Subject: When can you play a minion granted by Sprout? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
arry -
msg tools
mbmb
Here's a card from Awesome Level 9000:
Quote:
Ongoing: Destroy this card at the start of your turn. You may search your deck for a minion of power 3 or less, and play it here as an extra minion. Shuffle your deck.

Can you play the extra minion during the same turn you play Sprout?

Generally if two sentences follow each other, you can ignore their order. This text lacks the word "then", and these are different sentences - not joined by a comma, - so I think that you can play the extra minion this turn, and Sprout will be destroyed next turn. Besides, it's not so powerful an ability to bring in 5 or less power in one card play, and Sprout will be destroyed next turn anyway.

Is there an official clarification on how Sprout works?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it should be on this phase:

Quote:
Ongoing: Destroy this card at the start of your turn. You may search your deck for a minion of power 3 or less, and play it here as an extra minion. Shuffle your deck.

i.e. since you destroy it at the start of your turn you could, for instance put a Water Lily in play and still draw a card from it's ability (since it's the start of your turn -phase 1).

You do raise a good point tough. It is poorly written.
Since it's an ongoing I wouldn't expect it to be activated on play. i.e. the only time/event reference in the ability is the destruction event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only do it at the start of your turn. Ongoing effect tell you when it happens. Else you could draw an infinite amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arry1 wrote:
Here's a card from Awesome Level 9000:
Quote:

Can you play the extra minion during the same turn you play Sprout?

Generally if two sentences follow each other, you can ignore their order. This text lacks the word "then", and these are different sentences - not joined by a comma, - so I think that you can play the extra minion this turn, and Sprout will be destroyed next turn. Besides, it's not so powerful an ability to bring in 5 or less power in one card play, and Sprout will be destroyed next turn anyway.

Is there an official clarification on how Sprout works?

Thanks!

If you played this card, it is no longer the start of your turn, thus you would not be able to use its ability in the turn you played the minion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumps wrote:
If you played this card, it is no longer the start of your turn, thus you would not be able to use its ability in the turn you played the minion.

I used to think the same but then on Pretty Pretty the "Phase 1" was renamed: (from "crank it up")
Quote:
Phase 1: Start Turn

Tough there's still some controversy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.