Hide
10 Posts

Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » Rules

Subject: SOLO rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david wood
msg tools

Can you play SOLO without using a DUMMY player? Can all the scenarios be played solo? Please be specific. I know there are cooperative and competitive missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo play always requires the dummy, because it acts as the timer for each round.

Of course, the game is yours, so you can do what you want. You could just play without one and end each round when you run out of cards.

As for other scenarios, you can play any non-PVP scenario as solo. You just add a dummy player, and have at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't use a dummy player, then it is possible to stall for the perfect hand, making the game less challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools
So any non PVP scenario could be played solo without a DUMMY but it would make the scenario less challenging. Would you think it would take away too much fun of the game? Or do you think it would be like changing a game setting from NORMAL to EASY?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools

So any non PVP scenario could be played solo without a DUMMY but it would make the scenario less challenging. Would you think it would take away too much fun of the game? Or do you think it would be like changing a game setting from NORMAL to EASY?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Mage Knight Conquest scenario (4 cities, 6 rounds) without a dummy just to learn to play and deal with multi token locations. I'd have to say the game was very boring. I always had the tactic I needed/wanted. And it never hurt me to wait a turn to attack, or move backwards just to kill a token I couldn't in the early game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never add the dummy to solo or coop Mage Knight. I know it's not RAW but I don't care and it's just stuff to track. I just don't screw around with the perfect hand optimization.

Remember if you are playing solo it's not like there's anyone besides you to satisfy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP: why do you want to skip it?

The dummy player is extremely simple to run. No complicated flow chart or decisions. I wouldn't consider playing without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm...you could dump the dummy in favor of an actual timer. That would be an interesting new wrinkle. No more time for analysis paralysis...or analysis at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny O
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Overwood wrote:
Hmmmm...you could dump the dummy in favor of an actual timer. That would be an interesting new wrinkle. No more time for analysis paralysis...or analysis at all.

Tried this one a couple of times during solo playtesting, at 20 minutes per round. The early rounds went pretty well.

The later rounds, not so much. Maybe I should have started smaller, and gradually increased my time allowance, or just set a time limit for the whole mission.

In any case, time pressure adds a new element to the game: regretting the stuff that you realize you could have done, only a little too late.

Though I prefer a leisurely stroll through the galaxy, taking time to think through every option, I would play warpspeed ST:F again, if I knew I had but a short time in which to finish a game. I just wouldn't expect a very high score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.