Divine Right» Forums » General

Subject: Found Divine Right 1e unpunched - should I play it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Red Sedenya
msg tools
Hi folks,

maybe an odd question, but:

A few weeks ago I bought Divine Right on eBay, condition was used.
Price was ok (65 USD), but I was lurking long enough for DR so I was happy to throw my money at.
The game arrived in my office and it was only then that I found out that although the box shows definitely its age the game itself is still unpunched and never played.
I was delighted at first but now... I am not sure if I can ever play this without feeling really bad about.
I even thought of printing out a custom-made version with the files posted here instead of putting my hands on a game that "survived" that long.

Does this sound crazy? Had you ever a similar experience and how did you solve it?

Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've no problem in solving the issue for you. I'll send you my copy of DR 1e and I'll take yours. You'll get to play the game and I'll have no problem punching out the counters and clipping them

I'd say just play the game. A new edition will be out so I can't see the price going high enough to make a profit later. I've Assault on Hoth, Twilight Imperium 1e with all expansions and the collectors edition of Discworld: Ankh-Morpork still unpunched and unplayed. Though if anyone in the game group wanted to play them I'd happily remove the shrinkwrap.

You sometimes hear or see stories of people finding a rare old Porsche or Ferrari that's sat in a shed for 40 years and is now worth a fortune. It then gets cleaned up and then sits in a museum or taken out twice a year so people can imagine the experience driving it. Personally I think it's a shame that it sat in the shed for so long as I would've preferred to have had the actual experience of driving it instead of admiring it in a pristine condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PLAY IT! That's what games are for! I could never see myself letting a game sit and no play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
There's nothing like the sound of a child's laughter to remind you that your apartment's haunted.
badge
Freedom of Speech means that the Government can't imprison you for what you say, not that the rest of us can't tell you to shut up.
mbmbmb
An unpunched copy sold recently for $86, so I don't think punching your game will devalue it significantly. In fact, many punched copies sold for more than the unpunched copy.

Play it, enjoy it, don't lose any pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shodan71 wrote:

The game arrived in my office and it was only then that I found out that although the box shows definitely its age the game itself is still unpunched and never played.
I was delighted at first but now... I am not sure if I can ever play this without feeling really bad about.
I even thought of printing out a custom-made version with the files posted here instead of putting my hands on a game that "survived" that long.

Does this sound crazy? Had you ever a similar experience and how did you solve it?

Stefan

Don't have an answer but I'm right there with you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Robrob wrote:
Shodan71 wrote:

Stefan

Don't have an answer but I'm right there with you!

I feel your pain.

I went ahead and bought a second game (Vietnam 1965-1975) which was punched.

For a different game, I was able to find aftermarket counters and pdf of the rules, so I went ahead and scanned/printed the map as well. Now I can admire this 40 year old game in all its pristine glory...and play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Sedenya
msg tools
Thanks folks - it is relieving to hear that most of you seem to be quite pragmatic and value playing over worshipping!

That said - I think of taping the "unpunching" for my next gaming weekend!

Cheers,

Stefan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cook
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I have a sealed copy I'm planning to break out and play at some point in the near future. The saddest thing in the world is an unplayed game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.