10 Posts

Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: Production values vs Mage Knight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Goodman
Canada
flag msg tools
How do Mage Knight's production values compare to Mage Knight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked what I saw. Cards very clean, smooth finish on them. Minis were okay and detailed similarly to what you would see in Attack Wing / Tactics.

The data tokens were average, but certainly not bad and nothing to really complain about. The dice were okay as well. All the art was crisp and clear (of the few cards I saw.)

I was waiting to buy this one just to see how the quality was, and after playing a game of a friend's copy, I want it in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt v
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some people complain about the card quality, but I think they are nice. Similar to what you get in GMT Games. I was never a huge fan of the "linen" cards because the color rubs off faster compared to other card types. Granted, I don't sleeve my cards..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibkevg wrote:
How do Mage Knight's production values compare to Mage Knight?

They're exactly the same. 100% identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But I mean...did you actually check to make sure???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:
The data tokens were average, but certainly not bad and nothing to really complain about. The dice were okay as well. All the art was crisp and clear (of the few cards I saw.)

In general the quality is on par with MK or slightly better, but I would take issue with these two things. Specifcally, the data crystals are smaller and lighter, and thus harder to handle (they're harder to pick up from the pile and more prone to being accidentally shoved around), and in general feel way cheaper than the MK tokens. And the art was nice for screenshots, but not particularly inspired. However, the most egregious mistake is on the unit cards: with dark logos on a black background it's very difficult to tell from any distance where a unit can be recruited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else had issues with cutting?

My space tiles are all cut off centre, with many numbers cut in half or even missing and therefore the stars and circles don't match up properly either...also the little ship tokens also, with white showing around the edge and the ship being off-centre.

Do you think they'll replace them?

Russ

Oh, and the box quality is garbage :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have this issue!
The ship tokens and the away team tokens are all not centred, which isn't too bad, the main issue is with the space tiles, where only the very top of the number is showing and the circles/stars don't match nicely.
I have no idea if they'll replace them :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KiLLeR_AP wrote:
I also have this issue!
The ship tokens and the away team tokens are all not centred, which isn't too bad, the main issue is with the space tiles, where only the very top of the number is showing and the circles/stars don't match nicely.
I have no idea if they'll replace them :/

I have my own store which is where I bought my copy from. I emailed my distributor and they are trying to source replacements for me, so you should be able to get them. Try your retailer first perhaps, and then try wiz kids if your retailer can't/won't help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very very similar production quality.

Star Trek has better dice. Mage Knight has better miniatures. The cards are different, but similar in quality. The tokens are very similar; I prefer the Star Trek enemies, but don't like the larger tokens for marking space ownership etc. Mage Knight has better energy crystals (and why call it "data" in Star Trek??).

Mage Knight also has slightly more streamlined gameplay, but slightly more different encounter sites. I'm really not a fan of the "undiscovered cards" name; what's "undiscovered" about a card you can see and pick up? And the icons for crew, showing who can be recruited where, are awful - far too dark. If I'm allowed to nitpick, the "terrain" isn't as clear either, and the yellow data dice symbol is a very different yellow to the cards.

Overall though, SF:Frontiers isn't Mage Knight 2.0; it is more like Mage Knight 1.05. Which is no bad thing. Forced to choose between them, I'd say "pick the theme you most like, but the Star Trek theme is pretty thin. Still can't decide? Pick Star Trek, it's just a tiny bit cleaner". But if you own Mage Knight, those tiny improvements aren't worth the cost of a cup of coffee, far less the cost of rebuying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.