10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Minercreations Wooden Insert: Review and How-To Tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
So, many of you have probably seen the insert done by the guys over at http://minercreations.com. Some of us have even bought it, and naturally there are questions about the design. Hopefully I will answer your questions, but if you have some, don't hesitate to ask.

This is a two-part thread about the insert. The first part is a review of the item itself, the second is a bit of DIY for improving your purchase. I am not advertising for the site, I'm just a customer who bought the item.

Part One: Let's Review!

The cost at the base model is $75 Canadian and shipping to me in the US was another $30 Canadian. Converted the costs were about $82 USD total. The order was placed and received in under two weeks, so a good turn around considering the usual wait times for KDM gear.

Upon opening...I was not impressed. The "wood" seems more like compressed wood, like the kind you make high school desks from. The color was very off-putting as well, like a third of a cup of coffee that got topped up with too much cream. There was no discernable wood grain at all, and I was not too pleased at that discovery.

However, the cuts were very clean and there were no protrusions sticking up from where they should not. And while the pieces did not look like wood, they did smell and feel like wood. Additionally, the gear trays came pre-assembled by the company. With reflection, I decided that this might not be all bad...except for that color.

Anything but that color. It would look absolutely terrible in the KDM box. So, I resolved to change it.

Part Two: Making it Better!

KDM is rapidly growing into a big Do It Yourself game. People are learning how to make foamcore inserts, learning how to do minature modelling and painting, and in my case: working with wood. Specifically: stains, sealants, and carpenter's glue.

This part is going to take some time - it took a little over a week for myself, but might go somewhat faster if you can devote more hours in the day to the project.

First: you need a large, flat table. Preferably two. My table is 6' long and was just barely able to fit everything together. Next is a suitable covering for the workspace. I used newspaper, but you might want to consider plastic if possible, as I did have issues with the paper sticking to the wood.

Second: Staining the wood. A small can of stain is all you will need. Probably not even all of the can either, so if you have a neighbor, go ask them. Instructions for staining will be on the can or on the internet. However! I HIGHLY recommend using a foam brush for all parts of the staining and sealing process. Hair brushes are likely to leave stray hairs behind, foam brushes will leave some bubbling, but that is a manageable problem. Stain one side at a time and leave plenty of drying time before re-staining.

Third: Sealing. Here is where some creativity can come in. On other posts I've seen that some DIYers are painting the sides. I'm a terrible painter, so I just went straight to the sealing, but if you're any good at it, here's where you want to go ahead. The seal I used was a simple polyurethane sealant, spread it on, let dry, sand with 220, apply your next coat. I went with two coats before gluing the pieces together, then applied a third coat to the exterior panels. If you follow this method be aware that running drips will be an issue, so apply as thin a coat as possible.

Finally: Customize. In an abortive attempt at a foamcore liner (don't ask), I'd bought some green felt to use as a liner. The felt was about $1.50 a sheet 1x1, and came with adhesive backing to one side. Cut to fit and stick it in.

And now....Photos!

All-in-all, while not impressed initially with the product, I am glad to have gotten it. And for those wondering: the card counts included here are core game and all expansions save the Dragon King (reprint awaited), Slenderman (on order), and the Lonely Tree (no chance in hell Poots, sorry). There is still gobs of room in this thing for more content to come. And all of it fits in the box, as shown in the example above. This is without the extra monster box order, though, and none of my cards are sleeved - hence the felt lining.

Box weighs like 32 lbs now, though. Just don't ever drop the damn thing. You'll break a toe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
This is very useful thanks. If I order one myself I think I'll just directly copy your method.

Please forgive my noobiness - but I'm confused by ths comment -

"and none of my cards are sleeved - hence the felt lining"

Is there some contraindication to using felt and sleeving cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kiyoshi
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the review.

My only issue is the complaint about the color and material.

Maybe it didn't say it when you first purchased it and that would be fair, but it does say made out of MDF in the description, which is exactly as you described. But it's a good material for stuff like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Miner
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Hi there,

I'm Dan from MinerCreations. And as the last poster mentioned, our product specifically states it's made from MDF (medium density fibreboard) which is the material you described. It's almost like a sawdust held together with lots of glue. The material is stronger and more durable than wood.

And the pictures of the product as well show exactly as you describe as well.

I'm glad you're happy with the product in the end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
The misunderstanding about the type of wood is likely due to my inexperience with working with wood in general, and while initially disappointed, I did see the positives about using such material, as regular wood-grain would have a possibility of warping and splitting along the grain and this material does seem like it could see much more extensive handling without worrying about such problems.

The felt lining is not contradictory to sleeving the cards, but if you don't sleeve then it is a must-include, just to add protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
veskit wrote:
Hi there,

I'm Dan from MinerCreations. And as the last poster mentioned, our product specifically states it's made from MDF (medium density fibreboard) which is the material you described. It's almost like a sawdust held together with lots of glue. The material is stronger and more durable than wood.

And the pictures of the product as well show exactly as you describe as well.

I'm glad you're happy with the product in the end!

Any chance the product will be offered in black or a darker color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Miner
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I have done in the past of using roller paint to paint the boards before laser cutting the set (in black) for $20 if you do wish that send me an email at shop@minercreations.com and I'll get you hooked up with an invoice for your order. Doing the roller paint does a nice solid coat of paint, then the cut edges have a very dark rich brown (as shown in the pictures) that is left on the edges creating a very dark rich looking finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Miner
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
An update here you can now get it pre-painted black as an option in the drop down options for the set!

http://minercreations.com/product/fantasy-survival-game-cust...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greasy Reese
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Dan! That's exactly what I was waiting for. I just submitted my order for a black set with additional monster tray.

I've been considering my options for a box insert for a while now. I just received some expansions, causing me to run out of room in the stock insert (cards are sleeved). I bought some foam core, but haven't opened the package yet because I wasn't looking forward to building my own from scratch. That's going back to the store tomorrow!

Looking forward to setting up my new insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
veskit wrote:
An update here you can now get it pre-painted black as an option in the drop down options for the set!

http://minercreations.com/product/fantasy-survival-game-cust...

Very nice, thanks for the update here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.