Subject: Suggestion: CODENAMES CLASSROOM EDITION rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Gardner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had an idea for a classroom variation of Codenames that just involves 25 large (maybe 4"x6") blank magnetic word cards that you could arrange in a grid on a whiteboard or any other large vertical magnetic surface and then write your 25 words on them in wet/dry erase marker. Then have all of the spy markers as equally large magnets that you can just slap on top of the word cards to cover them up as you go. That way, you could play with a larger group of people (perhaps a classroom of kids? or a large youth group at a church?) and have people come up and touch the words of the agents (or bystanders) they're choosing to contact on the board, and the spymasters cover them with their stack of magnetic agent cards or bystander cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you could just write/draw the whole thing on the whiteboard and skip the magnets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lallatin
United States
John Day
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would still need the cards denoting which word goes to which team. Would you have the 2 clue givers sit together in the back of the room or would they both be at the board? I've played with a class of 10 (laying out the cards on a table), which worked out fine. I'm not sure about a class of 25 - 30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with a large group of people the main problem isn't being able to see the words (although that would be a problem too, which a white board might solve). The main problem is having effective and inclusive deliberation among that many people. You'll either never come to consensus or you'll have a group of students who just sit on the sidelines and don't get involved. Or both. Probably both.

Are you thinking of tweaking any other rules to deal with this issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gardner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Then have all of the spy markers as equally large magnets that you can just slap on top of the word cards to cover them up as you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d3jg wrote:
Quote:
Then have all of the spy markers as equally large magnets that you can just slap on top of the word cards to cover them up as you go.

Or you could just erase the words and write in whether it is netural, blue, or red ... even better if you have different color markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the average classroom in America now has a big screen display for a computer or soon will have. It really makes the most sense to have a digital version that you can project and you can change out the words to suit your classroom's keywords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d3jg wrote:
Quote:

Who is this a response to and why did you repeat it from your OP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it would be fun to have an extra large set (which each tile being 1 foot by 1 foot), but on the ground. Everyone would stand a few feet outside the square and toss red or blue beanbags on the guessed words (and hope you land on the word you wanted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally have this on my list of things to do next school year. I'm going to use it in calculus to help make those interesting connections between the material. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a projector or monitor...
http://ninjabunny.github.io/KodeNames/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool can you put your own words in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking it would be more fun to have the STUDENTS arranged in a grid and tell them whether or not they are on the blue or red team. They'd each get a word to hold up (probably on an individual whiteboard, as you suggested). Then two guessers go up to the front of the classroom and I, as the teacher, try to clue them in to which students are on their same team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Cool can you put your own words in it?

Many have asked for this feature, I will put it in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. To be useful for a teacher it would have to be based on our own word set. I do play Codenames with my students sometimes and I end of having to take out cards such as Czech. But being able to make a list that uses only words the kids know would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Great. To be useful for a teacher it would have to be based on our own word set. I do play Codenames with my students sometimes and I end of having to take out cards such as Czech. But being able to make a list that uses only words the kids know would be great.

Done. The words just have to be separated by spaces. eg: "cat dog mouse gippy"

have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.