Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt v
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry if this is explicitly stated somewhere (I'm still learning the rules), but when moving, do you only have one opportunity to play your movement cards per turn? For example, say I play 3 cards for 5 movement points, I move to one blank space hex (-2 movement) at the edge of the board, and then decide to explore a new tile (-2 movement). With only 1 movement point remaining, can I choose to play an additional movement card in order to acquire enough movement points to move onto the new tile? The walkthrough provided a situation similar to this, but they only stated that I cannot choose to add a data chip to a played card to increase my movement points. I did not say anything about playing new cards.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jones
United States
Lagrange
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, you can play move cards at any time during your movement phase, before, during or after you move or explore, as many times as you like.

Walkthrough, page 9, under "Continuing Movement" explicitly allows this after exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, thank you. Just trying to wrap my head around the mechanics. SO far, they aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jones
United States
Lagrange
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree, it's not really as bad as all that. The main problem is just that there are so many rules to keep track of, but I find them to be all fairly intuitive. Once you have one or two runs of First Recon under your belt, it all makes sense.
If you haven't seen it already, check out Ricky Royal's runthrough of Frontiers. His Mage Knight videos are considered the gold standard of explaining how that game works, and the Frontiers episodes are no different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-VriqT67q4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hill
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I second the post above. I have watched his videos a couple of times to verify I was doing things correctly. It is well worth the time. I watched them once before I played, then again after. Extremely helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep. I watched both of his videos before diving into the walkthrough. It made it easier going into the game with some knowledge of the mechanics. And like you said, while there are many rules, they are intuitive.

However, I have one more question. What do the two data icons on the player's ship card represent? In his video, he starts each ship with those two crystals, which makes sense, but I cannot seem to find that rule in the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny O
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Those icons are not for the player's use, but instead for use when playing solo or co-op with a dummy player. The dummy player's ship card gets those tokens as a way of randomizing the number of turns that it will take to get through the deck, which is the non-dummy players' limiting timer. Basically, in any game without the dummy player, those data symbols are entirely unimportant.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a quick question concerning movement, too. I'm kinda stuck at the moment.^^

Do I have to use all the movement points I generated? Or may I use them up to that number?

Let's say, I wanted to move more quickly and generated 4 Movement Points (powered a move card with a data token) at the edge of a tile, and used 2 of them to explore a new tile. Then I notice, that I cannot move any further on that new tile because of an enemy token, which blocks me and I cannot go anywhere else without provoking another enemy, etc.

Can I choose, not to use these 2 movement points, which I generated? Or do I have to use them?

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Kickstarter - February 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
You are never required to use up all of your Move Points, Diplomacy Points, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.