Subject: Feedback on aborted trades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Is there a way to give feedback on buyers or sellers when a transaction does not take place?

I have had a couple of failed purchase attempts recently where in my view the seller has not behaved well (in one case failing to fulfil a condition in the advertised trade, in another simply not replying to the offer) which has resulted in the trade being cancelled. I can't see a way of giving feedback on the sellers to this effect, but it seems that being able to do so would assist other buyers thinking of dealing with them. Equally, a transaction which is aborted because of unreasonable behaviour on the buyer's part (for example promising to pay but never doing so) would be worth recording for other sellers' benefit.

Have I missed seeing how to do this? Or is it deliberate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McMurray

Chickopee
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it isn't allowed, since it isn't a completed transaction. The only suggestion I have is that if you think something unacceptable went down, then contact Octavian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
OK, thanks. I'm not particularly concerned about the abandoned transactions - I would be wary of dealing with those people now in any case - but it seems that it would be of use to others to be able to highlight unhelpful behaviour just as much in setting up trades as in completing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be useful to see which people don't respond to trade offers, and just wait for them to expire, as that's quite annoying behaviour which wastes a lot of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
It would be useful to see which people don't respond to trade offers, and just wait for them to expire, as that's quite annoying behaviour which wastes a lot of time.

I never send an official trade offer until it's been hashed out via geekmail first, and most traders I've dealt with do that as well.

Usually, when I ignore a trade offer (which is rare) it's because someone tried to offer me their $10 game for my $50 game. That's so insulting it doesn't merit my time to reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is indeed how I mostly have worked in the passed and indeed I do not reply on those stupid offers. Next to that it's not always bad will from the user in question but I have known that I was at work when I saw a trade geekmail pass, checked it and decided to reply later on. Then completely forget about it. So it's not always bad manners but just forgetting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
OK, so the disappointed user could leave feedback saying "I offered him my $10 game for his $50 game and he didn't even reply!"

That would be useful information too.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I think if this were available, it would be abused. I've had at least two people start asking me questions about trades or marketplace purchases who weren't going to buy at all they just wanted to ask a billion questions about the game. (I am assuming this because one particular user has done it repeatedly and never purchased anything.) Do I really want them giving feedback for me based on that interaction? No. I don't, and now that I know that user and how much time they use up, I just choose not to play the games. I don't want a bunch of bad reviews for that. (I should clarify that I always welcome GMs to discuss things. I am just not a fan of GMs that claim to want to start multiple transactions that never go anywhere. Id be more than happy to answer the same questions posed in a different situation.)

It seems like it could be prone to the same problems that Yelp is prone to where random users give bad ratings for ridiculous reasons. Even suggesting that not responding to trade request warrants a bad(ish?) note is odd because most users don't respond to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
I should perhaps clarify this is about offers to purchase items offered for sale - not game-for-game exchanges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool username wrote:
nickbolton wrote:

I never send an official trade offer until it's been hashed out via geekmail first, and most traders I've dealt with do that as well.

That's the bit that earned my thumb.

cool username wrote:
Usually, when I ignore a trade offer (which is rare) it's because someone tried to offer me their $10 game for my $50 game. That's so insulting it doesn't merit my time to reply.

I don't buy that - if you felt the offer was insulting, let them know. If nobody tells them, they could go through a long list of potential traders insulting them all one after another and never have a clue. Waste of time for all concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:
I should perhaps clarify this is about offers to purchase items offered for sale - not game-for-game exchanges.

If somebody won't live up to the terms of their offer as posted in the BGG Marketplace, you should contact an admin to sort it out:

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb

If on the other hand you're trying to circumvent the BGG commission by using the trade manager to work out sales, you're not going to get a lot of support.
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Well I'm absolutely not doing the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.