Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

On the whaling board, does the "RETURN" area include the light blue shaded area immediately below the area that says, "RETURN" (i.e., the area to the right of the end of the dock, that contains the top printed row of "1st 2nd 3rd")?

Or IOW, is the Whaling Track six spaces, or seven?

The artwork suggests that the "RETURN" area is only the topmost light shaded box, with the word "RETURN" inside. But the rules suggest that it also includes the light shaded box directly underneath, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

On the whaling board, does the "RETURN" area include the light blue shaded area immediately below the area that says, "RETURN" (i.e., the area to the right of the end of the dock, that contains the top printed row of "1st 2nd 3rd")?

Or IOW, is the Whaling Track six spaces, or seven?

The artwork suggests that the "RETURN" area is only the topmost light shaded box, with the word "RETURN" inside. But the rules suggest that it also includes the light shaded box directly underneath, as well.

The Whaling Board is seven spaces. The Return area is just the area at the top, and does not include the space below with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd printed on it. I'm not sure how the rules suggest otherwise - can you clarify? Is it because of the arrow's position in the visual example on page 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, I was careful to say that the rules "suggest", rather than actually "say". Anyway, this is why I asked the question:

1) Six spaces are numbered. One isn't. Though I realize that the numbers only indicate the amount of Food Tokens which have to be paid to go to a space, still, the lack of a number (or any icon) next to the top space leaves some doubt about whether or not it's an actual space. And if it's not an actual whaling space, then it must be part of the "RETURN" space.

2) From page 6, third sentence from the top: "Any ships moving into the Return space Return to port in the same order as they selected whales in previous rounds."
And when I consider the above rule while also taking-in the wording on page 5 (in the blue shaded area): "Spaces on the whaling track are labeled 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to track the order in which ships arrive at the space. This order is important for Returning ships and selecting Whale Tokens.", I can draw a conclusion that since return order is just as important as arrival order is in any of the other spaces, then it would make sense for the "1st 2nd 3rd" to also be printed in the "RETURN" space, as well.

Bottom Line: It could be interpreted, due to the wording I quoted above, that since Return order is as equally important to the game's mechanics as arrival order is in the whaling spaces, and considering that there is no "space number" printed next to the top ["1st 2nd 3rd"] row, that that row can be considered part of the "RETURN" box. This makes reasonable sense as it would enable the player to intuitively track 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Returns, as the rules stress is important to keep track of.

Sorry for the run-on sentence above! But as I head out the door I was struggling to write that sentence differently. In the end, my words suggest a pedantic attitude - and perhaps so. I usually read into some things too much and this may be one of those cases. As I said, the artwork left me with an original impression that matches your reply. But after studying the rulebook (as I "nerdly" do before playing any game), the rules I quoted above left me wondering what exactly the "RETURN" space is comprised of. Hence my OP question.

I hope I was successful in providing what you were looking for. By the amount of effort I've put into this admittedly unimportant post (when compared to the rest of life), one could draw the conclusion that I don't have a life. Can't be further from the truth, but when my brain gets stuck on something - no matter how trivial - I can't let it drop!

Thanks for your patience! I gotta run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
We appreciate you taking the time to work through the rules like this.
We really did our best to eliminate any ambiguity in the wording, but there's always something that can be interpreted differently. We'll see if we can make this even clearer in the next printing of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I struggled a bit with this too, but then realized I was mistakenly doing the whaling phase before moving the ships. You move first, so if you send a ship out to the 1 area (very likely near the end of the game), you need a space for it to move to so it can catch whales. Otherwise, it would move and return before it was able to do any whaling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
I struggled a bit with this too, but then realized I was mistakenly doing the whaling phase before moving the ships. You move first, so if you send a ship out to the 1 area (very likely near the end of the game), you need a space for it to move to so it can catch whales. Otherwise, it would move and return before it was able to do any whaling.

Exactly. It looks like an over-complicated way to track all that, but it works out so that if you send a ship out to the 4 space, it will return in the current round plus 4, and have 4 chances to catch a whale. And you always have a whole round between catching a whale and returning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.