flavor for each chapter, and a page for each scenario. The adventure guide also explains many of the allies and villains that show up throughout the game, as well as giving thematic grounding to several of the scenario objectives and/or the behavior of certain locations or villains.

And with that, we've probably gone far enough off topic. My main point was that the definition of "legacy", as I understand it, is to make irreversible changes to the game components. It is exactly that permanence which excites fans, but irritates detractors of the genre. For a game to be resettable, I believe by definition it would no longer be legacy. Thus, you would be left with a "campaign".

Whether or not there have already been campaign games released which live up to your expectations is a separate question. Even if not, I believe it is possible for them to do so in the future.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe so too.

Ah I see your point. Maybe our definition of the Legacy line is differ.

U see, I see legacy like, building a story which unique to you or your game group. I mostly take the card ripping, sticker stickin and marker on board was just a necesscity to support the experience of the developing story.

Just wished the designer could think of other ways than to alter the board permanently or giving it limited times of play. Again, maybe it is just me.

I will check out runelords, thx for the suggestion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimate Frog wrote:
You have just described my feelings when I play Eldritch Horror. I mean, the story (or mystery) goes out the window after two or three turn. Maybe not being able to hold on to the story is my own fault, but I didnt feel it with dead of winter (and another card game, maybe the name was fallenn IIRC).

And I got to say playing a game that is heavy on story for just the mechanic just turn the fun into a chore.

Some game shape the story with the play mechanic, some with stories integrated with it. I am dying to try out above and below, and near and far. I heard those two combined both mechanics and story telling aspect.

Kind of curious on how this version of pandemic shapes playing experience.
There's no in-built story in Eldritch Horror: it's about the story that you create while solving the (arbitrary) Mysteries, which just have flavour text to add narrative, but don't link things together because they (the Mysteries) are randomly selected.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, seeing as "legacy" and "storytelling" are both red flags where I'm concerned, I see it as a missed opportunity to save me a few quid.

I haven't played Pandemic in at least 6 years and already own too many unplayed mythos games, but I'm still almost guaranteed to buy a copy just because...

goo
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.