Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: the_BGG_condition [+] [View All]
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm moving in a couple of days and my board games took up the most boxes. I milled over my board games list and keep telling myself to stop buying games. They already exceeded my shelf space and are spilling over to other tables, chairs even the floor.

I just can't seem to pass up a good deal, but I know I need to stop. For you former addicts like myself, how did you stop or limit yourself? I can really use some help. I know I need to stop, but I can't control my impulses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Every time you buy a game, cut off one of your fingers.

At some point you'll realize that in order to keep playing games you'll probably need some of them. You'll find the right balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop coming to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Stop coming to BGG.

That. And stop going to Kickstarter, etc. Cut yourself from the hobby altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An-Jen Tai
United States
Palmyra
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is advice I can't seem to follow but I think the best strategy is to decide on a number of games you think you should have, say 100, then be ruthless about sticking to that number. Every time you exceed it, you start cutting your collection back to the target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's no use to me to buy a game if it isn't (potentially) better and better-suited for my group(s) than the current ones.

It's not a good deal if the game isn't going to get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alternately, leave your credit card at home when you go out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I set my collection size to fit my storage space: one big shelf.

Then I unloaded any game I rate less than an 8 or haven't played in over a year for whatever reason. Kids' games were spared, as were very tiny card games.

Then the key is to only buy games if you first get rid of one of relatively equal size. If it has enough value to make up for shipping then sell it, otherwise give it away.

YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure death will at least slow me down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sallay
msg tools
mbmb
If you don't already, start logging your plays on bgg. The bgg app is great for this. You can see how often you play (or don't play) each game. If you have that many games there is a good chance, you aren't playing some real gems because you always feel like you have to break out something new. The app ( and maybe somewhere here on the website) has your h-Index. It is a measure of both the breadth and depth of the games that you play. If your h-index is low, focusing on raising it may help you have more desire to play the games that you already have.

Also, in your collection, you can put in how much you paid for each game. You may feel like you aren't spending very much each time you purchase a game, but if you look over the last year or so, you may see that you have spent far more than you would have guessed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of buying new games, trade away games you are not playing to get new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What soever
msg tools
mb
Nothing wrong in getting boardgames you like, just review them first on youtube/bgg etc. And then get rid of old games you don't play anymore. That way you will have more or like the same number of games in your collection and still can get new ones if u want.

That or limit yourself to 5-10 games per year. Anyhow if you can't play games and they are at best mediocre for you sell them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel E
Germany
Hattersheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
Omnomnom
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and me made a deal: If some of us would buy something, we would have to sell/give away the same amount of games. Charm is, that you are increasing the (subjectiv) quality of your games library while keeping the occcupied space in check.
Because if you have to release a game to buy another one, you are already comparing the games and maybe come to the conclusion, that the new game isn´t better then something in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry. It's only a matter of time before Asmodee buys all the board game companies up and then it's going to be cost prohibitive to buy anything anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeWildStar wrote:
I just can't seem to pass up a good deal, but I know I need to stop.

It's not a good deal if you're buying things you don't want to buy.

1) get rid of games you don't want. Not trade, sell. Or give away. Or if you trade, trade many-for-one. Actually reduce the amount of games you have at hand.
2) give yourself a limit on space or number and stick to it. If you exceed either, you have to get rid of something to balance it out.
3) Give yourself a period of time to not acquire any more new games. Say, for a certain time period or until a list of 10 or so games you already own get played or whatever, and stick to it. No exceptions, no Kickstarter, no "but but this deal"

Once you have "missed out" on some new hotness or "must have" KS and realize that you're still alive, it becomes a lot easier to skip the next one. Once you realize you have plenty of games and don't miss those shelf-warmers, it'll be easier to get rid of more. And then you'll be able to resist "deals" and buying junk just for the sake of buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deciding that I was a player of games, not a collector of games.

Games I own but don't play are a waste of space in my house, a waste of my money, and a waste of the planet's resources.

If I'm bothering to own a game, that must mean that I intend to play it within the year. If I own a game that I don't like enough to play at least once a year, then do I really like it enough to own it?

On the subject of specials. I realized that buying two games I kind of want on special for 30$ each (regularly 60$), as a game player, was not as good an investment as buying one game I really want for 60$.

Because, every time I play a game off my shelf it is an opportunity cost of every other game on my shelf that is good at that player count with these people. Why play a game I like? When I can play a game I love? This means only owning the great games and ridding myself of the good games.

This was the process I went through myself. Obviously, I have to use BGG to track my plays for this to function. I think the keeping track of how much you have spent is also a great idea. I think most people don't realize just how many thousands of dollars they are spending on games that collect dust in their cupboards. Speaking of BGG, it helps to shut down the Hotness sidebar and to use your time on the site in the areas that aren't about consumerism and obsessing over buying the hot new thing (or, in the case of kickstarter, paying for the hot doesn't even exist yet so who knows if it'll be any good or not but probably not due to lack of good development thing). Using adblock will help with this as well.

This year I have purchased all of one new game, Pandemic Legacy. I bought it in January. I recently purchased Apples to Apples in a thrift shop to play with my family as well, as I've always wanted to play, but didn't want to pay retail prices for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rollins
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
There's no good answer that doesn't basically boil down to stop or slow down.

Pick a monthly budget for games, like $50 or $100. Stick to it. Use cash if you can, instead of digital money. It's a lot easier and more visceral to watch it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lack of disposable income
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Savva
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Quote:
Stop coming to BGG.

That. And stop going to Kickstarter, etc. Cut yourself from the hobby altogether.

Non-sense. I am 2,5 years into the hobby and I have 14 boardgames (but sold some during this time). While one friend is 1 year into the hobby, and he has 100 titles (I think he is still shopping).
Many of us seek fulfilment and happiness in this hobby (and what a wonderful place to search, with all these awesome bits and intricate mecanics). The thing is, while this activity can be fun and stimulating, it shouldn't become a cover-up/quick fix to other frustrations.
I see so many boardgames hobbyists developing very large collections, while playing rarely. It's an epidemic. In the same time I know many boardgamers having really small collections, but playing the heck out of them. Like that couple that seems to never get over Catan, but the guy never gets over Eclipse, Runewars or A game of thrones 2nd Edition.
The idea that in order to be involved into the hobby you have to buy always games is dangerous, even if I believe it has been said with a bit of irony. I know many passionate gamers that are not compulsive buyers, and they visit frequently bgg also
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Lack of disposable income

+1

This is me right now. A large unexpected expense wiped out a very large chunk (basically all) of my discretionary funds, so time to temporarily tighten the purse strings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I'm pretty sure death will at least slow me down.

What he said. zombie (maybe!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are moving in a few weeks and when we looked at our game collection we were shocked how many boxes it would take to move it all. We ended up selling off close to 40 games to lessen the load. We now will have open space on our shelf after the move, so we have decided to only purchase games if it will fit on the shelf or we are willing to get rid of a game we currently own.
It sounds like a good plan, but I am not confident we will hold to this plan. The good news is our new house is bigger and we could easily add more shelves to the room where our games will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading games away will give you the thrill of getting new stuff (and new games!) without expanding your game collection. This helped me trim down a lot.

As others have mentioned, sell the games you don't play any more. Take a look at your shelf and say "would I ever play X instead of Y?" and if there's no reason, then sell it. Run a geek auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatU wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Quote:
Stop coming to BGG.

Non-sense. I am 2,5 years into the hobby and I have 14 boardgames (but sold some during this time). While one friend is 1 year into the hobby, and he has 100 titles (I think he is still shopping).
Many of us seek fulfilment and happiness in this hobby (and what a wonderful place to search, with all these awesome bits and intricate mecanics). The thing is, while this activity can be fun and stimulating, it shouldn't become a cover-up/quick fix to other frustrations.
I see so many boardgames hobbyists developing very large collections, while playing rarely. It's an epidemic. In the same time I know many boardgamers having really small collections, but playing the heck out of them. Like that couple that seems to never get over Catan, but the guy never gets over Eclipse, Runewars or A game of thrones 2nd Edition.
The idea that in order to be involved into the hobby you have to buy always games is dangerous, even if I believe it has been said with a bit of irony. I know many passionate gamers that are not compulsive buyers, and they visit frequently bgg also

Well said. I'm also 2,5 years back in the hobby and I'm coming down off the acquisition disorder phase of gaming. I have way more Kickstarters coming in than I can play and a shelf full of unplayed games. im a more disciplined buyer now and get more new-to-me games through trades now than I do through purchases.

I've also honed in on what I really enjoy. Whereas my purchases a year ago were scattershot and all over the mat, now I know what I want and what I'll be able to get to the table. It took some time to get there, but I finally did and my collection is much better now for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Alternately, leave your credit card at home when you go out?

I buy 99.1% of my games online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.