$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Orestis Athanassiadis-Vassilogamvros
msg tools
Soooo, dug this out after a few years and ran into a few problems after a couple playthroughs that need clarifications. whistle

1) The infamous problem (as I saw in a couple other posts) with the stealing another player's treasure while in a dagger spot thing. I saw some posts here where players said it's okay to do so since rules state "If you happen to land on an Adventurer with Treasure, you may steal one piece from him". However, White Dagger Rules state: "Stop when you reach a White Dagger, even if you have not finished your die count. Immediately (on the same turn)look up the hazard and follow the instructions to cross it". Based on those 2 rules we agreed upon NOT BEING ABLE to steal on daggers unless you land on the spot with an exact die roll because if you choose to end your roll on a dagger that means you must attempt to pass the hazard... but we are not 100% sure. What do you guys do on this case?

2) Since we are talking white daggers, the "Stop when you reach a White Dagger, even if you have not finished your die count" part sounds imperative, like you don't have a choice on that matter (same goes for black daggers as well). However, we play it as if it is OPTIONAL. You can either pass through a dagger, land on it with your roll OR stop your roll there and fight / try to cross the hazard. As other players have already said, it sounds silly having to fight a monster when there is no treasure anymore or crossing a hazard which you don't want to...

3)... which brings us to the next problem. The daggers-are-not-mandatory rule we agreed upon works fine if passing through, however sometimes it conflicts with other rules.

Example 1: Pit of snakes is impossible to pass through, since it's an one-way road. You either continune through the pit or there's nowhere else to go. So lets say we have the following scenario:

Player 2 just got rid of his cobra and player 1 knows he has the key and one treasure to end the game, so he is currently trying to steal from him. It is player 1 turn. Options are: Roll 1, tough luck. Roll 2, great, you go to player 2 spot, steal, roll again, leave. Roll 3-8. You can go the opposite way, away from player 2, or go to the snake pit and try to pass it. We assume you CANNOT go to the pit and NOT try to pass it and think we are correct (are we?). HOWEVER, if one TRIES to pass it and FAILS, in which case rules say you can "escape to EITHER white dagger" what happens? They DO end in the same spot. And in general, what happens if 2 players land on the same space after a hazard? Can one steal from another that way? (Currently we are settled at NO).

Example 2 (the trololol king):

There DO exist MANY spots in the game where the meme king is closer to a hazard than the number on his spot. In the picture above, if you have passed the bridge with the mising planks at the bottom last turn and on your turn you roll a 2, then what? You cannot "go in the other direction" as the rules state. You cannot pass. Are you FORCED to go over the hazard again (trololol) or you can simply not move? We are trolololing for the time being, but it seems harsh devil. This king problem in essence brings us back to the original problem anyway, which is, are we forced to pass a hazard if it is an impass and we can't use our full die roll?

Thanks a lot if you made it this far and I hope you have answers for me, or at least if you are not sure yourselves please share what your agreed upon rules are for that stuff. Intrigued to see what other people do. Great game though, having a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dual South
msg tools
Hello fellow adventurer, I felt obligated to reply to your post after playing (one of the longest) and most difficult games of KTTK I have every played.

We played a full game with 6 players,(which in theory seems like the game would move faster) as their are more players to complete dungeons. Contrary to that belief, it took MUCH longer than it should have. Not only that, but one of the new players continued to open up the board (the side with the start/finish) and continued to do that until most of us decided to throw in the towel.. surprise

Nevertheless we ran into multiple rule issues (as we always do) so i figured I would just add my 2 cents, in hopes to find the best (and quickest) way to complete the game.

Firstly.. Like your post originally states, we do not allow treasures to be stolen on white daggers, only normal spaces.. I feel though this allowing this rule MIGHT speed the game up if treasure to be stolen at the end of a hazard.

IE: if someone receives the ice palace treasure, and proceeds to cross the ice caves or boar pit, a player who is coming from the ice palace as well is more enticed to cross (and possibly fail the hazard) in order to snag the treasure.

Stealing treasure is probably the most prevalent rule flaw.. although their are some board features that are just as annoying..

1. Can players enter the whirlpool from the few spaces after the Swamp.. or is the only way by passing the spiders.

2. Once the board is flipped (opened) are the whirlpool spaces a space? like the one between well of doom and bridge of glass.

3. If you fail a monster card and it says role and move away, can someone re-enter the dungeon on that role.. IE; you lose at the ice palace but the exit is only 5 spaces from the next arrow....

4. Can you enter a dungeon that has been passed already.... temple of martyrs in the main one in question... the other ones don't hold to much of an advantage by doing that..

5. As cool as the whirlpools are. Whenever someone enters one, the whole turn mix up to get off the board or get into the whirlpool is quite annoying.

6. Lastly for dungeons... we have decided you can either give up 1 card immediately.. or choose to stay and role the 1 or the 8.. the whole 3 tries and then lose a card seems like a flawed system...

Would love to hear what your take is on these.. game has so much potential but execution and lack of clarification keeps it off my game table for long periods of time...

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orestis Athanassiadis-Vassilogamvros
msg tools
Sorry for the late answer and I hope I'm helpful even if somewhat late:

1)Swamp and spiders. Every whirlpool has 2 entrances.

2)Yes they count as a space but still whirlpools.

3)No you can't reenter and reattempt at the same turn. You must run away from the black dagger and expend your full roll.

4)Yes, you still fight a monster though.

5)Not a real question but whirlpools are evil angry

6)Dungeons are indeed ultra harsh. What you do isn't in the rules, but if that fits your style and works for you then do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.