Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my first strategery question- why would you bother to venture far from Port?

I just played the 1942-"Against The Sun" Campaign. You get one Port (Pearl Harbor) and all the action for the whole game took place in Marianas and Bonins, plus one turn in Alaska before I lost my Forward Base. Unless you're going to do the Recon or Mine missions, I see no reason to venture farther than Bonins or the East China Sea. Moving to these areas means drawing a ton of Event cards (which are almost always bad- two of my Subs got sunk by Events!)

While I'd dearly love to terrorize the enemy fleet on their own doorstep in the Sea Of Japan, just as many ships can be sunk in Marianas so there's no strategic imperative for it. Am I missing something here?

Maybe I've got it wrong- after one sub finishes with his Contacts and enters the Searched box, the next sub can search the same area- or can they? If only one sub could search an area each turn then I could see spreading out all over the map. But the rules don't seem to say that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
It's perfectly possible for multiple submarines to search the same sea area but the first time each submarine draws a Convoy card you place a Warning Counter on the space. This gives a -2 modifier for the next sub searching for contacts in the same sea area later that turn. You can have multiple Warning counters and the modifiers are cumulative. So if you had three subs in the same area the second sub would have -2 when searching for contacts and the third sub -4.

It is risky moving around but it's also risky keeping several subs in the same area: they are all going to need draw Patrolling events each turn so at the mercy of fact, but they are not all as likely to find contacts, or the later subs will not find as many contacts. The advantage of locating multiple contacts is that you have the luxury not engage the less attractive targets.

So moving is risky, but it is also risky to stay put and have to deal with Patrolling events and then not get any contacts because of Warning modifiers.

Personally I'd like to see the Warning modifier as a stronger incentive to disperse the subs. After a few more plays under my belt I'm thinking of trying it as -4 instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Don't know how I completely missed the Warning markers in the rules, but I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.