Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have SV and absolutely love the game.Would it be worth owning this one as well? How do the 2 games compare?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you're familiar with the three levels of war, there's a simple reply. Whether or not it answers your question is a different matter.

Silent Victory models the tactical level of war.
Gato Leader models the operational level of war.

That's the most basic way of contrasting the two games. Each will give you a different gaming "experience" only by virtue of the scope of command responsibilities each models. But of course this doesn't answer the question, "Is it worth owning both?"

To answer that question, I'd of course have to get to know you. Since I don't, the best I can offer is my own opinion which suits me... and that is, "Yes". If you're a WWII submarine warfare buff, then there's definitely a niche for both games, if not for the reason I mention above. So I bought both. (And there's a third game which I'll mention below).

I also have to admit that I haven't played Gato Leader yet, as I just got it. But I have skimmed the rules and have a good gist of what the game is about. And I really look forward to trying it out. If it's anything at all like the experience you get from DVG's Thunderbolt Apache Leader, then it will be worth it to add to your collection! Though whether or not it'll be worth it for your budget is another question entirely!

OK, about that third game... I'm talking about Silent War. If you ask me, I'd say that Silent Victory, Gato Leader, and Silent War make-up the perfect trifecta of WWII submarine themed solitaire gaming!

At the top, I mentioned only two levels of war. Well, there's a third level: "Strategic". And that's where Silent War Service falls into place. So the three games go like this:

Strategic Level of War: Silent War Service (You command a fleet at the Theater of War level).
Operational Level of War: Gato Leader (You command a squadron).
Tactical Level of War: Silent Victory (You command a single boat).

Now, before someone calls me out on it, be it known that there is no perfect delineation between the three levels of war. There never will be. Quite often, theaters, organizations, and operations fall across two levels. So they have to be shoe-horned into one.

For instance, it can be argued that Silent War Service is more Operational than Strategic, as it concerns itself with only one ocean (Pacific theater) whereas the Strategic level was actually being managed by the War Dept in Washington (i.e., managing both Pacific and European theaters). But one could also argue that the enormity of the entire Pacific theater required management at the Strategic level. That's the way it is, today. So when comparing the three games, it was easy/appropriate to "shoe-horn" Silent War Service into the Strategic level.

And for Gato Leader, it can be argued that a squadron operates at the Tactical level of war, not at the Operational. Again, this is true actually, in most cases. But again, for the purpose of comparing/contrasting the three games, it is most appropriate to "shoe-horn" Gato Leader into the Operational Level, as quite frankly, it appears that's the way the game comes closest in its feel and scope of operations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry, nice overview! However, you say Silent Service in a few places, but I assume you mean Silent War?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whipple
United States
South Dennis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Half way through my first game.

Similar to SV but enough difference to warrant both. SV and Gato Leader overlap in some areas but the differences I have noticed so far....you manage multiple boats, you choose your patrol area (but choices are limited) contacts and events are card draw driven (number or contacts is decided by dice and modifiers...i.e. dice could drive two contacts and card draw could be one ship or a convoy.

Card draw is a nice change of pace from SV.

Just setting up my first attack but so far there is much less dice rolling.

Don't see how a SV fan would not enjoy this one too. If Budget said only one, comes down to your cup of tea...dice driven game or card/chit draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

MVives wrote:
Barry, nice overview! However, you say Silent Service in a few places, but I assume you mean Silent War?

Wow! Great catch. I don't know how I missed that. Yes, I was indeed talking about Silent War!

It was getting close to my bedtime, so I was tired. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (BTW, Silent Service is the name of the old computer WWII sub simulation/game by Micropose. I must've had that stuck in my head)!

Anyway, it's fixed now.

Thanks for letting me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.