Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Confusion of 1st vs 2nd rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My concerns are whether the 2nd edition will be able to play as the first edition in regards to the Keeper. Can a person still play as the keeper in the second edition, or has the role been completely eliminated by the companion app? I liked the idea of being able to have this game a co-op game AND a competitive game.

Typically a second edition is the first edition with more features. Unless the collective idea is that nobody likes playing the Keeper, haha. Haven't played this game, but I was about to purchase the 1st edition, but it disappeared off the shelves. And I assume it's going to be very difficult to own. It seems like FFG wants to eliminate the Keeper role, period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From all I have read the (human) keeper has been replaced by the app.

Since, 1 and 2 will combine, I imagine there will be a big demand for the 1st ed. as new comers scramble to complete a collection of mini's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From this article https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/25/mansion...

What’s new in the Second Edition?
Mansions of Madness Second Edition is now guided by a companion app that removes the need for a Keeper player, makes for a fully cooperative game, allows for single player gaming, and makes setup quick and easy.

Can I play the game without the app?
No. Because the app is in integral part of gameplay, and generates each scenario and all of the game’s tiles and events, you cannot play Mansions of Madness Second Edition without the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
SerenityIV wrote:
Typically a second edition is the first edition with more features.

I'm not sure if this is a difference between what FFG consider a "2nd Edition" and what everyone else considers a 2nd Edition (the use of the term by FFG does seem to often cause offence to a lot of people), but with FFG, a second edition normally constitutes a completely different game (just re-using the same theme and some of the same broad concepts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
SerenityIV wrote:

I'm not sure if this is a difference between what FFG consider a "2nd Edition" and what everyone else considers a 2nd Edition (the use of the term by FFG does seem to often cause offence to a lot of people), but with FFG, a second edition normally constitutes a completely different game (just re-using the same theme and some of the same broad concepts).

A precedent they started (to my knowledge) when they grafted Puerto Rico into Twilight Imperium 3.

That aside, there are two elements to Serenity's statement that strike me as off:

1) Like Chris said, I'm not really sure I can think of any great example of a 2nd edition offering all that came before and more. In video games, the trend has been to reinvent, simplify or outright remove mechanics (see Bethesda Studio's Elder Scrolls series, or that abomination they call Fallout). In board games -- well, reprints and rethemes are common, but outright new editions (within the auspices of the same publisher) are a bit more rare. FFG is probably at the top of the list, and their pattern has been one of reinvention.

2) The implication is you're getting less in "the box" than you did in the 1e, which I don't think is true. Perhaps it holds in a literal point of view -- the app, after all, isn't in the box. However, when you take the product as a whole, the app's endless permutability is like 1,000 official expansions, and more. We have yet to see just how variable these variations feel in practice, but I'm not ready to chafe at the cost:value ratio. In fact, a game like this could have come out a few years ago with 4~5 static scenarios in the box and netted a retail of $60 without any derision from fans. Yet, after those scenarios were consumed, you'd be on the hook for more content (and even if you weren't done with all the scenarios, the few you already played were spoiled, in a sense).

So is "endless" permutability of scenarios worth the extra $20? Umm.. Yeah. Not just due to the variation, but the fact the app will likely be able to add future expansion content to the original scenarios, making them fresh again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I REALLY like the idea of future expansion possibilities with the app and hope FGG is thinking in those terms. Excellent feedback, and I agree with you completely! I'm newer to the tabletop hobby within the past year and am loving every minute of it. So, it makes sense that different companies have differing opinions on what a 2nd edition means. I am very excited to see how this 2nd edition does because I was highly interested in the first edition. Being introduced to the 2nd edition, while different, may not be all that bad. The artwork, for one, looks amazing in the new edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
Will the 2nd edition be compatible with all the 1st edition expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kesavanss wrote:

What do you mean, "compatible"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kesavanss wrote:

No. The 2nd edition is a stand alone game. You will be able to incorporate the miniatures and tiles and that's it. Everything else from the 1st edition cannot be used with the 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Trayers
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SerenityIV wrote:

A first edition with more features is an expansion. A second edition should be a reimplementation of the basic idea.

It's hard to get MoM to the table when there's such an abundance of Mythos games out there, some of which can be played before MoM is even set up.

I also always found the Keeper role a little out of character for Lovecraftian stories. His fiction describes a mad, impersonal, indifferent universe. So I've been working on a variant to automate the Keeper role in the manner of other co-ops. If the app does this better, it might rescue my 1st ed. and Call of the Wild expansion from the trade pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I do wonder if, in the future, you could have a Keeper who basically "ran" the app - moved the monsters around and was prompted at various points to pick what effect occurred or so on? I can see it happening if there's really demand for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
I do wonder if, in the future, you could have a Keeper who basically "ran" the app - moved the monsters around and was prompted at various points to pick what effect occurred or so on? I can see it happening if there's really demand for it.

You will most surelly be able to do it already. Why anyone would want to play such a boring part in the game, I can't imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Konrad
msg tools
Flaviorbs wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

You will most surelly be able to do it already. Why anyone would want to play such a boring part in the game, I can't imagine.

Can you confirm this? This is the first time I heard that someone can control the app

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelus343 wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

Can you confirm this? This is the first time I heard that someone can control the app

One person handles the app, reads the text for the players, lays out tiles and tokens. Other players tell him what they want to do and the 'keeper of the app' selects the appropriate things and reads the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
SerenityIV wrote:
I liked the idea of being able to have this game a co-op game AND a competitive game.

If one already owns 1st edition it is just that: a Co-op or a competitive game, as 2nd edition doesn't disqualify you from playing 1st edition (although to hear some people talk you could be forgiven for thinking it does).

Unfortunately, if you don't already have 1st edition and don't have money to burn you have to choose one or the other: and most, of course, will choose the current version rather than the discontinued version. As would I in their situation. But if one does have money to burn: I think buying the actual 1st edition game and expansions is a much better option than the figure and tile sets for the above reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.