Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg G.
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm on the fence if it's worth paying twice as much for the big box over the base game. I will play mostly a 2 player version and a solo variant. Is the base game sufficient or do you strongly recommend the big box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the base game but if you think you would enjoy more variety than the Big Box version is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have not specified, but from your wording I imagine you have not played the game at all ? Then to me it seems a trade-off between paying less for a game you're not sure about along with 5 extra elements you're not sure about vs. eventually having to pay more over time in the case that you do enjoy all those additions.

I'm a poor one to ask; this game has been a household favorite (especially at 3-player) for over a decade without ever investigating the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walloftruth
United States
Adrian
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short Answer: Yes.
Long Answer: Yessssss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend expansions 2 and 4. If that means getting the big box then so be it but those are generally regarded as the two best expansions. The other 3 all have worthwhile modules as well but 2 and 4 are particularly strong. Having played with a variety of the modules I think base Alhambra is fine for newbies but there is a lot of ground to explore in this design so get some expansion material for sure one way or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I'm the kind of guy who goes nuts for expansions and it would drive me crazy not to have them.

If that is NOT you, it's pretty hard to play enough Alhambra to justify having that many options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games I like expansions, some games I don't.

Carcassonne is a little too simple with too few tiles; the expansions give you lots more tiles (which you can play without) and a little more game with each one.

Small World or Dominion didn't need expansions (well, part of Dominion's charm is all the expansions), but since you only deal with the rules for the parts of the game your playing, they don't really add any complexity (except some SW expansions).

Alhambra is firmly in the don't category. I haven't seen an Alhambra expansion that's worth the time to learn the rules or the calories to unbox it. Alhambra is a very good game as it is, a good level of complexity, a good game length. Alhambra's expansions are like the worst of stretch-goal or promotional expansions: they add more rules and no improvement in game play; they're there to make money for the publisher, nothing else. And IIRC, the instructions tell you not to use more than one or two expansions at a time, so how good are they at integrating into the game?

I'll play Alhambra just about any time. But not with any expansions. They're warts on the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:
Is the base game sufficient ...

You can get a small sampling of opinions in this thread. Consider also if there are any lessons available in checking BGG numbers.

At this time 21,333 participants here have declared ownership of the game. Another 5250 have declared ownership of Big Box.

As to ownership of the extra items independently,

Alhambra: The Vizier's Favor (2004) 3339
Alhambra: The City Gates (2004) 2487
Alhambra: The Thief's Turn (2005) 1911
Alhambra: The Treasure Chamber (2006) 1835
Alhambra: Power of the Sultan (2008) 1083

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg G.
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone for very helpful answers. I played Alhambra only once, and I remember we used diamonds and magical buildings only. I don't think we used any other expansions.

I like expansions if they justify the cost. For example, it certainly did for Carcassone with River, Traders / Builders and Cathedrals. I recently bought Dice City but I skipped "All that glitters" as I thought it was too small of an expansion to justify the cost of 50% of the game.

I love tiles and I liked the gameplay of Alhambra but not having much experience with its expansions I was not sure if paying double makes sense. On the other hand, if I buy the base version and I like it a lot I may regret not getting the big box. The cost is indeed double of the base, but if I were to buy just two standalone expansions it would already make up for the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L H
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the BB and nearly always use the Diamonds and Magical Buildings. Be aware though that the MB do not come with the BB. You would need to purchase that separately.

As has been noted above, the various expansions come with good modules and some not so good modules. Each expansion has four separate modules that can be mixed and matched at will. I cannot say that there is a single expansion in which I like all of the modules. However, I would say that expansion 2 has the modules I play with most frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel has done a very nice review of all the expansions. I watched those and determined which expansions I would enjoy, and purchased only those. You could do the same and then determine if the expansions you like would cost more or less to buy separately. I generally only use a couple a the expansions regularly (diamonds, change, magical buildings, and sometimes the treasure chamber or city gates). I agree expansions 2 and 4 have the best stuff, plus 3 if you want the Change module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.