Empires of the Middle Ages» Forums » Variants

Subject: Semi simultaneous player turn viability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Schneider
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I purchased the DG edition of EOTM and felt burned by the quality of the production (not enough counters to cover things, I mean not even turn markers, change of language markers in scenario etc) versus the premium price, so I promptly shelved it for now years.

Well, finally set it up solo and am playing through, and now that the butthurt of the production vs cost has subsided, I am really enjoying this game!

One thought though - for the veteran players out there, is there any game breaking reason why one could not have players go in player turn order EACH year eg player 1 - 1st Year Endeavour, Player 2 - 1st Year Endeavour, then back to player 1 - 2nd Year End, Player 2 etc etc?

Thematically makes more sense to me, would allow for more player action/reaction, and less downtime. All players would have to draw their event cards and play them out accordingly at the beginning of the round of course.

Just a thought - and am going to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
von wildensee wrote:

One thought though - for the veteran players out there, is there any game breaking reason why one could not have players go in player turn order EACH year eg player 1 - 1st Year Endeavour, Player 2 - 1st Year Endeavour, then b

It would negate the advantage of the better leaders determining the turn order. Moving last generally means you get to use all 5 Year cards, whilst moving first generally means keeping at least 1 Year card for defense, and sometimes up to 4 Year cards as defense.

Whether that is game breaking I'm not prepared to state, but certainly game changing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah yes, didn't think of that one. It would definitely minimize the impact of great vs poor leaders, but turn order would still be determined by the better leader player (still allowing him the last reaction).

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the game play as is. Just thought it funny one player goes through what is supposed to represent 5 years worth of actions, then reset the clock, next player does the same 5 yrs of actions etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
von wildensee wrote:
OK, so I purchased the DG edition of EOTM and felt burned by the quality of the production (not enough counters ...

The SPI version didn't, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Founding Fathers: Before politics became a reality show.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It would also slow things down quite a bit because of the inevitable delay in getting the next player to realize that it's their turn. Context-switching takes a lot of time.

We have often had players take simultaneous turns though. In a lot of cases it's pretty clear the next two players are not going to attack each other, so we ask, can X take their turn at the same time as you? Usually it's yes -- maybe the two empires aren't even close to bordering one another -- so it's not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.