Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like card games, and I like the idea of deckbuilding (in the LCG/CCG sense, not the Dominion sense), so I tried to get into an FFG LCG. I didn't want to play competitively. I was hoping that I could just hand the cards from one faction to a friend, we would both quickly (15 minutes or so) build a deck, and then play it. Unfortunately, I didn't find that this worked too well, mainly because of the host of specialized terminology in these games.

I'm looking for alternatives to this idea, and have three I am considering.

51st State: Master Set: I HATE Imperial Settlers. I don't like games where it where turn is 3 seconds, and then I have to wait a long time to do something again. I didn't really like the faction decks either. This is a shame, because IS could have been a cool engine building card game. I have heard that you can like 51st state even if you did not like Imperial Settlers.

Millennium Blades: I don't know CCG culture, so I am sure some of the jokes will be missed on me, but this seems to be a real-time game basically simulating what I was trying to do with an LCG

Baseball Highlights: 2045: I do not like deckbuilders a la Dominion where your deck gets larger. This one has the feeling of a deck construction game, plus I like baseball.

Mainly looking for thoughts on these three games, but will consider other options. I have played Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn and Dice Masters, but am not huge on the whole "kill the other mage" mechanic. Again, I do not like deck builders like Dominion of Ascension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Star Realms or Epic Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:
You could try Star Realms or Epic Card Game.

Star Realms is in the category of of deckbuilders where your deck gets larger, which I do not like. It is also not really a fun game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons is a good option. Plays best with 2.

Don't have insight on the 3 you've mentioned. Apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Summoner Wars? Easy to pick up, offers deck customization if you feel like it. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb

People at the 1 Player Guild helped me decide on The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. I wanted it to play Solo, but it's a Cooperative Game, so you can play with friends and guide them around the keywords.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't played the game yet, so I'll link to the thread with the comments from people that have. Hope this helps!

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23271951

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I haven't played it, everything I've read about Baseball Highlights: 2045 makes me think it's a win for you. Other ideas:

+1 for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, co-op can make the deckbuilding collaborative and more enjoyable (if not shorter)

Blue Moon Legends might be worth looking into

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baseball highlighs 2045 was a game I liked but I felt it was lacking in the deck-building aspect, at lest from what I expected. You'll really only switch out 1 card each round. I'd still suggest trying it if you can though because even though thats a small input it does feel like it has a bigger effect since the card count stays down.

You may want to check out Pixel Tactics. Its a game thats building up to what you want. Not sure if its there yet as I played it only with the first box but it scratched that CCG itch for myself.

My experience may be small with games like what your looking for but I hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
You may want to check out Pixel Tactics. Its a game thats building up to what you want. Not sure if its there yet as I played it only with the first box but it scratched that CCG itch for myself.

I don't know if it's as easy to learn as OP wants, though. I have two boxes, and it does take a while to get all the rules.

Good game, but it's worth noting it's AP prone and kinda complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It comes out this fall, you might want to check out Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set, it's styled after lcgs and ccgs but with a more real time strategy setup of technology and resource management/enhancement. It does use a deck building mechanic, but in a very different way than deck builders. In codex you choose three sets of cards (each set about 26cards) and you have a starter deck of 10 cards. Every turn you add two cards to your discard pile which will cycle into your deck. This is like choosing a unit to build in an rts. Deck building is straight forward because you only choose 3 sets of cards. Also all the factions are nicely balanced and have different strategies to pursue, and counters to other decks strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you prefer to pre-build your decks, rather than build them during the game itself, no matter the mechanism, right?

If that's the case, then as others have said, Summoner Wars seems like the best popular match for what you're talking about. Epic Card Game was mentioned, and that might even fit better depending on the specifics of what you like--it's also very affordable. So add one more vote for both of those.

And I'll throw in another voice for the LoTR LCG, because it really does avoid much of what you sound like you're concerned about. There's still specialized terminology, but no more than any other game of comparable weight, and because it's cooperative, no one is at a disadvantage (or rather, everyone is!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a former LCG fanatic, I can confidently recommend Blue Moon Legends! It could be perfect.

Comes with pre-made (good) decks to hand friend.
Can customize decks like and LCG, but only need to buy 1 box.
Everything that ever was, and ever will be is in the box. No monthly packs to worry about and sort.
The game comes with 2 rule books, one for beginners and advanced players. There is a suggested progression of the factions to learn the terminology one step at a time.
No killing the other mages. You're competing for dragons.
It's designed by Reiner Knizia

Here are the dragons:

Millennium Blades, while awesome, has a long play time and set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
I like card games, and I like the idea of deckbuilding (in the LCG/CCG sense, not the Dominion sense), so I tried to get into an FFG LCG. I didn't want to play competitively. I was hoping that I could just hand the cards from one faction to a friend, we would both quickly (15 minutes or so) build a deck, and then play it. Unfortunately, I didn't find that this worked too well, mainly because of the host of specialized terminology in these games.

I'm looking for alternatives to this idea, and have three I am considering.

51st State: Master Set: I HATE Imperial Settlers. I don't like games where it where turn is 3 seconds, and then I have to wait a long time to do something again. I didn't really like the faction decks either. This is a shame, because IS could have been a cool engine building card game. I have heard that you can like 51st state even if you did not like Imperial Settlers.

Millennium Blades: I don't know CCG culture, so I am sure some of the jokes will be missed on me, but this seems to be a real-time game basically simulating what I was trying to do with an LCG

Baseball Highlights: 2045: I do not like deckbuilders a la Dominion where your deck gets larger. This one has the feeling of a deck construction game, plus I like baseball.

Mainly looking for thoughts on these three games, but will consider other options. I have played Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn and Dice Masters, but am not huge on the whole "kill the other mage" mechanic. Again, I do not like deck builders like Dominion of Ascension.

51st State IS Imperial Settlers, so I'd take it off your list.

I have Millennium Blades and really enjoy it. I've never played a single CCG, so don't worry about getting the jokes.

Baseball Highlights: 2045 is a deck builder. It's one of my favorite games, but I wouldn't recommend it in your case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, you may want to check out Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game which is similar in some regards.

Other games to perhaps consider are Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set or any of the other similar base sets.

All these have decks/card management of some sort, and something here might peak your interest. Just read the reviews carefully, and make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
The Warmachine and Hordes "High Command" Deckbuilders might be just what you are looking for. In the core sets, each player has access to 6 different sets of 12 cards, but you only use 3 in a given game.

There is a bit of deckbuilding in the beginning that you choose your faction then choose three casters out of 5 available and then they each give you a choice of 2 different sets you can add to your deck. Just enough choices to make things interesting but not so much that you have to spend alot of time building beforehand.

If you want to, you can tune each set by buying expansions, but each core set comes with 4 factions, each with 6 sets each so you need not buy anything else.

I think right now you can get the Warmachine and Hordes Core sets (they are compatible) for 10 and 12 bucks respectively at MM and that would give you 8 factions to choose from.

One other option if you liked the old Decipher star wars CCG would be to buy a batch of WARS TCG from Hills Wholesale. 6 starter decks and 2 Booster boxes is $20
http://www.wholesalegaming.biz/wars/
Then divide by faction and put together a selection of cards from each faction that someone can effectively build a deck from. There are some ideas for similar things here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12488/wars-trading-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Maybe Summoner Wars? Easy to pick up, offers deck customization if you feel like it. Great game.

For what it's worth (which admittedly isn't very much), I'm a fan of deck-building games too, but I didn't like this one. The comeback mechanics feel supremely obnoxious to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mkaup366 wrote:
It comes out this fall, you might want to check out Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set, it's styled after lcgs and ccgs but with a more real time strategy setup of technology and resource management/enhancement. It does use a deck building mechanic, but in a very different way than deck builders. In codex you choose three sets of cards (each set about 26cards) and you have a starter deck of 10 cards. Every turn you add two cards to your discard pile which will cycle into your deck. This is like choosing a unit to build in an rts. Deck building is straight forward because you only choose 3 sets of cards. Also all the factions are nicely balanced and have different strategies to pursue, and counters to other decks strategies.

Thanks for taking time to mentioning this one; I had never heard of it before, but it sounds like something I should check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lluluien wrote:
mkaup366 wrote:

Thanks for taking time to mentioning this one; I had never heard of it before, but it sounds like something I should check out.

You are very welcome! I played magic for a decade and have been playing lcgs for about four years now, and while I enjoy them, I find the times where there's a good, balanced and interesting game to be too infrequent. Trying a new deck involves a lot of trial and error, and usually a matchup favors one deck over the other. From playing a bit of codex, and seeing its development it looks like every game will be relevant, and that players choices will really lead to victory or defeat. I also grow a bit tired of lcgs relying on new content to keep the game alive and fresh. This is where codex really shines because it's been designed more like Starcraft, which people still play, it's still awesome and relevant, and people continue to hone their skills in playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. Here are a few thoughts:

I have played Summoner Wars, and it just didn't grab me. I know there is more there now for customization of factions, but I already traded the game away once, and won't be getting back into it.

I have heard that Millennium Blades has a long play time, but I am curious how that can be since most of the game is real time?

I'm looking for a competitive game, so the LtR:LCG is a no go. So is Pathfinder, although I do own a base set that I haven't gotten around to playing.

I have played Baseball Highlights, just the base set, a few times, and I like the gameplay. It feels more like a deck construction game because your deck stays so small, you really get to see the affects of the cards you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
I was hoping that I could just hand the cards from one faction to a friend, we would both quickly (15 minutes or so) build a deck, and then play it. Unfortunately, I didn't find that this worked too well, mainly because of the host of specialized terminology in these games.

+1 Blue Moon Legends to address exactly these concerns - premade factions which you can play as-is or do limited deckbuilding in a variety of ways.

Terminology isn't especially specialized, but it does use an uncommon system of card text reading "you" or "I", meant to be read aloud. So, "you may not draw cards" means your opponent may not draw cards (not you, the player of the card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:

I have heard that Millennium Blades has a long play time, but I am curious how that can be since most of the game is real time?

I just played Millennium Blades this weekend. It's a real time trading and buying game in the deck building phase. But, the phases are timed. All told you will spend about 20 minutes in the deck building phase and then I'd say 15-20 in the dueling phase. With three of each of those rounds you're talking, if we're conservative, 105 minutes(excluding any setup and take down). It's a neat game and you definitely get that feel of a CCG/LCG. Your choices matter in the dueling phase. We had a stack of cards about 8 inches high(if not bigger), at least, and only got through about 1/3rd of the deck(which was only about half of the total cards we could have used), so it has a lot of replay-ability. I would definitely check it out if it has piqued your interest.

Oh, and the decks are only about 8 cards, so you can really see everything come out with your strategy and what you buy.

I'll throw in for the High Command set of games. They are really fun and I think they might be in your wheel house. Only reason I traded mine away is it just wasn't getting to the table like I wanted. I wanted to dig in deep and no one around here wanted too.

Edit: I suggested Ashes, but I went back and looked at your original post and noticed you mentioned it =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels Of The Multiverse requires no deck building and is co-op. Also it's rules are very simple to teach. That might scratch the same itch. The amount or products released for that game is quite extensive at this point, but there is no need to purchase all the it at once.

Giga-Robo is on kickstarter till August 10th 2016, but also has a free demo on tabletopia (linked on the campaign page) and it has deck customization in a box. Also mini combat for positioning. That gives me the same feeling of an LCG without the pressure of competitive play and the need to find other players with enough deckbuilding knowledge.

I played Summoner Wars for a long time and it requires very little to no deckbuilding at all if you don't want it. Even my wife liked the game, and she's not big into competitive card battle games. It does have the kill the other mage mechanic though.

FFG's Warhammer Quest card game is a pretty good option too in the sense that it's pretty easy to pick up and play a dungeon with someone. It's co-op not competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Playbook Football has sets of cards depicting offense defense special teams. It could be a substitute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Carhat
msg tools
mbmbmb
euronoob wrote:
KissellMissile wrote:
I was hoping that I could just hand the cards from one faction to a friend, we would both quickly (15 minutes or so) build a deck, and then play it. Unfortunately, I didn't find that this worked too well, mainly because of the host of specialized terminology in these games.

+1 Blue Moon Legends to address exactly these concerns - premade factions which you can play as-is or do limited deckbuilding in a variety of ways.

Terminology isn't especially specialized, but it does use an uncommon system of card text reading "you" or "I", meant to be read aloud. So, "you may not draw cards" means your opponent may not draw cards (not you, the player of the card).

Blue. Moon. Legends.

I seriously don't see enough people talking about this game enough, it feels the LCG itch without having a chase at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.