Hide
23 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Can it be played without the app ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Honeycutt
msg tools
Just wondering cause I was waiting on reprint or hoping on reprint maybe just combine the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, on version 2 working without the app.

You are right, 2nd ed. comes with a kit to allow you to use the Mini's and room tiles in 2nd ed.. Of course, if you wanted 2nd ed. mini's and room tiles could be used in 1st. ed. with the keeper rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has made it clear on their website the app is mandatory. This game is for 1-5 players all playing investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
FFG has made it clear on their website the app is mandatory. This game is for 1-5 players all playing investigators.

If people only took the time to read the article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thearkhammonk wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:

I know... My BGG notifications are exploding with MoM threads, most of them asking questions about obvious things from the article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
thearkhammonk wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:

I know... My BGG notifications are exploding with MoM threads, most of them asking questions about obvious things from the article.

Yeah, it's kind of hilarious at this point. Not only is nobody reading the articles, but they're also apparently not reading the many BGG threads that have already been started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It bothers me that this game is retailing for close to $100 even WITH a good portion of the game being digital, which should be cheaper than printed materials. The photos of the content looks pretty sparse so far, unless we still haven't seen the vast majority of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider that the price of the game will be taking development costs of the app into account. The app almost certainly costs more to produce than a scenario booklet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Consider that the price of the game will be taking development costs of the app into account. The app almost certainly costs more to produce than a scenario booklet.

I would agree with you, except for the fact that FFG just released their Road to Legend app for Descent for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
lumin wrote:
Sarcasmorator wrote:

I would agree with you, except for the fact that FFG just released their Road to Legend app for Descent for free.

But they have a plan to make that pay off - it's already boosted sales of Descent expansions, and even the core game (because it can be played solo or full co-op) so it's making money that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lumin wrote:

Yes, for free, after several years of strong sales and many products, which the app appears to have boosted sales of if the sudden spike in interest is any indication (I haven't seen the Descent boards this active in some time). The costs of a then-nonexistent app weren't folded into the production costs of D2E, and the app is not required to play it at all. Very different breakdown of costs. MOM2+App has to pay its own way from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
lumin wrote:

Yes, for free, after several years of strong sales and many products, which the app appears to have boosted sales of if the sudden spike in interest is any indication (I haven't seen the Descent boards this active in some time). The costs of a then-nonexistent app weren't folded into the production costs of D2E, and the app is not required to play it at all. Very different breakdown of costs. MOM2+App has to pay its own way from the start.

I don't think it has anything to do with that. I would say that a minuscule portion of that $100 retail price comes from the app, if any at all.

I just compared the two games on Amazon, and found the real difference. MoM2 comes in at 7 lbs ($100 retail) while Descent 2 comes in at 5.4 lbs ($80 retail). There's your extra $20: nearly 2 more lbs of content.

So I guess there is actually more content in this than D2. The pieces must just be meatier, even if there are less of them (that we've seen so far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lumin wrote:
It bothers me that this game is retailing for close to $100 even WITH a good portion of the game being digital, which should be cheaper than printed materials. The photos of the content looks pretty sparse so far, unless we still haven't seen the vast majority of it.

The contents of the box have been floating around other threads. Here it is for this one. It's no small amount of items.

2 rulebooks
24 tiles
8 investigators cards + 8 miniatures
40 item cards
24 unique item cards
30 spell cards
37 condition cards
40 damages cards
40 horror cards
24 monsters tokens + 24 miniatures
16 search tokens
16 exploration tokens
22 character tokens
4 barricade tokens
4 secret passage tokens
18 fire/darkness tokens
8 wall tokens
26 clue tokens
5 identification tokens.
5 dices.

+ conversion kit :
16 investigator cards
33 monsters tokens
4 characters tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lumin wrote:
I just compared the two games on Amazon, and found the real difference. MoM2 comes in at 7 lbs ($100 retail) while Descent 2 comes in at 5.4 lbs ($80 retail). There's your extra $20: nearly 2 more lbs of content.

Really don't think weight's factoring in here. Games aren't sold by weight, and FFG's other $100 games are more like Descent's weight. Don't underestimate just how much it costs to develop a multi-platform app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
lumin wrote:

If you're looking at the photo I think you're looking at, then I guess you must think the game comes with eight investigator minis but only two investigator sheets. And three room tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meh
United Kingdom
devon
flag msg tools
I can't be doing with apps and boardgames. If I play a board game it is to get away from ubiquitous computers to be honest. Put it all down for a minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
lumin wrote:

If you're looking at the photo I think you're looking at, then I guess you must think the game comes with eight investigator minis but only two investigator sheets. And three room tiles.

God damn you FFG! Three room tiles??? What mansion is this? It's madness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
thebaker1983 wrote:

The contents of the box have been floating around other threads. Here it is for this one. It's no small amount of items.

24 tiles

MoM 1st ed. - 15 tiles
MoM For. Alc. - 6 tiles
MoM Call of the Wild - 11 tiles
Total 1st edition tiles - 32.

Guys, we are getting a lot of times in the base 2nd edition box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
rob nawa wrote:
I can't be doing with apps and boardgames. If I play a board game it is to get away from ubiquitous computers to be honest. Put it all down for a minute.

That's fair enough. If I want to get away from screens I go for a walk or a run or down the pub or just turn them off and chat to friends, so I don't need board games as a crutch in the same way, but obviously for everyone it's different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
rob nawa wrote:

That's fair enough. If I want to get away from screens I go for a walk or a run or down the pub or just turn them off and chat to friends, so I don't need board games as a crutch in the same way, but obviously for everyone it's different.

That's a great point, though. Playing a board game seems like a lot of ceremony to go to just to... not look at a screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
rob nawa wrote:

yesss! let's go for a walk and catch some Pokémon laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meh
United Kingdom
devon
flag msg tools
Deano2099 wrote:
rob nawa wrote:

Ah don't get me wrong I live in a National Park I spend a lot of time outside on our 10 acres or longboarding, we have 3 horses, 2 dogs and a son (no money mind I earn about 8500 a year ), I am essentially outdoors a lot of my life but even so I have a smart phone I watch a few pootube videos at night and I work for an internet business. I can't even stand to go to the town let alone the city. Have no fear I get away from computers just fine

I more mean ubiquitous in everyones life not just my own. I have played videogames since space invaders and I just see board games a little differently that's all. Plenty of games for all tastes though ofc. I just won't be getting this, despite owning all of the 1st ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
rob nawa wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
rob nawa wrote:

Ah don't get me wrong I live in a National Park I spend a lot of time outside on our 10 acres or longboarding, we have 3 horses, 2 dogs and a son (no money mind I earn about 8500 a year ), I am essentially outdoors a lot of my life but even so I have a smart phone I watch a few pootube videos at night and I work for an internet business. I can't even stand to go to the town let alone the city. Have no fear I get away from computers just fine

I more mean ubiquitous in everyones life not just my own.

Why does how much other people do or don't use screens bother you whatsoever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.