Subject: best expansion to start with? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,guys.
buying the core game today...and have enough money to get one expansion.which is the best to get after the core game?,prefer actual game expansion as opposed to just extra mini packs..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
since they are to be played in order for story reasons, I'd go with Operation Strikeback (also, the expansions add quite a few rules and such, so introducing things gradually is probably the smart move).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core game doesn't really have any expansions that add extra content other than the Elite Alien Army, which adds harder versions of all the aliens in the core game.

That may sound weird as there are 2 big box expansions called Operation Strikeback and Extinction Protocol. The thing about these big box expansions is that they mainly continue the campaign that you hopefully finished in the core box.

That being said, there are elements of the expansions that you can add back into the core game like combat poses and some extra equipment, skills and tactics I think. But mainly, these expansions are probably best played as stand alone campaigns that use core box components.

Hopefully, I got my point across and it makes sense. By no means, am I saying don't get the 2 big box expansions. Just don't expect them to add all that much to the core campaign. They are campaigns unto themselves.

There is a story arc through the three boxes starting with the core box, then Operation Strikeback and completing the story in Extinction Protocol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what about the 5th Column expansion? Is that worth getting to. add to core box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO the only thing not worth adding are the red elite aliens. The game is hard enough as is / can be made harder with additional rules as well.

However, considering bang for your buck the two main expansions are probably best. I'd start with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.