Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...this should probably be a poll, but I'd really like your feedback.

When I conduct an auction I remove all items in the auction from the Marketplace (even if the BIN is the same as the Marketplace listing). I also remove from my trade list once I place an item in an Auction.

So...In you opinion what is bad form:

Nothing...I want the best deal I can possibly get. I start an Auction and I get an offer I like I just pull the item from the Auction - even in the final hours or minutes and even if it has multiple bids.

Taking a trade offer once an auction item has bids...otherwise I'll take a trade and remove the item from the Auction.

Taking a trade offer once an auction has started and removing it from the Auction - bids or no bids.

Taking a Marketplace sale once an Auction has started even if it sells at the BIN price.

I'm currious because I've seen all sorts of things and I'd like to get people's opinions on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually put any marketplace listings on hold for the duration of the auction, but don't bother with the trade list. If I happen to receive a good trade offer mid auction, I wouldn't have a problem removing it (given that the header of the auction states that such is a possibility).

Just be clear and concise in your auction header so buyers are aware that there is a possibility that you would either trade it or sell it via marketplace if they want to just go there and buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal opinion is that you reject any other offers while the auction is in place. The only exception is if there is a BIN, and the offer received is > or = to the BIN price.

I expect bidders to honor their bids, why shouldn't I expect myself to honor them as well? If you didn't do this, how can I as bidder trust that you will honor a deal if you don't get the price you like?

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because someone just deleted a bid they placed on one of my auctions. I consider that pretty bad form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Manser
Canada
Didsbury
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
My personal opinion is that you reject any other offers while the auction is in place. The only exception is if there is a BIN, and the offer received is > or = to the BIN price.

I expect bidders to honor their bids, why shouldn't I expect myself to honor them as well? If you didn't do this, how can I as bidder trust that you will honor a deal if you don't get the price you like?

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because someone just deleted a bid they placed on one of my auctions. I consider that pretty bad form.

I agree (mostly) with this post. Although I've never actually initiated an auction on BGG, I would consider it bad form to remove an item if someone has bid on it. The only time I would consider removing an item is if no bids had been placed and someone offered me a trade for something I wanted.
As for the poster's problem where someone retracted their bid, although it sucks, I also try to keep in mind that real life does creep into this hobby of ours and sometimes that extra money someone was going to use to buy my item has to go to other things instead (I've had it a couple times on EBay and I just roll with it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Just be clear and concise in your auction header so buyers are aware that there is a possibility that you would either trade it or sell it via marketplace if they want to just go there and buy it.

OK - I like this. I probably will continue to remove items from the Marketplace and my Trade lists, but...if people don't then good form would be to include all disclaimers like this in the Auction Header.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a person who is primarily a buyer, I don't so much mind if a seller removes an item from the auction, with or without bids, if they get a better offer through outside channels. It makes sense; if someone puts forth a better offer, they have essentially outbid me and I can't really fault the seller for taking it.

The big exception, however is BIN prices. I'd be pretty pissed if I agreed to a BIN price and the seller pulled the rug out from under me. I'm sure there could be extenuating circumstances where I'd be ok with it. But I am of the opinion that if you put something up for BIN, you need to honor it; that's the whole point of the BIN concept.

But I agree with a previous post: just manage expectations in the auction header and people will have less cause to complain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
My personal opinion is that you reject any other offers while the auction is in place.

Agree with you on this.

nate_lockhart wrote:

And agree again...

nate_lockhart wrote:

Should have added that. Yes, things happen but retracting a bid is bad form. If someone had to do so I'd certainly allow it, but I'd still consider it bad form unless they had a good reason - shared via GM and not through the Auction posts...I kind of hate the back & forth within Auction posts (although...I've done some of that myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it defintely is OK to leave them on all sale/trade avenues until such time as there's a bid. At that point, I'd say it should be removed from everything except if it's listed in the marketplace at a price equal to or greater than the BIN.

This, of course, all assumes you are checking your account multiple times a day to ensure someone doesn't bid and someone else buys it in the marketplace for less that your BIN.

In fact I do something similar, I have some games up in the GenCon Math Trade that are also listed for sale. I will be removing them from sale tonight or tomorrow morning so that I don't accidentally sell and trade them away. I will probably put them back up after the MathTrade if they don't trade. And I believe 100% that if life gets in the way and I forget and they trade and sell that I have to purchase a new copy in order to ensure both deals are consumated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yatsuo wrote:
someone retracted their bid, although it sucks, I also try to keep in mind that real life does creep into this hobby of ours and sometimes that extra money someone was going to use to buy my item has to go to other things instead.

Understood, not life and death here...we're just talking boardgames. While there is some emotion...real life does go on. Nice point....Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knuteski wrote:
I believe 100% that if life gets in the way and I forget and they trade and sell that I have to purchase a new copy in order to ensure both deals are consumated.

Yep, I've done that actually. Forgot about a trade and accepted another for the same game. Had to go buy a copy and use that for the second trade. Expensive mistake but the right thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
I've personally never had a problem with auctions that say "I'm also open to trades, and if I accept a trade I'll remove the auction item." I feel like I have the same opportunity as anyone to propose a trade, and "losing" to a trade doesn't seem or feel different much different than losing to a higher bidder.

Regarding items on the Marketplace, this makes sense to me if the Marketplace price is also the BIN price. You could then put a note at the start of the auction saying "These items are currently listed on the Marketplace at their BIN prices. If someone buys the item via the Marketplace but forgets to post here, I'll BIN the item for them." If anything, this makes it more convenient for us buyers.

However, I see one rare but potentially major problem: if person A BINs the item in the auction, and Person B, seeing this, rushes over to the Marketplace to buy it out from under Person A, then you have a recipe for bad blood. Fully resolvable, but you'll likely want to also update the Marketplace listing to give folks a heads-up about timing and let viewers of the listing know that preference will be given to someone who BINs the item at the auction if they happen to occur on the same day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
The big exception, however is BIN prices. I'd be pretty pissed if I agreed to a BIN price and the seller pulled the rug out from under me.

Just had this happen a few weeks back. I submitted a BIN offer to an item. Worse, the auction had "$XXX in BIN ships free". So I BIN'd a few other items to get up to and over the $XXX limit. I find out at auction end that the main item sold through another method, and now I owe $YY.ZZ dollars for shipping the other items. (being vague on the numbers intentionally)

soblue

I was pretty unhappy about this. As others have said, it's a game, life goes on. But I've learned a lesson and will certainly be more reluctant to do business with that individual again, despite an otherwise well regarded rating.

And, as my wife will point out, it's not like we don't have (TOO MANY she will say...is that possible?) other games to play, not including the ever-growing "pile of shame". <-- OK, to this I admit she has a point.

~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
I see one rare but potentially major problem: if person A BINs the item in the auction, and Person B, seeing this, rushes over to the Marketplace to buy it out from under Person A, then you have a recipe for bad blood.

Interesting. What happens if they don't rush over to the Marketplace to buy it but simply legitimately buy from the Marketplace nearly the same time someone does a BIN in the Auction? Arguably the Marketplace provides a more...intense experience when managing your inventory now that it has been improved.

Seems like the whole thing could be avoided by simply putting your items on hold in the Marketplace while running your Auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
Just had this happen a few weeks back. I submitted a BIN offer to an item. Worse, the auction had "$XXX in BIN ships free". So I BIN'd a few other items to get up to and over the $XXX limit. I find out at auction end that the main item sold through another method, and now I owe $YY.ZZ dollars for shipping the other items. (being vague on the numbers intentionally)

OK...this is another GREAT reason not to keep things live in the Marketplace while running the same item in an Auction. VERY disappointing to BIN and find out you did not get what you were counting on.

This seems VERY poor to me. Marketplace and Auctions involve Customer Service. Your name and reputation are at risk.

I understand some of the points made for keeping things Active on trade lists, but sounds like there are good reasons for not doing that as well.

Where is the middleground here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kokaly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
[q="Oph1d1an"]

soblue

I was pretty unhappy about this. As others have said, it's a game, life goes on. But I've learned a lesson and will certainly be more reluctant to do business with that individual again, despite an otherwise well regarded rating.

~Steve

I think that would be grounds for nullifying your bids but I guess it depends on what the potential aggravation means to you.

I will only allow local pickup to actual locals now. Had someone win an auction, said he was "going through town next week" and wanted to pick it up. Even though I contacted him ahead of time both ways he never responded in time. Then asked for a shipping quote, gave a sob story on the cost and asked if he could cancel. I let it go but never even got a thank you.

Oh well, lesson learned and only cost me a little in opportunity cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.