Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest USAopoly release Star Trek Panic is a US/Canada release only due to licensing constraints.

Will the Hogwarts game be released in Europe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natasha T
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The USAopoly website says only the US and Canada also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sublimestars wrote:

I was going to say that this seemed odd since WB doesn't need to impose that kind of restriction on their property. But then I checked the FAQ on the USAopoly website and I get the impression that all of their games are US/Canada Only. So I think the issue may have to do with the company's distribution system and not licensing. (Does USAopoly normally distribute outside North America? I honestly don't know.) It was my understanding that Rowling has tried to make sure that the money from HP related licensing comes back to Britain as much as is possible. It must be impossible for her to track every piece of merchandise created, but I wonder if she might not approve of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ion
msg tools
However, a lot of the other USAopoly games, including the other HP themed games (where it says US/Canada only), seem to be available over Amazon UK or Amazon.de (directly or other resellers) by no big price differences.

Star Trek Panic however seems impossible to find there and you have to import it directly from the US with huge transport charges, so I reckon it's a different issue with that one.

So I still see hope to get this kinda easily to Europe
I'd really want this game at launch, but I fear that we would have to wait a bit for it to come available without paying extravagant preorder/shipping charges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk: Game of Thrones was a USAopoly game that made it to the UK eventually. Harry Potter would sell well here in the UK - because it was set in the UK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked USAopoly and they confirmed N America only so have asked J.K. Rowling if she knows of any way outside N America to get it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They might be holding off in the EU and UK for an Essen release.

EDIT: Corrected for Brexit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
davypi wrote:
sublimestars wrote:

I was going to say that this seemed odd since WB doesn't need to impose that kind of restriction on their property. But then I checked the FAQ on the USAopoly website and I get the impression that all of their games are US/Canada Only. So I think the issue may have to do with the company's distribution system and not licensing. (Does USAopoly normally distribute outside North America? I honestly don't know.) It was my understanding that Rowling has tried to make sure that the money from HP related licensing comes back to Britain as much as is possible. It must be impossible for her to track every piece of merchandise created, but I wonder if she might not approve of this.

Universal studios probably makes more off licensed property than anyone, and that is located in the US. If she was really serious about this she would have made them build one in Britain as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.