Kurt Armbruster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I got tired of the baggies and went way overboard making an insert for Spirits of the Rice Paddy.

I spent about 2 days designing, cutting and gluing all of the components together. Everything fits in the box (barely), and everything has a place.

I designed it for fast start and clean-up. The 4 "starter" trays have everything required for the game start, 20 meeples, 6 livestock, 4 rocks, 2 fences, 1 gate and a plant. No more pouring out the baggies and counting. We can get started right away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VERY nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollie Olson
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not overboard, it is perfectly acceptable and almost expected. But in all seriousness nicely done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I need to do!

Problem is, I've never done an insert- Is there a possiblity I could wheedle dimensions, materials and so forth out of you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Armbruster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
GF
Pm me early next week, I have a spreadsheet with all of the dimensions categorized by each segment/tray.

Or better yet, I will try loading it into the files section for anyone to use!

Keep your eyes there early next week.

There are a few lessons learned from this design I will change in the spreadsheet (ie: the coin tray doesn't need to be doubled up o seat in insert. They are a very tight faith as is, and as a single insert, the extra 10 mm is space that is greatly needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be awesome because it really is a very nice set of trays! I can't be the only one who would like to make a set for themselves.

Edit: I especially like the player trays that make set up almost instant- that's a brilliant idea! thumbsup heart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Armbruster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Submitted the pdf file moments ago. Keep an eye on the files section once it gets posted.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/149119/spirits-rice-paddy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurteh wrote:
Submitted the pdf file moments ago. Keep an eye on the files section once it gets posted.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/149119/spirits-rice-paddy...

Awesome, thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Armbruster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
The file is online now:

Detailed dimensions and plans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurteh wrote:
The file is online now:

Detailed dimensions and plans

yay! I have tomorrow off so I'll try making it tonight and tomorrow

Edit: I have to ask- what do you do for a living? And what kind of ruler do you have that measures 1/10 of a mm? I have one that is mm... but lower than that, I'm guessing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Armbruster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I am a geologist by training, and a stay at home dad by circumstance.

When building, I used a combination of inches and metric measurements. If the mm doesn't make sense check the inches side. The weird numbers come from the conversions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! laugh

Ok, I had visions of you being an engineer with micromitons and so on. I mean, there's precision and then there's PRECISION!

So far it's working pretty well- if I could only cut a bit straighter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Armbruster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Uploading a new v2 file with plan sketches and dimensions (yes in both mm and inches). Keep an eye out for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That will be also helpful! I've mostly been going on measurements + pictures + fitting it into my box

Something else that will be helpful for someone in the future is some side pictures... and what is this underbase for the disks? What is it and where does it go and how does it fit in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Armbruster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I've eliminated the box within a box for the discs (it gives more room for them). The box within a box is just too tight.

So, in the end we have a 2 3/4" by 11 1/4" tray (with 61mm high walls) that has subdivisions to fit the discs.

If you want to be really fancy, you could build mini-platforms within each of the subdivisions so that all the discs are at the same height, but that's more math than I want to do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Armbruster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
The new version with insert measurements and the pictures is now online at the same link as above.

Enjoy the build!

I hope it is quicker than the two days it took me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great file- it really helps to see where you used inches and where you used mm

However, it will be useful for others because I finished mine yesterday and just had to let the clue cure overnight. To do the coin tray, I wrapped the coins in wax paper and set the partitions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Armbruster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Good idea for the disc tray!

I can't wait to see pictures of your version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurteh wrote:
Good idea for the disc tray!

I can't wait to see pictures of your version.

Pictures!

Not as nice as yours but it will work well enough! Thanks for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Armbruster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.Fatah B.Alwee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good evening all,

Tried doing one, just for sharing this is my version - component boxes and inserts for one of those fantastic game Spirit of the Rice Paddy.

1) Getting the dimension and mark out accordingly. On the right a complete component box.

2) Complete and ready. 2 component boxes and inserts fill with components.

3) Test out. Both component boxes fit nicely into the base game box.

4) To add some flavor. I scan and printed out the artwork of the game. Laminated and pasted on the box cover.

5) Fit perfectly well.

6) Stored nicely in together the rulebooks and etc

Thank you everyone, for taking your time looking thru my humble component box and inserts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.