Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu Lemire
Canada
Ottawa/Hull
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

This is probably my fault. Maybe I don't research games as much as I used to but it seems to me that there are less and less quality Euro games that are released.

So far in 2016 it seems to me that only games with a strong theme that I am not at all attracted by (Scythe, Mystic Vale and so on) or Kickstarter games (which I totally avoid) seem to be coming up.

Sure there are still some euro games of my type that seem interesting (Dynasties, Odin's Feast, Delphi Oracle) but I feel that games like that are less and less common.

Is it a trend in the board game business or is it just me?

Are there interesting euro games that I have missed on in 2016 so far that you would recommend? Or future ones that are to be released that you think that euros lovers like myself should have on their radar?

Just to give you an idea, in the last two years, some of the games that I have enjoyed the most are: Istanbul, Bruges, Legends of Andor, Nippon, Marco Polo, Russian Railroads, Concordia, The Gallerists, Oh my goods!, Port-Royal, Porta Nigra, Rococo, Isle of Skye, Broom Service, Orléans, Suburbia, Quadropolis, 7 Wonders Duel.

Any kind of comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for one, the last part of the Andor trilogy, Legends of Andor: The Last Hope, will be released (in German) at Essen this year.

I am also looking forward to Evolution: Climate, though I'm not sure it counts as a Euro (it's a strategic and tactical card game, and it's very good).

And what about Bios: Genesis? Sure, that is also thematic, but in a different sense from what people usually say when they mean "thematic game".

You might already know about City of Iron: Second Edition, which was released this year. I own the first edition and really enjoy it.

There may be others; I don't particularly look for soon-to-be-released Euros. (I've just bought several older ones that I haven't played enough yet.)

Edit: Oh, there are also Yokohama and West of Africa, but I know almost nothing about those, so this is not a recommendation, but I know other people were excited about them.
Edit2: This probably doesn't count as a 2016 release, but Troyes is being reprinted! It's awesome and I'm going to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Guilds of London is the euro everyone was talking about at Essen.

Mombasa came out last year but I see it talked about a lot still this year.

Via Nebula looks lightweight and cartoony but is supposed to be mid weight.

There are probably a bunch more that came out this year or will come out soon. And there is nothing wrong with going back a year, two, three, or more to find plenty of solid mid weight euros.

Edit:Steam Works came out last year again but I think it's a solid mid weight euro. Biggest downfall I think it has is it can be kinda fiddly.

Gold West also came out last year and is probably on the lighter side of mid weight. I like it a lot but it could be considered fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Seems like an odd time to assess which 2016 games are "good" (airquotes because that's a subjective term. For example Scythe is considered a masterpiece by many).

At this time, many 2016 euro games haven't been released yet, and besides, it seems to take at least a year for many of the better games to receive their due acclaim. For example, it took several years for Concordia to achieve its high status. Repost this thread in a year for better results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second Guilds of London

I bought this at Origins based on nothing but the hype and it was worth every penny. Excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to get too deep into the weeds of "what is a Euro?" but Scythe is considered by many to be a Euro in thematic clothing.

If you ever thought to yourself, "WTF does this mancala have to do with ancient Rome?" but like Trajan anyway, you should check out Paradox. The theme is pasted onto a combination of card drafting and a Bejeweled resource generation mechanism which is awesome but completely irrelevant to the theme. Very much a Euro and a fun one at that. It's technically a 2015 release but I think it just started wide distribution in 2016.

As others mentioned there are some heavy hitters getting a lot of hype such as Guilds of London and Yokohama. Look for the revamped deluxe version of Vinhos out later this year. Kraftwagen V6 Edition is the latest version of Kraftwagen with some tweaks that is coming out this year also.

So that's 5 so far which isn't a comprehensive list, plus we're a bit over 1/2 way through the year. There's plenty of time for a few more titles that suit you to pop up before year's end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi S
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2016 Releases:
Colony
Brasil
Teraforming Mars
Rococo: Jewelry Box expansion
A Feast for Odin
First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet
Istanbul: Brief & Siegal expansion
Great Western Trail
Black Orchestra
Haspelknecht English release
The Networks
Bruxelles 1893 reprint
Shakespeare: Backstage expansion
Valley of the Kings: Last Rites
Martians: A Story of Civilization
Vinhos Deluxe Edition
Scythe
Guilds of London
Troyes / Ladies of Troyes reprints
The Pursuit of Happiness
Prime Time
Agility
Ave Roma
At the Gates of Loyang reprint

2017 Releases:
Lisboa
Yokohama
Anachrony

Possible 2017 Reprints:
Belfort

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, it seems the trend of the past couple of years has been a flood of great euro games released at Essen with almost nothing released during the rest of the year. I would suggest taking this time to check some games from the past that you might have overlooked. Based on your collection, check out these "older" games:

ZhanGuo
Mombasa
Madeira
Keyflower
Brew Crafters
Arkwright
La Granja
Snowdonia
Trajan

For games that will be releasing later this year, check out these:

Great Western Trail
Vinhos Deluxe Edition
Brasil

Edit: Also +1 for Guilds of London
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally have been more impressed with the lighter Euros the last couple of years than the heavier ones.

For instance, I would rather play Imbotep three times back to back than Orleans once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I personally have been more impressed with the lighter Euros the last couple of years than the heavier ones.

For instance, I would rather play Imbotep three times back to back than Orleans once.

I disagree. Orleans rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyf55 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

What the heck are the goods for? And what the heck is money for? To me it is just a big bloated set collection game with a very bland scoring system. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good set collection game. But it needs to be more focused than Orleans is. And the scoring system can easily make or break a set collection game, and the system in Orleans is just not up to snuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
tonyf55 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

What the heck are the goods for? And what the heck is money for? To me it is just a big bloated set collection game with a very bland scoring system. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good set collection game. But it needs to be more focused than Orleans is. And the scoring system can easily make or break a set collection game, and the system in Orleans is just not up to snuff.

I agree fully about the goods and money being essentially useless (the only need for money is taxes and maybe a couple of buildings). However, the bag building is interesting enough to keep it until I get a chance to try the expansion (which seems to make goods collection more important). The scoring is quite bland, but I do enjoy pulling those people out of the bag!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
tonyf55 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

I agree fully about the goods and money being essentially useless (the only need for money and maybe a couple of buildings). However, the bag building is interesting enough to keep it until I get a chance to try the expansion (which seems to make goods collection more important). The scoring is quite bland, but I do enjoy pulling those people out of the bag!

The bag building thing is pretty cool. Orleans was not the first to do it, though. A more recent game that uses it is Automobiles. Automobiles puts a much more interesting game around the mechanic IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
pfctsqr wrote:
tonyf55 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

I honestly don't see Orleans as a set collection game? I mean, other than one building tile you're not rewarded for collecting sets; goods are just worth some amount of points.

I agree that it is kinda... bland, for lack of a better word, that that's all the goods are, and that there's generally not something more interesting to 'em than being points in Pog form. It does overpromise in its presentation, though I still rather enjoy the game for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Lemire
Canada
Ottawa/Hull
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings friends,

Many thanks to all of you for replying to my message. I took good notes of all your suggestions.

A lot of the games from previous years that were suggested are games that I have already played and forgot to put on the list (Like Zhanguo and Mombasa, Automobiles, Bruxelles 1893, for example)

The game Snowdonia is a game that I have heard of before but never really considered. It is now on top of my wish list and very much think that it could be a hit for me. Same with Guilds of London (Both of which are by the same author. How interesting).

About Orléans: Most people that I have played with really like this game. I never have a tough time finding players to play with at my game club. For me, it is one of my favorite game of the last 2 years. But it did not take that long to become a firm favorite whistle .

And while on that topic I am not sure what the comment about asking the same question in a year was all about. Good games are quickly spotted at my game club and most people I know do not need BGG and its rating to find out about good games. Concordia, for example, was quickly introduced by yours truly at the game club and became an immediate hit. To the point where it became overplayed

I totally understand that a lot of euros are released at Essen but I feel that usually, by this time of year, we usually have more quality euros. Looking at users' list for Essen 2016 I must say that there is nothing much that excite me. That does not mean that they are not good games, but nothing that attracts me so far.

But at the end this is not necessary a bad thing. Sure it is nice to play new releases. And yes there shall be some interesting new ones coming up soon.

I have always felt that the greatest trill comes from playing and discovering the same games over and over until they become part of oneself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.