Subject: Suggestions for a non-gamer mom who loves Ingenious rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello.

I've been trying to get mom into board games and I have succeed ! I bought two board games to play with her, one is Patchwork and the other is Ingenious. I tried Patchwork with her first, I thought she would love it especially with the theme and all since she used to be a tailor. She liked it but she didn't love it, she doesn't ask me to play it with her.

Next, I tried Ingenious with her. At first she was frustrated because the original scoreboards made it a bit difficult to score for both of us. So, I printed these: ingenious score sheets.xls and thankfully we were able to play without distractions. She still had trouble keeping up with the scores until she figured out a way. She started writing down numbers instead of circles and that's how she began winning more frequently. It's unrelated but I thought it could help others.

She says that the reason she loves Ingenious more is because it keeps her on the edge while Patchwork is more relaxing. Now she keeps asking me to play Ingenious with her everyday. It sure make me happy ! She also loves Sudoku, I taught her how to do Sudoku a long time ago. I think she likes thinky and on-the-edge games, she doesn't care much for themes and too much rules may be too much for her. Any suggestions please? I would really appreciate it!

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keltis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle
Hive
Lost Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Perhaps Samurai? Same designer, also involves tile-laying but with a focus on area majority, simple rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolling America might have some appeal for her, it has a 'math puzzle' feel to it, cheap to try anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll be looking into them. I was already thinking of checking the designer's other games since she liked the game so much. I found this one too: Through the Desert. What do you think about it? Think mom would like it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus-Gunther Herzog
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nadigames93 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll be looking into them. I was already thinking of checking the designer's other games since she liked the game so much. I found this one too: Through the Desert. What do you think about it? Think mom would like it?

Definitely. And if you want to explore Reiner Knizia then Battle Line is a must. Don't let the "military" theme deter you... the biggest fans that I introduced this to are a couple of librarians (female) running a game day for the local public library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PlowStr8 wrote:
nadigames93 wrote:

Definitely. And if you want to explore Reiner Knizia then Battle Line is a must. Don't let the "military" theme deter you... the biggest fans that I introduced this to are a couple of librarians (female) running a game day for the local public library.

AKA Schotten Totten (without the special cards), which can be played with a Rage deck

Games playable with Rage deck (not the CCG) - please add!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Through the Desert

Also check out Tantrix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
I'd like to thank skutsch and plezercruz for half-inspiring this color-coordinated geekbadge.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb

Splendor

Game is short, puzzle-y, and has attractive pieces, nice gateway game.

Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Through the Desert is supposed to be a good gateway-type abstract game. Here's some more:

Hey, That's My Fish!
Blokus
Tsuro
Qwirkle
FITS
Ubongo
Hive
Indigo
Blokus 3D
Samurai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for answering my question and for further suggestions! I appreciate it. While I was indeed looking for abstract board games for my mom, if I had to take a risk and buy board games that aren't abstract, what would you suggest? I was thinking of buying Jaipur (if I do manage to buy it somewhere) but I'm not sure.

BTW I have Battle Line! I don't get much opportunity to play it but I like it so far! I was in fact wondering if I should teach it to mom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
YINSH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:

Also TZAAR, DVONN, and ZÈRTZ

Taluva could be worth a shot.

Maybe Arboretum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus-Gunther Herzog
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nadigames93 wrote:
Thank you for answering my question and for further suggestions! I appreciate it. While I was indeed looking for abstract board games for my mom, if I had to take a risk and buy board games that aren't abstract, what would you suggest? I was thinking of buying Jaipur (if I do manage to buy it somewhere) but I'm not sure.

BTW I have Battle Line! I don't get much opportunity to play it but I like it so far! I was in fact wondering if I should teach it to mom.

I just got done recommending Knizia's masterpiece in another thread, and got to thinking, hmm, why didn't I recommend it here? While some (most?) would say it's theme is "pasted-on", Tigris & Euphrates feels very thematic to me (and I'm not alone).

Heck, if I had to choose only ONE game to play, period, it would be Tigris & Euphrates. Okay maybe Steam. Or Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. Crap! Getting myself in trouble with absolutes again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United Kingdom
Swindon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

Qwirkle or Latice are worth checking out as they play very similar and have the same sort of 'feel' as Ingenious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Blokus, Hive, Samurai, Splendid, Lost Cities, and Hey, That's My Fish.

Also:

Between Two Cities, which has solitaire and 2-player rules.

Prosperity

Mr. Jack Pocket

Akrotiri

Samurai: The Card Game -- an excellent alternative to Samurai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.