4 Posts

Gears of War: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: A quick guard question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm new to the game, not sure I played the guard action correctly yesterday, I was playing the road blocks mission ,so in the first part it was just tickers, so basically I didn't want to kill them in my area, as that would of inflicted a wound on each cog in the same area, anyhow, if an AI cards says move locust a,b,c, 3 spaces towards the nearest cog,I played it as because there were only tickers on the map, then I'd move the tickers for locusts b and c? I then chose the furthest away ticker to move 1st,on it's way towards me it moved into a space that contained 2 other tickers, I popped up and used my guard action to destroy the moving ticker, as I knew that it would explode taking the other tickers with it, now, is that correct although the moving ticker still had another space to go on its movement, which would of meant it ended up in my area,I didn't want to use the guard action in my space as it would of wounded both cogs? I thought that was o.k. But reading through some of these threads, I'm thinking you can only attack before it starts to move, but you can still guard against it as it moves out of cover but before it actually starts moving? Or once it's finished it's movement I can use guard before it attacks, providing it will attack? So if it doesn't attack then you can't activate guard? Sorry this is so long, just want to make sure I've got it. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to GoW, fellow soldier!

Rulebook p.24 wrote:
Guard
A player may discard a card with this icon at any time
during the Locust Activation step to attack one enemy
immediately before it moves or attacks. He may even
interrupt a Locust figure’s movement (for example, attack
the figure after it moves out of cover, but before it moves
toward him)
. He may not attack a Locust that is neither
moving nor attacking. For example, he cannot target a
Locust that is spawning, unless it later moves or attacks.

As the rulebook says, you can interrupt a Locust's movement with a Guard action at anytime.
The case with the Locust moving out of cover serves just an example to show that moving out of cover already counts as movement. But you are also allowed to guard when a Locust moved one step towards you.
So your action was completely in line with the rules!

The only question that remains is, can you guard against a Locust right after it ended its movement? I am not sure about that one and maybe someone else can help out here. But in your case, you played everything correctly.

Have fun playing and good hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Great. Thanks very much. I've just realised my title says quick question, then I wrote a very long question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can play the guard after the ticker finishes its movement (as it is still "activated").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.