Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven Fritzsche
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Everyone,
I have the problem, that my gaming group doesn't consist of a fixed group of people, but rather different couples we irregularly play with.
This circumstances ultimately calls for games that have to 'click' on the first play (or alternatively are very short). Even if I could talk people into playing a game one more time, which didn't 'click' on the first play, the second play might be weeks apart from the first play, respectively making it a second 'first' play...
Deeper strategy and some complexity usually goes over fairly well, as long as it is clear from the beginning what to aim for and what strategies could be pursued. One of the best examples in my opinion is Power Grid. It definitely has strategy and complexity, but most people tend to understand immediately what the goal is and what needs to be done to achieve it. Other examples we enjoy are Chinatown, Ticket to Ride and Bohnanza. Although these games are much lighter.
Negative examples are Dominion or Imperial Settlers. Even though these games aren't overly complex/heavy, they clearly need multiple plays to be enjoyable as you have to know all the available cards fairly well to build up a valid strategy.

I hope you guys know what I mean and can recommend me some games
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort
Greed
Keyflower
Kingsburg
Lords of Waterdeep
Rialto
Small World
Stone Age
Suburbia
The Voyages of Marco Polo

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gemblo 2-6p abstract
Carcassonne 2-5p tile laying game (or one of it's many spin-offs)
Pandemic 2-5p cooperative game (5p deal same number of cards as for 4p)
Hare & Tortoise 2-6p low luck race game (best with 4p or as near 4p)
Hey, That's My Fish! 2-4p quick themed abstract - more control in a 2p game than with 3-4.
Ra or Priests of Ra 2-5p auction game. I've only played Priests - it's fairly fast to explain and the aim is reasonably obvious. I'm not sure how easy it is to play competently first play - I've played 12 times feel like I just about have a clue what I'm doing now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Pyramix and Forbidden Island might be two good options. Neither is particularly complex, but they both clicked right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel is good if someone is interested in being Jack the Ripper and being hunted by all the other players. It's easy for first-timers to play as the police, but I've been in games with new players playing Jack and it worked well too.

Samurai has very simple gameplay, but a lot of emergent depth to the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trouble - guaranteed to "click" every time you push the Pop-O-Matic dice!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:

Definitely!
It also has the advantage of becoming even more fun the more people you add. Once managed it with 9 and even with the waiting between turns everyone had fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor & Machi Koro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.