8 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Mage Knight Lore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
Hi,

Tomorrow (hopefully) I'll be picking my Mage Knight copy, and in order to speed things I was checking the online manual. I noted the story and was a bit confused by it.

After a quick research, I figured out Mage Knight was a miniature game before his current iteration. I was wondering if the board-game is basically the same world as the card game. Is the board-game continues the story line of the card game? Is it worth perhaps digging some world lore from the card-game wiki? or the old content is never really referenced in the board-game (card flavours/names) and it's basically a flat theme?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a post-apocalypse version of the world from the miniatures game. You don't need to read any of the fluff from the old game to appreciate the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Ben says you don't really need to appreciate any of the Lore.

However I was interested so did read a bit of background - there is a wiki around which is dedicated to Mage Knight (original game). It was a while ago but from memory this is set a while after the original; I just enjoyed reading about some of the factions and their history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Same for me. I bet the game mechanics are great, but I feel like the whole experience is extensive if you know what the Draconum are.

Do you recall where the wiki was? I can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good starter was here; http://mageknight.wikia.com/wiki/Mage_Knight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The lore from the old game doesn't really mesh with the lore from the board game. Its pretty much a re-boot of the lore. The names and places are the same, the story has been changed.

Having said that, the lore from the board game is/was pretty good. It was one of the aspects I really enjoyed while I the miniatures game was still alive, and its worth a read, imo.

Edit: Also, if you want a fairly exhaustive collection of the old lore I'd actually suggest http://www.mkrealms.com/showthread.php?559985-Mage-Knight-Re... A little bit down the first post you'll find a whole bunch of links to the fiction. I especially enjoyed Kastali's Scrying Chamber entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Gribbon wrote:

Thank!

Hero Guy wrote:
Having said that, the lore from the board game is/was pretty good.

Thanks Hero Guy, I wasn't aware the boardgame was a reboot. I did some poking for information as I didn't know what Draconum are and why they hatch. I will check the web-site you linked. However, what is this 'board game lore' you speaking of? I only start reading the manual, but I noted you only have small paragraph at the start about couple of factions and what mage knights are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:
Gribbon wrote:

Thank!

Hero Guy wrote:
Having said that, the lore from the board game is/was pretty good.

Thanks Hero Guy, I wasn't aware the boardgame was a reboot. I did some poking for information as I didn't know what Draconum are and why they hatch. I will check the web-site you linked. However, what is this 'board game lore' you speaking of? I only start reading the manual, but I noted you only have small paragraph at the start about couple of factions and what mage knights are?

That's pretty much it, as far as I recall. There really isn't much lore for the board game version, but what is there does not mesh with the original lore from the miniatures game. The miniatures game was supported by an organized play system where stores could hold events using lore driven scenarios. WK would send stores that signed up for the events prize kits and then the stores would be able to report the results of the tournaments online. At the end of the month, the results would be tallied and the outcome would determine how the 'story played out'. Kind of like a nationwide campaign. It was pretty amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.