Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maycent Y
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, need your help in this. My friends and I were deciding what is the format for the skill icons for our game. This is the situation:

We have at most 2 skills per character, i.e. some character has 1 skill, some has 2.

As for the icons, my friends insisted that there be 2 icons for all characters and if they only have 1 skill, one of the icon shall be the skill icon while the other icon be blacked out or blank. (for consistency of the artwork)

However, i think it is quite silly, because the blacked out or blank icon could confuse new players to think that it represent something. My take is that if the character has only 1 skill, why not just have 1 skill icon only? (for logic and lesser probability of misleading)

What do you guys think??
Poll
Would you have:
one skill represented by two icons, one blank icon and one skill icon.
one skill represented by one skill icon only.
      49 answers
Poll created by maycent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, I would say stick to showing icons only if it's used to represent something present.

I would include a "blank" icon only if it's to be used as a placeholder for something to fill that spot during the game, such as if there is a marker of some kind that fits in that spot if the character gains a new skill. But then those blank slots would indicate the max number of skill slots the character can have.

Having maximums is OK if that's necessary for balance in the game. But I'd suggest to not lock down your game that way if it's not needed. That gives you more flexibility if there is anything that could ever increase the character to more than 2 skills, such as in an expansion, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I think two icons for one skill could be confusing or at the least cluttered. 1 skill = 1 icon makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maycent Y
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, thanks for the reply. Im afraid my explanation may not be clear enought thouo i appreciate your comments. Please take a look at my newer post for a better picture with our card images.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23296519#23296519

Thanks !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. One icon for one skill. Strip out EVERYTHING you don't absolutely need. Keep it lean and mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.