Subject: Most stars in a turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the largest number of stars you have seen placed in a turn? In theory you could place five, or six if you are Saxony. In practice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game with Saxony I placed 4, but missed my 5th by 1 power point. I won 2 of my 3 battles, completed an objective and performed my last upgrade all on the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone manages to place all 6 stars in one turn (which I think is impossible [EDIT: people are smart, and it definitely is not impossible! See comments below]), I'll send them a pack of metal coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsman
United States
Ely
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenge accepted! So far I get 4 in one turn in a three player game... the other players where not happy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clark
United States
Holliston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember is move paired with enlist on any of the boards? If it is, couldn't Saxony move three times and win three battles, complete one (or even two objectives), and then enlist their final recruit, which then gives them the final two points of popularity to get to the top of the board for the final star?

I'm having fun with this game and can't wait to play more! Only three games so far under my belt and I haven't won yet, but I am getting better each time and my scores are climbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
If someone manages to place all 6 stars in one turn (which I think is impossible), I'll send them a pack of metal coins.

Well, I think the only faction that could do it would be Saxony. It would mean winning 3 combats, completing 2 objectives and finishing their last building/upgrade/mech/recruit all on the same turn. I don't know all the objectives by heart, but the one requiring you to control two territories next to the factory could easily be done as part of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Watkins
United States
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
If someone manages to place all 6 stars in one turn (which I think is impossible), I'll send them a pack of metal coins.

Already did it, I was Saxony with the patriotic mat I had the objectives Control 3 tundra spaces and control 3 tunnels. I did a move action and attacked the two tunnels that are on tundras and one other space which I don't remember (I already controlled the tundra in my starting area and the tunnel just outside of it). I then completed my sixth upgrade.

Edit: I guess I didn't mention it but I won all three battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AFClark wrote:
I can't remember is move paired with enlist on any of the boards? If it is, couldn't Saxony move three times and win three battles, complete one (or even two objectives), and then enlist their final recruit, which then gives them the final two points of popularity to get to the top of the board for the final star?

I'm having fun with this game and can't wait to play more! Only three games so far under my belt and I haven't won yet, but I am getting better each time and my scores are climbing.

I agree, when I played last weekend it was accomplished by the Saxony player -- although I can't say for sure whether or not we were playing correctly. We generally forget a couple rules.

Actually I can't remember if it was 5 or 6 stars, but either way it ended the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos_Theory wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Already did it, I was Saxony with the patriotic mat I had the objectives Control 3 tundra spaces and control 3 tunnels. I did a move action and attacked the two tunnels that are on tundras and one other space which I don't remember (I already controlled the tundra in my starting area and the tunnel just outside of it). I then completed my sixth upgrade.

Can Saxony actually get 5 stars from combats and objectives? The rulebook says "There is no limit of the stars you can place from objectives or winning combat"

If there is no limit on both then it should actually say "and"; "or" technically implies that you get no limits on one OR no limits on the other. Though I can see both interpretations and haven't looked at any FAQs or anything like that yet.

(I haven't yet played and am looking at online rules not the printed copy at home, so I'm happy to be wrong on this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
Can Saxony actually get 5 stars from combats and objectives? The rulebook says "There is no limit of the stars you can place from objectives or winning combat"

If there is no limit on both then it should actually say "and"; "or" technically implies that you get no limits on one OR no limits on the other. Though I can see both interpretations and haven't looked at any FAQs or anything like that yet.
A logical OR is a superset of a logical AND. You're thinking of a logical XOR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos_Theory wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Yeah, that's the only kind of scenario I can conceive of that would enable it. 3 from combat (as you an move at most 3 units creating 3 combats), 1 from a bottom row action, and then 2 from objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehrine wrote:
Chaos_Theory wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Yeah, that's the only kind of scenario I can conceive of that would enable it. 3 from combat (as you an move at most 3 units creating 3 combats), 1 from a bottom row action, and then 2 from objectives.

How about this monster, from any faction?
1- Win 1 battle
2- Win 2nd battle
3- Complete objective
4- Gain final recruit from an encounter (after move action)
5- Use recruit to top off power or popularity
6- Use bottom row action to complete structures, mechs, or upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saxony could, in one turn, do six of these seven:
1-3: win three combats
4-5: fulfill two objectives
6: complete one of the bottom row actions
7: get to 16 power or 18 popularity by way of a recruit bonus

I can not see a way any other faction can get more than five stars in a turn.

Edit: Ninja'ed. You could with an encounter. But you could not plan it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Everyone is thinking too small!

It's actually possible for any faction to get a theoretical 7/actual 6 stars in one turn. There are a few variations, but here's an example:
Top row: move
Win 2 combats (2 stars)
Encounter card that gives the final recruit (1 star)
Put that recruit on Power and maximize it (1 star)
Bottom row: build
Build final structure (1 star)
Get popularity bonus and maximize popularity (1 star)
Reveal completed objective (1 star)

Saxony could use this same method to get a theoretical 9 stars in one turn.

Edit: somewhat ninjaed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaus O K wrote:
Saxony could, in one turn, do six of these seven:
1-3: win three combats
4-5: fulfill two objectives
6: complete one of the bottom row actions
7: get to 16 power or 18 popularity by way of a recruit bonus

I can not see a way any other faction can get more than five stars in a turn.

Edit: Ninja'ed. You could with an encounter. But you could not plan it.

I disagree - you can count on being able to get a star from an encounter if you've got one of each type of item (worker,upgrade,structure,mech,recruit) waiting in the wings. There is only a chance that your card will offer you the same item as you were intending to place with your bottom action (probably what, 20%?). Replace the power or popularity from placing the recruit to getting it by way of a recruit bonus (as you suggested) and the same holds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes. But you can not plan for that. You need a lucky encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achilles Last Stand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Klaus O K wrote:

If one is placing more than 3 stars in a turn, I'd say lady luck is involved in some capacity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaus O K wrote:

I think in order to pull off any of these, you need either some element of luck in encounters or in the players you get placed with letting you get away with it. I think you can probably hedge your bets pretty good, though. (also, the problem with Saxony pulling their 3 combats on a turn off is the amount of power it would cost them to win three battles on a turn, especially considering that their plastic would be spread thinner.)

This should be one of the achievements on the achievements sheet!! "Win a game you end by placing all 6 of your Stars on a single turn."

Edit: ninja'd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that four or five stars would also merit an achievement.

Wouldn't it be ironic of you fulfilled "Become a belowed pacifist" by fighting three combats?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_windcaster wrote:

I disagree - you can count on being able to get a star from an encounter if you've got one of each type of item (worker,upgrade,structure,mech,recruit) waiting in the wings. There is only a chance that your card will offer you the same item as you were intending to place with your bottom action (probably what, 20%?). Replace the power or popularity from placing the recruit to getting it by way of a recruit bonus (as you suggested) and the same holds.

Taking what amounts to a bottom row action from an encounter often costs popularity. And winning two or three combats the same round that you reach 16 power from a recruit bonus requires very unusual circumstances. Even more unusual than the other scenarios, that is. But yes, in principle it could be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaus O K wrote:

Taking what amounts to a bottom row action from an encounter often costs popularity. And winning two or three combats the same round that you reach 16 power from a recruit bonus requires very unusual circumstances. Even more unusual than the other scenarios, that is. But yes, in principle it could be done.

Yeah... that's a good point! The "Practicality" of this is becoming fuzzier and fuzzier! Like, you would have to already be AT full popularity or power (and thus have gained that star) before the turn began in order to make any of these plans happen! Especially when planning a 3-combat turn for Saxony. Especially if you're NOT counting on lucky combat card draws!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
If someone manages to place all 6 stars in one turn (which I think is impossible [EDIT: people are smart, and it definitely is not impossible! See comments below]), I'll send them a pack of metal coins.

Jamey, Jamey, Jamey, Jamey, Jamey - shame on you - how could you forget or underestimate the creativeness and inventiveness of gamers?

Go and stand in the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Baumgarten
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to keep in mind for some of these scenarios involving greater than 6 stars in a turn is that the game ends once that 6th star hits the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
RustyBaker wrote:
One thing to keep in mind for some of these scenarios involving greater than 6 stars in a turn is that the game ends once that 6th star hits the board.

That's why I called them "theoretical stars." It does mean there's more flexibility in getting 6 in the turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Klaus O K wrote:
I think that four or five stars would also merit an achievement.

Wouldn't it be ironic of you fulfilled "Become a belowed pacifist" by fighting three combats?

Yes I had that option this evening.. was thinking of initiating some massive combats with max power which is kinda ironic..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.