Subject: Powerful Network Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
I wish I felt the Network cards were more balanced. I understand that some will be better than others, and that makes for interesting strategy choices.

However, when a Network card comes out and every player is obviously going to grab that card if they can, I would argue that the card is overpowered and out of balance.

On that list, I would include:

- Budget Overrun - all other players must pay your Show and Stars total upkeep costs. Thus, in a four-player game, where you owe (let's say) $6 in Star and Show costs, you have just taken $18 out of the available pool of spendable cash for the other players. My, that's a lot of power. Yes, you still have to pay your own costs. I know; I still think it's overpowered.

- All end-game scoring cards (Awards Show, Good Branding, Big Game). Why would I not take any of these the first chance I get?

- Preempted Time Slot - for the rest of the game, I can take a turn and then immediately Drop and Budget. Thus, I've gone a long way towards ensuring I'll get lots and lots of money while not losing game actions. Round after round. I don't understand why this card is not one-use.

This is one of my top-ten favorite games of all time, mind you. I adore it. That's why I'm being nit-picky about these few items that stand out for me as problematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Heath
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think The Networks is all about being torn between a lot of choices that would be perfect for you, and trying to work out what you can risk leaving out there for the other vultures players hoping they'll still be there for your next turn. With this in mind, I feel like the end game bonus cards are put on a level with say the only sitcom that came out this round that would give you your genre bonus.

With the time slot card, you're only passing one turn sooner than you would have anyway, and in our games the person with that power is still sometimes the one passing last because too much good stuff is needed from the board

It might be situational too - the time slot card coming out at the start of the game will lead to a much bigger rush than in the last round, and the card that gets you extra viewers for re-runs (I forget the name) is a must have for me if it comes out at the start when I'm definitely going to be getting rid of the 0 viewer shows anyway.

I can't really speak for the Budget Overrun though, the interactive cards are destined to stay in the bag they were put in when I opened the game I'm afraid (although that's another huge positive for the game, they're easily removed and don't affect the quality of the game at all by not being there)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could impose a limit of one end game score card per player if you wanted. If you take another later, you first is discarded, thus you probably wasted the action the for the first card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.