$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Stephane
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With app and all the randmonness it provides we get replayability and it's great. But I'm afraid to lose what make the spice of the game that is to say the narrative structure. You may remember but in first ed, the story were ok but the keeper had to do a fair amount of work and had to know the scenario quite well to make it a cohesive experience. Here with an app dealing with everything I'm afraid that there will be even less cohesion and that Mom will become an average dungeon crawl in a mansion.
To sum it up: The app may give you replayability with randomness but this randomnsess may also be negative to the storytelling part of the game. I hope I'm wrong. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that FFG knows its audience very well.
The Road to Legend app for Descent 2E has quests full of narrative, yet they happen to show some random elements.
Mansion of Madness's main focus is on the story so I think authors, designers and programmers work with that goal in mind an I therefore suspect that your fear - while legitimate - is unfounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Slimouze wrote:
With app and all the randmonness it provides we get replayability and it's great. But I'm afraid to lose what make the spice of the game that is to say the narrative structure. You may remember but in first ed, the story were ok but the keeper had to do a fair amount of work and had to know the scenario quite well to make it a cohesive experience. Here with an app dealing with everything I'm afraid that there will be even less cohesion and that Mom will become an average dungeon crawl in a mansion.
To sum it up: The app may give you replayability with randomness but this randomnsess may also be negative to the storytelling part of the game. I hope I'm wrong. What do you think?

You're kidding, right?

I think you're confusing randomness with variability. The entire point of having the app is so that it can change the structure of each scenario within certain bounds such as you never could with just cards.

If it were a truly random experience, you wouldn't need the app at all - you could just have a deck of cards with the names of the room tiles on them and you draw them randomly as you play. Same with the items.

The whole point of the app is so that when the investigators, for example, go downstairs, the app will only place tiles that are suitable for the basement of a mansion. And if the investigators, for example, search in the garden shed they are more likely to find a 2x4 than a tuxedo.

If the app is anything like Road to Legend, then it will end up making the stories much, much more cohesive then they ever were - or ever could be - in First Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
My personal feeling having played 1E and D2E:RtL is that the narrative will be better than the base 1e scenarios, with their all to formulaic key chain progress, but perhaps not as good as CotW. Or it could be better than CotW. Either way, I expect it to be good.

Things like unnatural weather effects that affect the party until they find cover are a great example of things that are proven to work in RtL and would be brilliant in MoM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If the app is like this with the narrative dictated by the app with sound effects that would be something I am all in on. Weather effects, rain, lightning ambient noises Creeking doors footsteps on an upstairs floor. I'm getting creeped out just thinking about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, Chris nailed it.

In case of someone in doubt, they may feel free to wait until BGG-User-approval of the App´s narrative abilities. Expected to be within hours after release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the Descent Road to Legend?
The narrative is still there...a good sign, me thinks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Slimouze wrote:

You're kidding, right?

Deep breathes. It was just a question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also assume that the narrative would even be more cohesive since it does not have to force a "competitive" nature into the story where both sides have a rich but still challenging experience. The game can focus purely on the story aspect because it can be way better tweaked without a Keeper "interfering" with the flow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Slimouze wrote:

You're kidding, right?

Deep breathes. It was just a question.

Calm down. It was just a response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played an app driven game before that's why I may be a bit naive about how it works. It appears that the randomnness will not be that randomn so it's a good thing. I had no idea that an app could be so specific lol.
All your comparisons to Road of legends and the examples that you give make me want to play the game even more. It's really promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slimouze wrote:
I never played an app driven game before that's why I may be a bit naive about how it works. It appears that the randomnness will not be that randomn so it's a good thing. I had no idea that an app could be so specific lol.
All your comparisons to Road of legends and the examples that you give make me want to play the game even more. It's really promising.

That´s the spirit! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sitting Duck
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IMO it's the players who come up with the narrative. A while back, I ran the Silver Tablet scenario with two players who selected Joe Diamond and Kate Winthrop. I start off slowly and place a couple of Cultists on the board, moving them in for the kill. Joe opens fire and... fares rather poorly. While Joe does defeat the Cultists, he takes some lumps in the process. Kate's player then makes some disparaging remarks about Joe's marksmanship. Joe's player then asks if Kate wants to give it a go, and Kate's player accepts. Since I like to give players an out before they screw themselves over, I ask if they're sure about that. They reply in the affirmative. Since they're on the same space, Kate gets the Twin .45s during the next Trade Phase. Shortly thereafter I draw the next Event Card which causes a Hound of Tindalos to appear. Wishing to show the folly of using a character with such lame physical attributes for combat, I move it in for the kill. Kate opts to shoot at it, so I draw Combat cards and the first one for ranged combat calls for... an Intellect test? That's right, Kate got to use her best attribute for her first combat. So what should have been a messy end for the investigators instead gets the pooch one-shotted. Kate's player continues to perform spectacularly in combat. Now recall that Kate's character description states that she's shy and withdrawn. Kate's player interpreted that to mean that she has a lot of pent up rage and played her like it was all finally bursting out.

Another amusing incident later occurred when I moved a Cultist to attack Kate. The Combat card called for a Dexterity test in which she succeeded. This caused a whiff which inflicted damage on the Cultist, who was already down to his last hit point. Since this occurred in the Kitchen, the players conjectured that the Cultist ran into a wall and some knives on a mounted sideboard fell out and perforated him. So I think whether Keeper duties are handled by a person or an app, players capable of creating their own stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
And that above is why I loved MoM's combat cards so much.

I hope 2nd edition captures the narrative flair with the flavor text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.