$30.00
Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Best work by an artist you loathe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 201: October 13, 14 & 15 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and while, am I right? What's one work from an artist you usually loath that, for whatever reason just hits your sweet spot?

For me: I absolutely can't stand Will Farrell. It's just that overgrown moronic man-child in every movie. Oh look, now he's an elf! Now he's a figure skater! Now he owns a basketball team! Blech.

Except ... Stranger than Fiction. I absolutely adore this movie even though Will Farrell is in it. Probably because he's not playing that same annoying character. He plays it as a very straight sad-sack and is a terrific foil to the neurotic Emma Thomson and the free-spirited Maggie Gyllenhaal. Plus it's a whimsical, dark comedy instead of the usual sophomoric physical comedy.



What about you?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rolling Stones usually bore me to tears.

But "Paint it Black" is an awesome song. And "Satisfaction" isn't bad either. The rest of their catalog could disappear from the planet tomorrow and I'd be fine with it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Carrey - I can just about stomach him in the Mask, but everything else I've seen him in is just gulp

The exception being:
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" which was a brilliant film and really well acted by all concerned.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LRayZor wrote:
Jim Carrey - I can just about stomach him in the Mask, but everything else I've seen him in is just gulp

The exception being:
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" which was a brilliant film and really well acted by all concerned.


I was going to post this. I made the mistake of seeing Ace Ventura in the theater. Ever since I've avoided him like the plague except Eternal Sunshine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Loathe is far too strong a word.

But Georgia O'Keefe doesn't generally push my buttons.

This piece however, I really like a lot.


City Night
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
wmshub wrote:
The Rolling Stones usually bore me to tears.

But "Paint it Black" is an awesome song. And "Satisfaction" isn't bad either. The rest of their catalog could disappear from the planet tomorrow and I'd be fine with it.


You can't always get what you want


And, apparently, he doesn't even get what he needs.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, loath is probably too strong, but I've never been a fan of Taylor Swift - even, at the same time, recognizing her considerable talent. However, I do enjoy "I Knew You Were Trouble," because it lays open some raw emotion, as she blames herself for not trusting her own instincts. So, it's very unusual for the standard pop you hear nowadays.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
As mentioned above, loath is probably too strong, but I've never been a fan of Taylor Swift - even, at the same time, recognizing her considerable talent. However, I do enjoy "I Knew You Were Trouble," because it lays open some raw emotion, as she blames herself for not trusting her own instincts. So, it's very unusual for the standard pop you hear nowadays.


I loathe her, but it's not her fault. It's the coach at my old gym who played the same 5 songs from her over and over again for months. She finally stopped when I threatened to quit the gym over it. I'm not joking.

With that said, her song "Safe and Sound" from The Hunger Games soundtrack is pretty good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stretching the definition of "artist" here (and possibly putting Stormseeker in a rage), but I really don't like professional wrestling. However, I enjoy the shit out of Mankind. I watched the infamous Hell in the Cell match and thought that was the most insane thing I've ever seen. I mean, his freakin' tooth was lodged in his nostril!

I even read his first book, but that's because as much as I dislike professional wrestling, I love what's behind-the-scenes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Will Ferrell's performance as Franz Liebkind in the 2005 remake of The Producers was waaaaay above par for him. It is the only time that I have ever been convinced to watch something with him in it and not cringe every time he opened his pie hole.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a real hip-hop fan. But "Kick Push" by Lupe Fiasco is a really cool tune.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no definitive work, but his early stuff was good and he kicked out a couple solid works later on when he cared. But when he didn't? Holy sweet mother of God, Adam Sandler. Screw it, The Wedding Signer. He's never topping that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
There's no definitive work, but his early stuff was good and he kicked out a couple solid works later on when he cared. But when he didn't? Holy sweet mother of God, Adam Sandler. Screw it, The Wedding Signer. He's never topping that.


I personally go with Happy Gilmore with an honorable mention to Punch Drunk Love.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Will Ferrell's performance as Franz Liebkind in the 2005 remake of The Producers was waaaaay above par for him. It is the only time that I have ever been convinced to watch something with him in it and not cringe every time he opened his pie hole.


I couldn't stand it. They should've stuck with the guy from the original Broadway cast.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Csigs wrote:


For me: I absolutely can't stand Will Farrell. It's just that overgrown moronic man-child in every movie. Oh look, now he's an elf! Now he's a figure skater! Now he owns a basketball team! Blech.

Except ... Stranger than Fiction Everything Must Go. I absolutely adore this movie even though Will Farrell is in it. Probably because he's not playing that same annoying character.


FTFY

Seriously, Everything Must Go is an excellent movie. Ferrell plays an alcoholic who loses his job and comes home to find out that his wife has kicked him out of the house, along with all his stuff. He proceeds to have a week-long garage sale while basically living on the front lawn. It is completely against type for Ferrell, and his performance is absolutely top-notch.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
matthean wrote:
There's no definitive work, but his early stuff was good and he kicked out a couple solid works later on when he cared. But when he didn't? Holy sweet mother of God, Adam Sandler. Screw it, The Wedding Signer. He's never topping that.


I personally go with Happy Gilmore with an honorable mention to Punch Drunk Love.


I loathed his character in Punch Drunk Love. I enjoyed Reign Over Me more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Csigs wrote:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and while, am I right? What's one work from an artist you usually loath that, for whatever reason just hits your sweet spot?

For me: I absolutely can't stand Will Farrell. It's just that overgrown moronic man-child in every movie. Oh look, now he's an elf! Now he's a figure skater! Now he owns a basketball team! Blech.

Except ... Stranger than Fiction. I absolutely adore this movie even though Will Farrell is in it. Probably because he's not playing that same annoying character. He plays it as a very straight sad-sack and is a terrific foil to the neurotic Emma Thomson and the free-spirited Maggie Gyllenhaal. Plus it's a whimsical, dark comedy instead of the usual sophomoric physical comedy.

What about you?


He's also good in The LEGO Movie.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Gotta say I loved Anchorman. Some top 'taches in that one. Anchorman, 50% of the time it works every time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.