Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick McClure
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering your thoughts on this:

I've been playing a lot of FUSE during my lunch break with some fellow coworkers because it's easy to get a few games in before break time is over. We usually call out which die we want to use after they've been rolled and try to compromise when multiple options are available. We've been getting better, but my coworker thinks we spend too much time overthinking our moves. He argues, "If you need a die, just snatch it up, and we'll deal with the consequences if there are dice left over."

Ultimately, I disagree. I admit that this is not a game for analysis paralysis - if you try to plan out ever move perfectly after each roll then you'll never get through all the bombs before the timer runs out. Still, losing dice when you can use them can really set you back, especially if more than one person is going to lose something. I think it's better to spend a few seconds trying to get everyone a die if possible.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure which is better, but I and my groups do tend to communicate. "I can use anything, take what you need" or "I need the green or the 2." Occasionally if I've got one die left on a card and it hasn't come up, when it does I will grab it, but the communication seems to work so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Heath
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Ouch, watch where you're pointing that thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
The more we communicate, the better we do, although there's no time to waste it seems like it sets us back by blindly rushing. One person just snatching the dice tends to make everyone (including them) put some back, and blindly taking cards from the middle usually leads to something like "okay, I can only take a blue 4". And in that case I don't blame you for snatching the blue 4 die

We've been trying to take on 2 player insane mode for a while now and the last few games we tried to complete the cards in difficulty order with the hardest available first and it's worked out well for us although we've still not managed it yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do talk but we also snatch. For us that means grabbing the die you want and sliding it towards you, but NOT placing it on a bomb yet. We find that greatly speeds up the "negotiation" process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McClure
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
We do talk but we also snatch. For us that means grabbing the die you want and sliding it towards you, but NOT placing it on a bomb yet. We find that greatly speeds up the "negotiation" process.

I like this idea - kind of a combo of the two. I also agree that sometimes you need to just take something, especially if it will complete a bomb or it's something that is hard to get. There is a level 4 stack that can take anything for the first two and last two dice, but the middle one requires a yellow 1. If I'm on that level of the stack and a yellow 1 comes up, I'm taking it. Then again, if another yellow comes up that no one can use, there's a good chance that my yellow 1 is going right back into the bag . . . .cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By not placing it, I'm not really taking anything yet. For example, if I see a green 2 and I'm thinking that looks good for me I will slide it towards me and wait for the other dice to find homes. If somebody whines that they need my die and I can go with something else, then that's what we do. It's just so much faster than having a big chat first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.