$20.00
$60.00
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We already knew that Trump admired Putin and even Saddam Hussein a little bit. Now we get a glimpse of the methods he thinks are acceptable.

According to New York Times today, Trump he hoped Russia did hack Hillary Clintons email and would find the missing emails for which the American Press would largely thank him. Well, I guess as long as it's Clinton we should all invite foreign powers, especially those headed by ex-KGB members, to meddle in our elections.

Tell us Mr. Trump what other foreign powers would you encourage to take a hand in our democratic process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
We already knew that Trump admired Putin and even Saddam Hussein a little bit. Now we get a glimpse of the methods he thinks are acceptable.

According to New York Times today, Trump he hoped Russia did hack Hillary Clintons email and would find the missing emails for which the American Press would largely thank him. Well, I guess as long as it's Clinton we should all invite foreign powers, especially those headed by ex-KGB members, to meddle in our elections.

Tell us Mr. Trump what other foreign powers would you encourage to take a hand in our democratic process?
The ones who give him money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Is it a good thing when foreign powers mettle in the domestic electoral politics of another country?

Or, to put it another way, was this an acceptable use of taxpayer money?
What has that got to do with foreign nations interfering in the internal affairs of your nation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Is it a good thing when foreign powers mettle in the domestic electoral politics of another country?

Drew is so NeverTrump when someone posts a thread about Trump doing something actually possibly treasonous he complains about a liberal NGO misusing government funds, that's how NeverTrump he is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

What has that got to do with foreign nations interfering in the internal affairs of your nation?

You're right. I'm trying to find principles among people who have none.
Principles, so you think then that if the USA does something to someone then is OK for that to be done back to the USA by someone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

No, but that's not really the right question. I think there are two that are better and more relevant:

1. If we are going to provide funds to NGOs, how should we approach the broad question of what those NGOs may do with the resources provided? Note that in this case they abided by the terms of their grant but then when the grant was over they moved into activities that would have been barred under the grant. They weren't using the funds directly for that purpose, but inevitably if we support a group for a particular time or project we will be providing them infrastructure, contacts, etc., that may last beyond our direct involvement.

2. Is this really the best you can come up with to divert attention from Trump literally saying that he hopes Russia hacked the DNC? An NGO "linked to" Obama that engaged in campaign activities using infrastructure left over from its work on a peace initiative?

I thought you wanted our partisanship to be subtle or smart, rather than obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
And it's all well and good for Democrats to start worrying about Russia now . . .
I'm not sure it is so much worrying about Russia as much as it is worrying that a viable candidate for U.S. President would like a foreign power to illegally hack his opponent. He could call for China, North Korea or the Netherlands to do it. The main point of Evil is the asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw someone point this out:

NYT wrote:
The Republican platform, adopted last week in Cleveland, calls on the United States to “respond in kind and in greater magnitude” to cyberattacks. “Russia and China see cyber operations as part of a warfare strategy during peacetime,” it says. “Our response should be to cause diplomatic, financial and legal pain.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I'd also like a pony.
Sure, and when a liberal asks for a pony, you tell them to get a job and pay for it themselves. Where is the consistency?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

No, but that's not really the right question.

It's a simple comparison. I don't like foreign powers messing with our elections. We shouldn't be messing with anyone else's. That's called "consistency."

I would like to see RSPers be more consistent, instead of approving of something if Obama/Hillary/random Democrat does it, and screaming bloody murder if Trump/random Republican does it.

I'd also like a pony.
If only they had approved of it.

No one approved of the Clinton's hacking anyone, or Obama.

As to consistency, I thought you considered hacking by foreign governments a major issue. Serious enough to debar Clinton from office, well what about condoning such actions then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

No, it's not. However, this doesn't relate to the subject of this post.

Drew1365 wrote:
And it's all well and good for Democrats to start worrying about Russia now . . . 4 years after they mocked Romney for the same thing . . . but where were you when the Clinton Foundation was doing this.

And again, this isn't related to the original post.

Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

You're right. I'm trying to find principles among people who have none.

Trying to derail or change the subject has very little to do with a search for principles. The principle being examined here is whether you think an American candidate for president should be inviting a foreign power to interfere with an American election?

Do you or don't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

It's a simple comparison. I don't like foreign powers messing with our elections. We shouldn't be messing with anyone else's. That's called "consistency."

I would like to see RSPers be more consistent, instead of approving of something if Obama/Hillary/random Democrat does it, and screaming bloody murder if Trump/random Republican does it.

I'd also like a pony.

When did Hillary Clinton tacitly endorse another power interfering with our elections?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I'd also like a pony.

But you're conflating very different things into a binary question. One example is of a foreign power hacking a major party and leaking emails to damage one candidate in an election. The other is a domestic NGO that had a grant do do peace work and then, after the grant ended, used infrastructure built during the grant to engage in political work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I'd also like a pony.

But you're conflating very different things into a binary question. One example is of a foreign power hacking a major party and leaking emails to damage one candidate in an election. The other is a domestic NGO that had a grant do do peace work and then, after the grant ended, used infrastructure built during the grant to engage in political work.
Also it means that Putin actively wants Donny, which must speak volumes about how he views him.

Clinton is the candidate that Putin is actively scared of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Both relate to interference in another country's elections. Hence my original question, searching for a foundational principle.

I get that, but by trying to treat the question as binary I think you make the principle almost meaningless.

In one case you have direct espionage with the specific goal of affecting an election's outcome. In the other you have the funding of a domestic group for an unrelated purpose and the group then continuing after the end of funding to get involved in politics.

If the principle is that we should not do anything that could possibly interfere with an election then, given the law of unintended consequences, it's just not a meaningful principle at all. We can't know what a group of people engaged in one type of work will choose to do going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Both relate to interference in another country's elections. Hence my original question, searching for a foundational principle.

I get that, but by trying to treat the question as binary I think you make the principle almost meaningless.

In one case you have direct espionage with the specific goal of affecting an election's outcome. In the other you have the funding of a domestic group for an unrelated purpose and the group then continuing after the end of funding to get involved in politics.

If the principle is that we should not do anything that could possibly interfere with an election then, given the law of unintended consequences, it's just not a meaningful principle at all. We can't know what a group of people engaged in one type of work will choose to do going forward.

"Principle" is the wrong term here, I think.

Joking aside, I think that's the nature of the beast with the GOP now. The "Democrat party" is the worst possible enemy and must be defeated...

There's just too much at stake!

Trump saying he's pro-hacking is totally in line with the Party falling in line behind them. That's what you do when you're battling pure evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she lost all these emails, then Russia is just being helpful in finding them. Whats the big deal ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
If she lost all these emails, then Russia is just being helpful in finding them. Whats the big deal ?

Quoted for fuckballs hilarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Honestly Chad, I love your contributions to RSP but the extent to which you're casting pearls before swine here is borderline absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

Joking aside, I think that's the nature of the beast with the GOP now. The "Democrat party" is the worst possible enemy and must be defeated...

There's just too much at stake!

This coming from a partisan whose side claims to be running against Hitler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a quick Google and am still confused.

What emails were hacked and released?

If they were pure campaign related stuff, why wouldn't an opponent of that campaign be happy it happened, regardless of who did it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
When did Hillary Clinton tacitly endorse another power interfering with our elections?

Hmmmm. Maybe when she shook down foreign countries for donations to the Clinton Foundation?

The Clinton Foundation? When that that "person" run for elective office?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I see I'm living rent-free in John Brier's head again.

Hey I thought you plonked me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
Really, there are RSP'ers standing up to selling out Americans to the Russians for political gain? The Russians?

Reagan is rolling in his grave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Reagan is rolling in his grave.

grave? I thought they just rolled his corpse out on stage the other night.

Maybe that was Bob Dole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.